U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Brentwood vs. Wyandanch, which is worse?
Brentwood 5 22.73%
Wyandanch 8 36.36%
It's a tie 8 36.36%
Other - post answer below 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 PM
 
200 posts, read 383,889 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
It appears Brentwood is actually not in such bad shape according to the stats on City-Data. Average household income of near $70k (which I realize isn't much for Long Island, but still far from poor) and not a very high poverty or crime rate. What is so bad about the town?....OH WAIT...it's because it is mostly dark people who live there. And down in LI, if a town isn't at least 90% white; it is some place to "steer clear" of...that automatically makes it dangerous and ghetto. Also, I see that the majority of the town's population is hispanic, those must be all of the "illegal aliens" so often referred to on the LI forum. Hmmmm and how exactly do you all know they are illegal? Are you an ICE employee who knows for a fact that NONE of them have their proper documents? OR do you just happen to assume that anyone who speaks Spanish and has caramel colored skin must be "illegal".

I'm shocked so many of you move to NC. You know NC has THE fastest growing hispanic population of any state right? Also, and don't get too scared now; there are many towns and whole counties down there that have a MAJORITY black population!! Sorry to ruin the surprise for you all.

No wonder LI has been rated as the most segregated region of the country.
well said.

 
Old 11-10-2011, 05:44 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 2,053,008 times
Reputation: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
does it Really Matter the 2 of them are full of lowlifes who cares witch is worse.
still never step foot in their unless you have a death wish.
Yeah you sound MUCH better - you can't even spell which correctly.
 
Old 11-10-2011, 06:00 PM
 
200 posts, read 383,889 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Yeah you sound MUCH better - you can't even spell which correctly.
 
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
 
3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Reputation: 1781
Does Rocky Point High School have Intel Semi-Finalists....or do they just focus on cheerleading.

Cheerleading in Rocky Point must be very prevalent.
 
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
It appears Brentwood is actually not in such bad shape according to the stats on City-Data. Average household income of near $70k (which I realize isn't much for Long Island, but still far from poor) and not a very high poverty or crime rate. What is so bad about the town?....OH WAIT...it's because it is mostly dark people who live there. And down in LI, if a town isn't at least 90% white; it is some place to "steer clear" of...that automatically makes it dangerous and ghetto. Also, I see that the majority of the town's population is hispanic, those must be all of the "illegal aliens" so often referred to on the LI forum. Hmmmm and how exactly do you all know they are illegal? Are you an ICE employee who knows for a fact that NONE of them have their proper documents? OR do you just happen to assume that anyone who speaks Spanish and has caramel colored skin must be "illegal".

I'm shocked so many of you move to NC. You know NC has THE fastest growing hispanic population of any state right? Also, and don't get too scared now; there are many towns and whole counties down there that have a MAJORITY black population!! Sorry to ruin the surprise for you all.

No wonder LI has been rated as the most segregated region of the country.
Brentwood is about 50% white so how is that mostly dark people? As an Hispanic, even I find Brentwood to be somewhat sketchy -- not because there are non whites there, but because it is run down, has men loitering idly on street corners, there is garbage strewn about -- no sense of pride in the general community.

I have white, non-Hispanic friends in the area who can't afford to move elsewhere as they live in homes which were once their parents and can't save enough to move to a safer area. Plenty of petty crimes occur on a regular basis outside of that which we see in the news. Their children and their children's friends (all races and ethnicity) openly post on their Facebook pages how much they want to get out of the area. The schools are underperforming and if one doesn't have the money to send a child to Catholic school or private school, are a parent's only option.

$69K is the median household income -- not the average. That's gross income -- after taxes it's probably closer to $54K. Once one pays out mortgage or rent, electric, gas or oil, phone, food, auto insurance, maintenance puts gas in the car, buys clothes for the kids....

If you're only going by what you read online and without having actually spent any time in the place, how can you pass judgement?
 
Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: now nyc
1,458 posts, read 3,517,612 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Brentwood is about 50% white so how is that mostly dark people? As an Hispanic, even I find Brentwood to be somewhat sketchy -- not because there are non whites there, but because it is run down, has men loitering idly on street corners, there is garbage strewn about -- no sense of pride in the general community.

I have white, non-Hispanic friends in the area who can't afford to move elsewhere as they live in homes which were once their parents and can't save enough to move to a safer area. Plenty of petty crimes occur on a regular basis outside of that which we see in the news. Their children and their children's friends (all races and ethnicity) openly post on their Facebook pages how much they want to get out of the area. The schools are underperforming and if one doesn't have the money to send a child to Catholic school or private school, are a parent's only option.

$69K is the median household income -- not the average. That's gross income -- after taxes it's probably closer to $54K. Once one pays out mortgage or rent, electric, gas or oil, phone, food, auto insurance, maintenance puts gas in the car, buys clothes for the kids....

If you're only going by what you read online and without having actually spent any time in the place, how can you pass judgement?
You make a very great point but one thing really caught my attention. You said Brentwood was 50% White but Brentwood is less than 20% White;
http://www.city-data.com/city/Brentwood-New-York.html
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

The White population is probably even far smaller than 20% since there are a lot of undocumented people who aren't accounted for in the Census.
 
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
6,810 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Reputation: 6012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats the spirit.

And you wonder why Shirley cant get out of its own way.
I knew sooner or later I would catch you forgetting to sign off as Crooks!
 
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
You make a very great point but one thing really caught my attention. You said Brentwood was 50% White but Brentwood is less than 20% White;
http://www.city-data.com/city/Brentwood-New-York.html
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

The White population is probably even far smaller than 20% since there are a lot of undocumented people who aren't accounted for in the Census.
Brentwood CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Brentwood, from the above 2010 census link:
White persons 48.4%

We Hispanics can be white.
 
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
6,810 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Reputation: 6012
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
If you want to factor in household sizes, Brentwood still comes out on top, though by a smaller margin.

Wyandanch:
Per capita income: $17,147
Poverty rate: 18.5%

Brentwood:
Per capita income: $19,730
Poverty rate: 8.0%

* All figures obtained from the respective city-data pages.

So Brentwood is clearly the wealthier of the two, even with a larger average household size.
Brentwood covers a huge area so I cannot speak about the entire community. But I did work in northern Brentwood for a few months and I was pleasantly suprised that it was a better area than I expected. Many of the homes seemed to be belong to hard working middle class people and there are many decent blocks, especially near the Brentwood Country Club.

I am not saying Brentwood is like the Brookvilles, Old Westbury or Muttontown, but its not a complete third world poverty stricken dump like you hear from many Long Islanders.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
You make a very great point but one thing really caught my attention. You said Brentwood was 50% White but Brentwood is less than 20% White;
http://www.city-data.com/city/Brentwood-New-York.html
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

The White population is probably even far smaller than 20% since there are a lot of undocumented people who aren't accounted for in the Census.
Not that it really changes your point, but those stats aren't up to date. This is the official 2010 Census map: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com The other ones are just estimates (and I think city-data's stats go back to 2000, at least the race/ethnicity ones)

Here's another one that breaks it down by place rather than by tract. According to this, Brentwood is 68.5% Hispanic, not 61.0% Hispanic: 2010 Census Interactive Population Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Brentwood covers a huge area so I cannot speak about the entire community. But I did work in northern Brentwood for a few months and I was pleasantly suprised that it was a better area than I expected. Many of the homes seemed to be belong to hard working middle class people and there are many decent blocks, especially near the Brentwood Country Club.

I am not saying Brentwood is like the Brookvilles, Old Westbury or Muttontown, but its not a complete third world poverty stricken dump like you hear from many Long Islanders.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Brentwood CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Brentwood, from the above 2010 census link:
White persons 48.4%

We Hispanics can be white.
But there's a difference between Hispanic Whites and non-Hispanic Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top