U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oyster Bay vs Massapequa
Oyster Bay 19 51.35%
Massapequa 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:19 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Jwoww is the LI'er.

Jwoww is from Franklin Square, NY. She is the ONLY native LI'er on the Jersey Shore show.

Snookie was born in Santiago, Chile. She grew up and attended school in Marlboro, NY.

(Yes, I looked this up when a NJ politician tried to deflect blame for the Jersey Shore cast onto LI.)
as usual we're way OT but I'm pretty sure she moved to Franklin Square after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
This poll is pretty telling, I suspected it would go down 60/40 in favor of Pequa.
We'll see, I thought if I did Syosset it would be too skewed.

I think Glen Cove and Oyster Bay may be the exceptions in Nassau to the Gold Coast advantage.
I was unaware of how bad the Illegal situation was in parts of N Shore Nassau.

Send in TR
; )

Crooks
Not me, I think it will go 50/50 because the poll is ambiguous. I have a feeling you knew this before making the poll , but its cool (RPs leading Shirley so don't worry). Saying just "Oyster Bay" can have different meanings to people. That's like saying Huntington vs Oyster Bay. Some will include all the areas Walter mentioned and known as the "Oyster Bay" area, some will look at just the hamlet of OB. If it's the entire "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" ZIP code area, then I would think Oyster Bay should win that easily. But then what does that poll show. Might as well do Sands Point vs Merrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Sagamore Hill is in the Village of Cove Neck ("Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address.)

About 9 of every 10 places with an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address (7,002 acres) are NOT in the Hamlet of Oyster Bay (763 acres): these places are in the Village of Centre Island, the Village of Cove Neck, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove, the Village of Laurel Hollow, the Hamlet of East Norwich, the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Upper Brookville and the Village of Mill Neck.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-09-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
as usual we're way OT but I'm pretty sure she moved to Franklin Square after college.
On Wikipedia --

Quote:
Farley attended Columbia High School, in East Greenbush, New York.
You made my day! She's an upstate NY transplant!

None of them are native LI'ers!

Take that, NJ!

(Now if NJ would only claim credit for Lindsay Lohan ...)

Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My bad... Large area. Ten lashes with a soggy tamale.

This is like saying Setauket is a lot bigger than the Village of Old Field. They may be different in terms of $$$ but they are one in the same in terms of schools and PO.
still not sure how the village of Oyster Bay Cove be the "exception" (your words) when it's more than 2x the size of the hamlet of Oyster Bay...

Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Not me, I think it will go 50/50 because the poll is ambiguous. I have a feeling you knew this before making the poll , but its cool (RPs leading Shirley so don't worry). Saying just "Oyster Bay" can have different meanings to people. That's like saying Huntington vs Oyster Bay. Some will include all the areas Walter mentioned and known as the "Oyster Bay" area, some will look at just the hamlet of OB. If it's the entire "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" ZIP code area, then I would think Oyster Bay should win that easily.
Yes it is ambiguous. On the Town level, Massapequa is part of Oyster Bay, so it's going versus itself.

But I think he actually meant the Hamlet of Oyster Bay for this thread.

Meanwhile, if I was buying a "regular" house I would prefer Massapequa.

And if I was buying a 7 figure plus house I would still prefer Massapequa to Oyster Bay ... Biltmore Shores, Harbour Green, Nassau Shores, Bar Harbor, etc.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-09-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Quote:
Yes it is ambiguous. On the Town level, Massapequa is part of Oyster Bay, so it's going versus itself.
Not so much at the town level. But at the 'community name' level which includes parts of all the towns below. Like how people in West Hills to as far as Northport are considered to live in "Huntington".

Oyster Bay Cove, New York Zip Code Boundary Map (NY)

9 of every 10 places with an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address (7,002 acres) are NOT in the Hamlet of Oyster Bay (763 acres): these places are in the Village of Centre Island, the Village of Cove Neck, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove, the Village of Laurel Hollow, the Hamlet of East Norwich, the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Upper Brookville and the Village of Mill Neck.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
This came up a while back.
; )

I just figured while tha battle for William Floyd Pkwy was raging that a battle for the 135 would be appropriate too.

Granted Oyster Bay is a bit far from the expressway for my tastes and has some crappy smaller homes at the bottom, I'm just curious what the public perception of both is like.

Seems like a fair fight. Let's keep the schools out of it and just focus on the general aesthetic.

Fair enough?
^^^
His original post. If he's mentioning "crappy houses at the bottom" I don't think he is including the wealthy villages, but discussing the hamlet. It would not be a "fair fight" if it included them.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,188,393 times
Quote:
... would be disgusted if he could see what's going on in Oyster Bay, location of his "Summer Whitehouse," today:

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
I think he was talking about "LEGAL" immagrants.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:02 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,029,780 times
Quote:
Yes, we'll be seeing you soon Crooks ; ) along with Gps' girl. Get back in the game man, it's never too late.
Massapequa Park is Wonderful

or Vollkornbrot & Irish soda bread

On the issue of Oyster Bay's out of control illegal problem, I_Love is spot on...go spend some time there or go to a few of the festivities during the summer and see what's going on. English is quickly being reduced to the minority..and it's showing in their school performance. Also 106 is a PITA.
I'm there about once a month and don't think its gotten much worse than when I was working in Oyster Bay thirteen years ago. 106 is a pain but it moves at the same pace as three lanes on the LIE on a typical evening. You get used to it. At least for me and apparently many others on the north shore, it's not all about the commute.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Quote:
Not me, I think it will go 50/50 because the poll is ambiguous. I have a feeling you knew this before making the poll , but its cool (RPs leading Shirley so don't worry). Saying just "Oyster Bay" can have different meanings to people. That's like saying Huntington vs Oyster Bay. Some will include all the areas Walter mentioned and known as the "Oyster Bay" area, some will look at just the hamlet of OB. If it's the entire "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" ZIP code area, then I would think Oyster Bay should win that easily. But then what does that poll show. Might as well do Sands Point vs Merrick.
No it really wasnt anything other than choosing the polar opposite of the Seaford/Oyster Bay.

Besides Pequa woulda been smacked had I stacked it against Syosset, Jericho or Woodbury. I had a feeling the illegal thing would come up, but truth be told I was a bit surprised by the lack of love for Oyster Bay. I did think it would drop closer to a split but I stand by my vote even though you prefer Shirley to RP. Had it been Pequa vs Syosset, most sane folks would have to side with the North.

Like I said(unlike the other battle) a fair fight.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or