U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times

Advertisements

budget? rent? own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM

332 posts, read 709,713 times
Renting....so I can pretty much live anywhere, my options are open.....budget is 1100 a month.

I guess staying in the middle or north shore would be better since it would be a more direct route on the Northern State or LIE if I choose to go that dreadful route.

Living on the south shore in areas like the Babylons, Bay shore, Lindenhurst or even Farmingdale I would probably have to take the Southern State to either the Wantagh or Meadowbrook and then get on the Northern state anyway.....its alot of road switching and different routes....

Would you guys consider central suffolk? Like Hauppauge, Islip, Commack or Smithtown?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM

9,037 posts, read 18,351,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Renting....so I can pretty much live anywhere, my options are open.....budget is 1100 a month.

I guess staying in the middle or north shore would be better since it would be a more direct route on the Northern State or LIE if I choose to go that dreadful route.

Living on the south shore in areas like the Babylons, Bay shore, Lindenhurst or even Farmingdale I would probably have to take the Southern State to either the Wantagh or Meadowbrook and then get on the Northern state anyway.....its alot of road switching and different routes....

Would you guys consider central suffolk? Like Hauppauge, Islip, Commack or Smithtown?

Is that $1,100/mo plus utilities? Or just electric?
BTW, your budget will automatically eliminate some areas, but will leave enough for you to find something.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

are you completely ruling out Nassau? And are you dead set on moving...because once you start looking as far as Hauppauge, Islip, Commack, etc. you might just be better off staying where you are for the time being.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Well right now I am in Holbrook exit 61 on the LIE, but I am afraid that If I do take the job, the commute to NHP everyday in rush hour traffic will be just too much....

I am not totally ruling Nassau out, however I grew up in Suffolk my whole life, therefore I am more familiar with it, and I have friends and family out in Suffolk....I really do not know anyone in Nassau, or know much about it....except what I hear on these boards =) ....in my little experience it is more congested and crowded, and the people are a little more arrogant and snotty...

Old 11-11-2011, 12:25 PM

What my original question was though was how far would YOU be willing to live if you worked in NHP??.....a half hour commute, 45 min, would you be willing to do an hour each way? ....because the difference bt a half hour and 1 hour opens up a lot more options east....

Old 11-11-2011, 12:46 PM

191 posts, read 251,274 times
i vote no further east than the sagtikos/sunken pkwy.
and take the northern state. i go from kings park to plainview...usually no traffic at all.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
What my original question was though was how far would YOU be willing to live if you worked in NHP??.....a half hour commute, 45 min, would you be willing to do an hour each way? ....because the difference bt a half hour and 1 hour opens up a lot more options east....
People have different tolerances for this sort of thing. I would try it out for 1-2 months and then make your decision.

30 minutes in the car is reasonable. Once you start getting closer to an hour it can be pretty miserable....not to mention stressful.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 AM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Islip is as far as I would live and Currently live. I worked in Hempstead for 8 years and when we were looking for a house I told my husband Islip was as far as I would be willing to go. He works in Bayshore so for him it was no big deal. It used to take me 40-45 min with heavy traffic on SS Pkway but If I took the ocean parkway to SS then it only took me 35 min. It was no big deal.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
No more than 30 minutes because throw in a thunderstorm in the summer or a snowstorm in the winter and you're up to an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or