U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: RP vs Shirley
Rocky Point 23 60.53%
Shirley 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,909,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Also on the issue of neighbors, you have the dump in Port Jeff / PJStation, dumpiness in Wading River, Ridge and Riverhead..
Rocky Point is soaking in it. Maybe people from RP are desensitized to it but we know the deal.

In all fairness -- Sound Beach, Miller Place, Mount Sinai -- stand between Rocky Point and PJV/PJS. To RP's immediate east, Shoreham has 6 listings of homes on mlsli exceeding $1 Million. Pricey dump?

The dumpiness of Riverhead and Flanders is probably equidistant between Shirley and RP, but as been pointed out previously, access to things via Sunrise makes it much faster to zip between Flanders/Riverhead and Shirley. Close proximity to North Bellport, Mastic and the reservation don't help Shirley's image one iota.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Also on the issue of neighbors, you have the dump in Port Jeff / PJStation, dumpiness in Wading River, Ridge and Riverhead..
Rocky Point is soaking in it. Maybe people from RP are desensitized to it but we know the deal.
That highlighted portion made me think of Madge and the Palmolive dish liquid commercials.

"You're soaking in it!"

Old 11-09-2011, 01:37 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,670,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
In all fairness -- Sound Beach, Miller Place, Mount Sinai -- stand between Rocky Point and PJV/PJS. To RP's immediate east, Shoreham has 6 listings of homes on mlsli exceeding $1 Million. Pricey dump?

The dumpiness of Riverhead and Flanders is probably equidistant between Shirley and RP, but as been pointed out previously, access to things via Sunrise makes it much faster to zip between Flanders/Riverhead and Shirley. Close proximity to North Bellport, Mastic and the reservation don't help Shirley's image one iota.
LOL OBH, I should've put a special font to signal the ridiculous satire in my post... I thought "soaking in it" and "desensitized" wouldve been enough ; )

Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,190,868 times
imagine paying 14k taxes in Shirley? lol.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
LOL OBH, I should've put a special font to signal the ridiculous satire in my post... I thought "soaking in it" and "desensitized" wouldve been enough ; )
I need to eliminate this headache of mine. My satire sensors completely failed!
Screw Dayquil. Is it hot toddy time yet?

Old 11-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
imagine paying 14k taxes in Shirley? lol.

Raul Esparza "There Is A Sucker Born Every Minute" - YouTube

Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,180,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Thank you!

P.S. I love Oakdale, the stretch from there to Blue Point on the S shore is beautiful and my favorite area of LI...you did live there for a long time right? correct me if I am confusing you with someone else on the forum...lol.
Yes, you are correct. I lived in Oakdale for almost 10 years. It is very convenient and overall a nice place to live.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Kelly, I am doing my best to convince my girlfriend to leave Rocky Point. She even sees now that it is going downhill fast....stores closing, drugs, gangs, white trash spandex crowd all over the place. Unfortunately she moved originally from Queens and didn't look close enough before she moved.
She is in the newer section which is not quite the same level of despair as the old section.

Sorry that you moved out there. Terrible mistake....but maybe it's for the best. Maybe you feel more comfortable in your own socio-economic environment.
There isn't a town on LI that hasn't had store closings or problems with drugs Recently and it's safe to say 90% have some gang influence no matter how slight. Don't make me tell the story about the pagans we treated after hours in my former practice in massapequa again.

I'm pretty sure making an accurate comparison of a store you might be familiar with in your town is relevant, but I guess it's only fair for you to bash the towns you don't like in every single thread without attempting to ever offer anything constructive or useful.

As for my socio-economic environment, I have stated here numerous times over that several years I've been here- I LOVE living in an area where I'm at the top of the food chain and I don't have the want or need to keep up with anyone. I've done credit checks in my business on hundreds of people in massapequa and ridge and I think you'd be very surprised by who has more available credit and better scores. You are completely unable to grasp concepts grounded in reality, so keep on spewing your negativity and trying to make yourself look smart, it's really working

Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
some good points made here. The thing is Kelly, you point to Kohls, fast food and dregs in Shirley, but is that really much different where you are or on the Silver Coast? I think Savaged will admit to a lot of this but his main point is it's similar in RP. I'm leaning towards Shirley here due to easier access back to civilization and other advantages.
Put your money where your mouth is pequa, why don't you head down to Shirley this Saturday and shop in kohls, maybe hit the dollar store and have lunch in checkers. You come back and tell us what you think, walk the walk before you talk the talk.

And honestly, just because your buddy's girlfriend lives in RP, it hardly makes you any kind of authority. Unless you two are both dating her and take the trips out there together stick to what you know.

Actually it s different where I live, we have a taco bell and a mcdonalds but we don't have a food store, any clothing stores, a Drug store, dollar store, liquor store or any gas stations that say open past 11pm. Again, please try to have some knowledge before you claim to be an expert.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 6,711,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
There isn't a town on LI that hasn't had store closings or problems with drugs Recently and it's safe to say 90% have some gang influence no matter how slight. Don't make me tell the story about the pagans we treated after hours in my former practice in massapequa again.

I'm pretty sure making an accurate comparison of a store you might be familiar with in your town is relevant, but I guess it's only fair for you to bash the towns you don't like in every single thread without attempting to ever offer anything constructive or useful.

As for my socio-economic environment, I have stated here numerous times over that several years I've been here- I LOVE living in an area where I'm at the top of the food chain and I don't have the want or need to keep up with anyone. I've done credit checks in my business on hundreds of people in massapequa and ridge and I think you'd be very surprised by who has more available credit and better scores. You are completely unable to grasp concepts grounded in reality, so keep on spewing your negativity and trying to make yourself look smart, it's really working
Interesting set of values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island