U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM

12 posts, read 20,217 times

Advertisements

Which town do you think has better qualities?

Port jeff:
Some things going on in the area:
Moderator cut: copyright violation
Loaded with gangs in the train station area (numbered streets) and the South Shore Mall)
Lots of violence especially in the north but they have fixed up the area.
Cops: Gang members arrested in Bay Shore stabbing

Last edited by Keeper; 12-08-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 AM

886 posts, read 2,155,073 times
I grew up in Bay Shore and have lived in pearly white East Islip since 1987. If given a choice to do it all over again I would pick Bay Shore. People are friendlier and for the most part look out for each other.East Islip has a majority of ignorant adults who are concerned only with their boat,Escalade,IPhone or whether their house has the most recent upgrade on the block.
As far as gangs in Bay Shore.....more fiction than fact.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,518,429 times
Since other hamlet's such as "North Bay Shore", "West Bay Shore" and "Baywood" have a Bay Shore address, it creates the illusion of Bay Shore having more crime than it actually does since what ever goes down in those places will be considered Bay Shore by the media. About a week ago, there was a young man shot and killed in Baywood but the media only referred to the area as being Bay Shore since it had a Bay Shore address. So this would lead to somebody unfamiliar with the area to believe Bay Shore is worse than it is.

I don't have any experience with Port Jeff so I can't speak on it but I think Bay Shore is an okay working class Blue-Collar diverse town with alright schools; it's also very convenient since everything's nearby (LIRR, bay/ocean, lots of shopping, etc). North Bay Shore is more similar to Brentwood and Central Islip, which have their problems. West Bay Shore has more in common with West Islip.

(btw: If you move here then don't even think about taking the Sagtikos Pkwy anytime around Rush Hour: it's a disaster!)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 11-10-2011 at 05:36 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,177,768 times
I went to comsewogue my entire childhood. The area was ok back then, it had it's good points and bad points like most towns. I'm surprised to see how rough it has become in recent years. The traffic congestion and nonstop development of rt112 and Rt 347 is nuts. Total disregard for aesthetics and reasonable traffic flow. I'm assuming we're really talking about PJS.

My adult son is renting an apartment in north bay shore off Brentwood road, it is close to his job and very affordable. he's not the most motivated individual so he doesn't have that many choices.
I have been pulled over by undercover police on two separate occasions when visiting within the residential area my son lives in. Both times two plain clothes policemen stormed both sides of my car like an episode of cops to question me extensively about what I was doing in that neighborhood. Each time they told me the had a report of road rage in the area with a car like mine, neither time did they run my information or anything else. I guess they are just checking out cars/people that don't look like they belong there. I'm assuming it's because of drug activity. So I guess that is actually a good thing, it's clearly an area with a problem. However it seems that law enforcement is aware and working on it.

Neither town is for me, but if I had To chose, I'd probably pick the old estate section of bay shore.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 AM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Port Jeff (unless its Brightwaters)

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Since other hamlet's such as "North Bay Shore", "West Bay Shore" and "Baywood" have a Bay Shore address, it creates the illusion of Bay Shore having more crime than it actually does since what ever goes down in those places will be considered Bay Shore by the media. About a week ago, there was a young man shot and killed in Baywood but the media only referred to the area as being Bay Shore since it had a Bay Shore address. So this would lead to somebody unfamiliar with the area to believe Bay Shore is worse than it is.

I don't have any experience with Port Jeff so I can't speak on it but I think Bay Shore is an okay working class Blue-Collar diverse town with alright schools; it's also very convenient since everything's nearby (LIRR, bay/ocean, lots of shopping, etc). North Bay Shore is more similar to Brentwood and Central Islip, which have their problems. West Bay Shore has more in common with West Islip.

(btw: If you move here then don't even think about taking the Sagtikos Pkwy anytime around Rush Hour: it's a disaster!)
I worked in Bay Shore near Amritraj. The Baywood area I never considered part of Bay Shore -- I always thought that was Deer Park. All I knew of West Bay Shore was the Admiralty -- I never knew the rest of it wasn't nice, but then I was not driving around there.

I haven't been through Bay Shore in 20 years so I can't make a decision between PJ and BS.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I worked in Bay Shore near Amritraj. The Baywood area I never considered part of Bay Shore -- I always thought that was Deer Park. All I knew of West Bay Shore was the Admiralty -- I never knew the rest of it wasn't nice, but then I was not driving around there.

I haven't been through Bay Shore in 20 years so I can't make a decision between PJ and BS.
Baywood is it's own hamlet but it just has a Bay Shore address (btw: it's served by Brentwood schools).

I never even knew it was called Baywood until recent years..!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Baywood is it's own hamlet but it just has a Bay Shore address (btw: it's served by Brentwood schools).

I never even knew it was called Baywood until recent years..!
This was the first I ever heard of Baywood.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM

BAYWOOD, NY:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ood-ny-map.gif

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

most of West Bay Shore is in fact very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island