U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oyster Bay vs Massapequa
Oyster Bay 19 51.35%
Massapequa 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2012, 03:36 AM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times

Advertisements

An even split. Right down the middle. South Shore types will prefer Massapequa for it's convenience to shopping and South Shore Beaches. They are beautiful. When I lived on the Island, I never minded going to Tobay or Jones, if I had an urge for an Ocean Beach. While growing up, we did that several times each summer.

North Shore types will have other opinions.

For me the hills and history are the grabbers, and I love the architecture and small town feel of Oyster Bay. Since it's the North East, Summer is only three months out of the year.
By US standards ALL of Long Island is "near the Ocean."

I also really love the diversity of Oyster Bay, and other North Shore towns. They are really not suburbs in the true sense of the word.

I do not like living in an area where any one or two ethnic groups predominate. It's a feeling that I am not comfortable with, and a situation that can lend itself to talking negatively about races, religions and ethnicities that are not your own, and clannish behavior. My parents actually chose Oyster Bay for this very reason.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,855,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
An even split. Right down the middle. South Shore types will prefer Massapequa for it's convenience to shopping and South Shore Beaches. They are beautiful. When I lived on the Island, I never minded going to Tobay or Jones, if I had an urge for an Ocean Beach. While growing up, we did that several times each summer.

North Shore types will have other opinions.

For me the hills and history are the grabbers, and I love the architecture and small town feel of Oyster Bay. Since it's the North East, Summer is only three months out of the year.
By US standards ALL of Long Island is "near the Ocean."

I also really love the diversity of Oyster Bay, and other North Shore towns. They are really not suburbs in the true sense of the word.

I do not like living in an area where any one or two ethnic groups predominate. It's a feeling that I am not comfortable with, and a situation that can lend itself to talking negatively about races, religions and ethnicities that are not your own, and clannish behavior. My parents actually chose Oyster Bay for this very reason.
Both Massapequa and the Village of Oyster Bay are very nice.
As I noted before the only public beach in Oyster Bay Village is awful and the public schools have taken a 10-year nosedive in comparison to their North Shore neighbors. While Oyster Bay Cove, East Norwich, Center Island and the portions of Laurel Hollow and Mill Neck that attend the Oyster Bay public schools are essentially 100% white, there is no doubt there is significant diversity in the downtown village area in Oyster Bay.
That being said, surely this is a case of personal opinion as to which area is better - doubtlessly in schools and proximity to beautiful beaches, Massapequa wins hands down.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM

840 posts, read 2,054,295 times
personal experience. I swear, 7 out of 10 people I know on long island that have sold homes move to massapequa. Near the water and overall, it is very nice, I just happen to prefer the history and geography of the north shore. I have summered on cape cod for 20 years so it's probably just an aesthetic thing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Without writing a biased, one sided, 12-paragraph op-ed piece on either area (like previous poster did who most likely has NEVER stepped foot in the Massapequas in their lifetime ), I will say that both are good places to live.

Massapequa may be a little more well-rounded, more convenient, and has more to offer. Oyster Bay has more unique and older housing stock/building architecture, hillier topography in comparison, more diversity.
Massapequa has several neighborhoods (waterfront, Old Harbour Green, Bar Harbor, Biltmore, Nassau shores, even much of the Park) that will rival, or trump most of OB in niceness. North Shore beaches are decent. South Shore beaches are some of the best in the country. We could go on and on...It really all comes down to personal preference, needs, familiarity, etc.

It looks like the vote is 50-50. Where are you getting the "pandemic opinion" on either side?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Both Massapequa and the Village of Oyster Bay are very nice.
As I noted before the only public beach in Oyster Bay Village is awful and the public schools have taken a 10-year nosedive in comparison to their North Shore neighbors. While Oyster Bay Cove, East Norwich, Center Island and the portions of Laurel Hollow and Mill Neck that attend the Oyster Bay public schools are essentially 100% white, there is no doubt there is significant diversity in the downtown village area in Oyster Bay.
That being said, surely this is a case of personal opinion as to which area is better - doubtlessly in schools and proximity to beautiful beaches, Massapequa wins hands down.
They are both nice, but very different.

White people are not a "monolithic group" either. Their is a diversity among white people, ethnically and religiously, that is not found in Massapequa.

Also, the aesthetic and history, are attractive to me.
Diversity is not new to Oyster Bay. There were just no Hispanics there 20% ago, with the exception of a Cuban family.

Lower income Hispanics are filling the void left be ethnic whites who once worked on estates and large homes.
People on the North Shore in general, do not think that "working on their home" is something like a pastime or a hobby. It's not a bad thing or a good thing. It just "is".

I know people who still live there, MANY, including my father, his wife, my half brother, full sister and my nephews. None of them have complained about a problem with Hispanic people, or "Illegals" as some people call them.

I have noticed more Hispanic names on my nephew and half-brother's Facebook roster, though, who live in Oyster Bay and attend the High School. So it would seem that the tradition of ethnic diversity continues.

The elder of my nephews went to UVA and returned to OB after graduation. My younger nephew will graduate from OBHS this June, and leave for Syracuse in the Fall.

My younger nephew will graduate from OBHS in several weeks and will attend Syracuse in the Fall. He enjoyed his HS experience, and has many friends from different backgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or