U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 PM
 
54 posts, read 262,320 times
Reputation: 68

Advertisements

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Reputation: 2206
poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Reputation: 1349
Freeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Kings Park, NY
1,440 posts, read 2,188,678 times
Reputation: 707
Lol @ all the VS. threads now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 PM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Freeport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: now nyc
1,458 posts, read 3,518,429 times
Reputation: 1244
SCHOOLS:
Roosevelt: 4/10
Freeport: 6/10
New Cassel: 4/10
Hempstead: 4/10
WINNER: FREEPORT
(based off of http://www.greatschools.org rankings)

LOCATION:
Both Freeport and Hempstead have a train station in them so;
WINNER: FREEPORT & HEMPSTEAD

AVG. HOUSEHOLD INCOME:
Roosevelt: $71,528
Freeport: $68,194
New Cassel: $69,056
Hempstead: $53,790
WINNER: ROOSEVELT
(figures derived from http://www.city-data.com/city)

SHOPPING:
WINNER: TIE (HEMPSTEAD & FREEPORT)

LOWER CRIME:
(I don't have any official stats but I do hear New Cassel on the news a lot less often than the other 3, so I will leave this blank)

PEACEFULNESS:
(I don't know)

AESTHETICS:
I would say Freeport, they not only have Nautical Mile but that Northwest Section which is very charming and beautiful-kinda reminds me of Garden City. (I don't know if that northwest section of freeport is considered freeport or roosevelt??) New Cassel doesn't have much going for it, Hempstead has a few nice section and Roosevelt has a some okay parts.
WINNER: FREEPORT

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 11-09-2011 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Reputation: 17194
If I had to choose I'd say Freeport. Back 30 years ago when my Aunt owned a home on New York Ave the area was magnificent and her house was gorgeous. Now? boy has it chnaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

LOWER CRIME:
(I don't have any official stats but I do hear New Cassel on the news a lot less often than the other 3, so I will leave this blank)
Much crime that occurs in New Cassel is misclassified as occurring in Westbury because all of New Cassel is in the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 PM
 
2,268 posts, read 2,211,881 times
Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
SCHOOLS:
Roosevelt: 4/10
Freeport: 6/10
New Cassel: 4/10
Hempstead: 4/10
WINNER: FREEPORT
(based off of http://www.greatschools.org rankings)

LOCATION:
Both Freeport and Hempstead have a train station in them so;
WINNER: FREEPORT & HEMPSTEAD

AVG. HOUSEHOLD INCOME:
Roosevelt: $71,528
Freeport: $68,194
New Cassel: $69,056
Hempstead: $53,790
WINNER: ROOSEVELT
(figures derived from
http://www.city-data.com/city)

SHOPPING:
WINNER: TIE (HEMPSTEAD & FREEPORT)

LOWER CRIME:
(I don't have any official stats but I do hear New Cassel on the news a lot less often than the other 3, so I will leave this blank)

PEACEFULNESS:
(I don't know)

AESTHETICS:
I would say Freeport, they not only have Nautical Mile but that Northwest Section which is very charming and beautiful-kinda reminds me of Garden City. (I don't know if that northwest section of freeport is considered freeport or roosevelt??) New Cassel doesn't have much going for it, Hempstead has a few nice section and Roosevelt has a some okay parts.
WINNER: FREEPORT

As to the "AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD INCOME FIGURES" given here:

It is hard to believe that, for areas such as these that are so often lambasted & derided as being filled with lower-echelon lower-income people, a notable underclass population, crime, poverty, gangs, et al, that people in these towns average out at income levels such as $71,528 (Roosevelt), $68,194 (Freeport), New Cassel ($69,056), and $53,790 (Hempstead). WOW !!!!! Even in New Cassel (where all you here about on these forums is poverty, crime, illegals, decay and dilapidation, et al), people there average out at $69.056.00 per year in income? Really??? Gee, if I made that kind of money consistently as a single (unmarried) self-employed person (or even if I were a marriage partner with a wife who made a reasonable income as well), I'd feel pretty darn good. I guess it just goes to show you how affluent the greater NYC - Long Island region really is & also how expensive it is to live here. These quoted income figures are probably considered to be "low income" for Long Island at-large by many of the readers and contributors to the Long Island City-Data forum.

I should have it so good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
As to the "AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD INCOME FIGURES" given here:

It is hard to believe that, for areas such as these that are so often lambasted & derided as being filled with lower-echelon lower-income people, a notable underclass population, crime, poverty, gangs, et al, that people in these towns average out at income levels such as $71,528 (Roosevelt), $68,194 (Freeport), New Cassel ($69,056), and $53,790 (Hempstead). WOW !!!!! Even in New Cassel (where all you here about on these forums is poverty, crime, illegals, decay and dilapidation, et al), people there average out at $69.056.00 per year in income? Really??? Gee, if I made that kind of money consistently as a single (unmarried) self-employed person (or even if I were a marriage partner with a wife who made a reasonable income as well), I'd feel pretty darn good. I guess it just goes to show you how affluent the greater NYC - Long Island region really is & also how expensive it is to live here. These quoted income figures are probably considered to be "low income" for Long Island at-large by many of the readers and contributors to the Long Island City-Data forum.

I should have it so good!
Well, you have to consider that the per capita income for these families is different. The household may make $70,000 per year, but chances are that it isn't a single person: It's likely a dual-income household with kids. Ther per capita income (total income for the area divided by the population of the area) for those areas is about $20,000 per year, which isn't that bad.

But still, that isn't that poor. Here in NYC, most of the areas known as being poverty and crime-stricken have a median income of $30,000 or less. In LI, most of those poor areas have a median income that's more than double that (with the exception of Hempstead and Wyandanch and maybe one or two other areas I'm forgetting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top