U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 2,216,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
PJS is ok. Most of the fugly is in PJV but sadly within Comsewogue.

Crooks
What does the word "fugly" mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 AM

16,942 posts, read 19,705,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
What does the word "fugly" mean?
I sent you a DM on the meaning because you cannot say what it means on here.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 AM

886 posts, read 2,157,781 times
Snookie is "fugly".

Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,874,981 times
Bay Shore...but only in a nice section. I dont think I would be able to buy a home in the north part or by the High School.

1) Great downtown 2) Ferries to FI. 3) Location to beaches 4) Location to Babylon 5) Access to major highways.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 20,242 times
Bay Shore has come a long way and I believe it will only get better. They have taken a lot of the criminals off the street and have completed revitalization. Bay Shore is getting better in my opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/re...layground.html

A low-income housing project is now coming to Terryville or just east of it on 112. It seems Brookhaven wants it! They are calling it workforce housing but who knows.

Developer Defends Jefferson Meadows Against Concerns - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

What Do You Think About Jefferson Meadows? - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

Crime Report: Man Arrested for Z-Pita Theft - Port Jefferson, NY Patch

Old 11-18-2011, 04:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,303,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSucks View Post
A low-income housing project is now coming to Terryville or just east of it on 112. It seems Brookhaven wants it! They are calling it workforce housing but who knows.
The developer wasn't too specific, though. They didn't mention what the actual requirements were to live in that development (e.g. An annual income of $30,000-$40,000 or something like that). At least it would give people in the surrounding area an idea of what their new neighbors would be (would they be required to have a job to live there or would they just be hanging around)

Personally, I think the area around all of the LIRR stations should be built up to take advantage of the relatively good transit service there. But this is a couple of miles south of the LIRR, so I don't know if it's a good idea.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:45 PM

I just read the following article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/re...land.html?_r=1

It doesn't seem as if the development would have too much of a negative impact on the community.

It says that they would be marketed towards families earning around 80% of the area's median income, which is around $67,900 for a family of two in Suffolk (I think that might be a mistake. The median income is around $84,000 and I assume most of them have two income-earners and not more.) Rents would be around $1,500 per month, so overall this looks like it's geared towards young people who want to be independent, but also want to live out in the suburbs. It doesn't seem that they would be an undesirable type to have around.

Hopefully, they build some more walkable retail in the immediate vicinity of the development. A half-mile seems a bit much to have to walk to reach retail.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:12 PM

12 posts, read 20,242 times
Just read this on northshoreoflongisland.com. It seems there putting in mixed-income apartments with mostly low income tenants next to the Highlands condos.
"Highlands Blvd 6 acres
December 05, 2011 | 05:19 PM

there is a proposal to swap the village owned 6 acres on the corner of Oakland and Highlands Blvd (currently natural grassland and forest) with a piece of privately owned property down town. A builder wants to build 96 rental apartment units on the 6 acres. Yup, thats 16 units/acre! The apartments will be 'mixed income' units....meaning several overpriced units that no one can afford, and many low priced units. Upper Port does not need a NEW development, it needs RE-development! Let's fix the crap that exists now, let's NOT cut down one of our last remaining pieces of greenspace. We do NOT have to build on every inch of land. Apartments do not improve quality of life....open space does. Leave the 6 acres alone. The only person that benefits from development of the property is the developer. The swap is for a much smaller piece of land downtown. Hardly worth it, no matter what the intended use of that land will be......

signed, Highlands OWNER"

Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 AM

You have to consider that the area is only a couple of blocks from the LIRR, and so it makes sense that the developer would want to build that densely (16 units per acre sounds like small townhouses). Not to mention that it's about a mile from Port Jefferson's downtown.

I mean, I'd be opposed to taking away the green space if it were further away, but not when it's 2 blocks from the train. That's what many areas of NJ and Westchester are doing: Building up the neighborhoods around the train stations.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,919,942 times
I just deleted a response after having googled the Village's meeting agenda and learning the correct address. This plan, which I think is too dense for 6 acres, falls in line with the revitalization plans. There should be more clarity as to what is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island