U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Brentwood vs. Wyandanch, which is worse?
Brentwood 5 22.73%
Wyandanch 8 36.36%
It's a tie 8 36.36%
Other - post answer below 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,564,078 times
Reputation: 4225

Advertisements

Point is....based on what's been said here and on countless other thread on this forum, it seems Long Islanders focus way more on the racial composition of a town as a guide for whether it's "good" or "bad" than almost any other factor.

 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 PM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Point is....based on what's been said here and on countless other thread on this forum, it seems Long Islanders focus way more on the racial composition of a town as a guide for whether it's "good" or "bad" than almost any other factor.
anyone know where I can get a good deal on bleach? I got a stain on my white sheet at the last meeting...
 
Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Point is....based on what's been said here and on countless other thread on this forum, it seems Long Islanders focus way more on the racial composition of a town as a guide for whether it's "good" or "bad" than almost any other factor.
School District???

And how do they measure in North Carolina, by "white-trash" composition?
 
Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Reputation: 7177
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Point is....based on what's been said here and on countless other thread on this forum, it seems Long Islanders focus way more on the racial composition of a town as a guide for whether it's "good" or "bad" than almost any other factor.
So what you're implying based on a microcosm of people who post on here (and as evidenced by your presence, not all are even from LI) is that the almost 3,000,000 people who live on LI judge areas based upon racial composition.

 
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
 
Location: now nyc
1,458 posts, read 3,518,429 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Point is....based on what's been said here and on countless other thread on this forum, it seems Long Islanders focus way more on the racial composition of a town as a guide for whether it's "good" or "bad" than almost any other factor.
Sometimes that is the case, i've seen some pretty stable/well-off minority areas on the island referred to as "bad areas" so race is definitely a factor but I still wouldn't say it's the biggest factor for most people.

To be fair, a lot of areas that are considered bad by most Long Islanders do have a lot of issues with crime, failing schools and higher poverty rates: but definitely not all.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Massapequa Park
3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
It appears Brentwood is actually not in such bad shape according to the stats on City-Data. Average household income of near $70k (which I realize isn't much for Long Island, but still far from poor) and not a very high poverty or crime rate. What is so bad about the town?....OH WAIT...it's because it is mostly dark people who live there. And down in LI, if a town isn't at least 90% white; it is some place to "steer clear" of...that automatically makes it dangerous and ghetto. Also, I see that the majority of the town's population is hispanic, those must be all of the "illegal aliens" so often referred to on the LI forum. Hmmmm and how exactly do you all know they are illegal? Are you an ICE employee who knows for a fact that NONE of them have their proper documents? OR do you just happen to assume that anyone who speaks Spanish and has caramel colored skin must be "illegal".

I'm shocked so many of you move to NC. You know NC has THE fastest growing hispanic population of any state right? Also, and don't get too scared now; there are many towns and whole counties down there that have a MAJORITY black population!! Sorry to ruin the surprise for you all.

No wonder LI has been rated as the most segregated region of the country.
Brentwood is not as bad as Wyandanch. That doesn't mean it's not a bad area to live in on Long Island. The only areas I can think of that match the 'Danch are North Bellport, Roosevelt & maybe New Cassel. Just FYI, many people in Wyandanch proudly refer to their town as "CrimeDanch". But let's ignore that because crime is completely irrelevant when looking for a place to live and raise a family .

I posted in my previous post .. that most people actually focus on School District. And 9 out of 10 times, the poorer, minority dominated areas have bad school districts. That's an indisputable fact. However a lot of people do look at racial composition, too, as a factor. What's wrong with that?
Let me ask you a question- Do you think Hispanics, Blacks and other minority groups look closely at the racial composition in a town when they move there? Or is it just white people that do this? The reality is most people do this. It's called human nature. Minorities [and illegals] weigh the racial factor in just as much (or more) than white people.

On the illegal issue- If you look a town that is majority Hispanic with an extremely high ESL rate, lots of day laborers and what looks like a third-world country, do you really need any more evidence that there's a high presence of illegals in the area??
Most illegals are Hispanic/Latino
NY has over half a million illegals
Long Island has one of the highest illegal populations in the country

SO you're saying it would be totally illogical to put two+two together and assume that a large illegal presence is in such a town? Common sense is not on your side on this one. Maybe you should stick to what you know and the NC boards? Just a thought.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
does it Really Matter the 2 of them are full of lowlifes who cares witch is worse.
still never step foot in their unless you have a death wish.
While being a biggot, please try to use spell check...it lends credibility.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
well when you See 4 blacks Robbing a Deli ask us why we are like that
and why we look at the other race with eyes in the back of are heads.

Their are some good black citizens but unfortunally i think as of now
they have to pay the price for their Brothers and sisters.


and because this city data somwhere they will fine me 5 points
but its the truth.
Didn't a white guy just get 5 life sentences for robbing a drug store and killing everyone?!?
Spare us the ignorance and spend some time working on your English skills.
Your[sic] an embarrassment.
 
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Selden New York
1,105 posts, read 1,628,928 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Didn't a white guy just get 5 life sentences for robbing a drug store and killing everyone?!?
Spare us the ignorance and spend some time working on your English skills.
Your[sic] an embarrassment.
Nah Plus it bothers you more then me lol so i kinda enjoy it
 
Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
 
200 posts, read 383,967 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Brentwood is not as bad as Wyandanch. That doesn't mean it's not a bad area to live in on Long Island. The only areas I can think of that match the 'Danch are North Bellport, Roosevelt & maybe New Cassel. Just FYI, many people in Wyandanch proudly refer to their town as "CrimeDanch". But let's ignore that because crime is completely irrelevant when looking for a place to live and raise a family .

I posted in my previous post .. that most people actually focus on School District. And 9 out of 10 times, the poorer, minority dominated areas have bad school districts. That's an indisputable fact. However a lot of people do look at racial composition, too, as a factor. What's wrong with that?
Let me ask you a question- Do you think Hispanics, Blacks and other minority groups look closely at the racial composition in a town when they move there? Or is it just white people that do this? The reality is most people do this. It's called human nature. Minorities [and illegals] weigh the racial factor in just as much (or more) than white people.

On the illegal issue- If you look a town that is majority Hispanic with an extremely high ESL rate, lots of day laborers and what looks like a third-world country, do you really need any more evidence that there's a high presence of illegals in the area??
Most illegals are Hispanic/Latino
NY has over half a million illegals
Long Island has one of the highest illegal populations in the country

SO you're saying it would be totally illogical to put two+two together and assume that a large illegal presence is in such a town? Common sense is not on your side on this one. Maybe you should stick to what you know and the NC boards? Just a thought.
CrimeDanch? Never heard of that till now.

And regarding illegal population here, would you say that most of the latino landscapers are illegal? (except the driver I guess since he has to have a valid drivers license).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top