U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 AM

332 posts, read 709,914 times

Advertisements

I am currently considering taking a job that is on the Nassau/Queens border in the New Hyde Park/Lake Success area, off of Jericho Turnpike (Hillside Ave.

I wanted to get people's opinions of how far east you would consider living if you have to make that commute 5, possibly 6 days a week.

I would be going with traffic in the AM, right at rush hour, around 7-8 am, so I know both the LIE and Northern State can get really backed up in certain areas, and I would NOT be carpooling, so the HOV lane is not really an option for me, and I do not have one of those clean pass cars.

I like Suffolk better than Nassau (more familiarity, less congested, less crowded, etc....) so what would be your threshold of areas east?

Unless you think the commute would be so bad that living in Nassau would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,188,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
I am currently considering taking a job that is on the Nassau/Queens border in the New Hyde Park/Lake Success area, off of Jericho Turnpike (Hillside Ave.

I wanted to get people's opinions of how far east you would consider living if you have to make that commute 5, possibly 6 days a week.

I would be going with traffic in the AM, right at rush hour, around 7-8 am, so I know both the LIE and Northern State can get really backed up in certain areas, and I would NOT be carpooling, so the HOV lane is not really an option for me, and I do not have one of those clean pass cars.

I like Suffolk better than Nassau (more familiarity, less congested, less crowded, etc....) so what would be your threshold of areas east?

Unless you think the commute would be so bad that living in Nassau would be better?

If your working in NHP area... I would say the Babylons, Lindenhurst, Farmingdale would be the furthest east you would want to come...So Western Suffolk, wouldnt go too far east of 110...add west Islip too.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 AM

15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
I've commuted to that area from Huntington and it's not terrible. Full disclosure this is going back about 20 years, so obviously there may be more traffic issues now (but there's also HOV).

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM

HOV is not an option if I take LIE bc I do not have another person carpooling with me, and I do not have a clean pass car.

The Babylons and Lindenhurst are pretty south, would I be better living on the North shore?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,188,678 times
Quote:
HOV is not an option if I take LIE bc I do not have another person carpooling with me, and I do not have a clean pass car.

The Babylons and Lindenhurst are pretty south, would I be better living on the North shore?

I wouldn't prefer the N shore, I would go with somewhere in the middle then.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 AM

15,726 posts, read 23,957,202 times
Quote:

?
My point was that it may alleviate some of the other traffic...but who knows.
I'd stay north or middle for that area. I know the exact area you're talking about - much closer to the Northern State than the Southern. Just MHO. Pick a town you want to live in.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 AM

191 posts, read 251,322 times
commuting there from the port jeff station area will be torture. Don't do it. You will probably develop a back problem from sitting in your car.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM

Yes I used to live in Port Jeff Station and I really liked it before it started going somewhat downhill, but I can't imagine commuting from PJS to New Hyde Park everyday....esp during rush hour...that would be torture....

Probably a good 1.5 hours each way...and forget it in the snow or bad rain....

My relative who works nights lives in Miller Place and commutes to Lynbrook everyday....but they work nights off hours....so there is no traffic when they are going in...hows that for a commute though?....lol
They take 83 to the LIE to the Sag to the SSP all the way out to around Exit 20 on the SSP....

So you guys think staying in the middle would be better than living on the North or South shore towns?? ....

Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,537,293 times
Can you take the train?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:06 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Quote:
Yes I used to live in Port Jeff Station and I really liked it before it started going somewhat downhill, but I can't imagine commuting from PJS to New Hyde Park everyday....esp during rush hour...that would be torture....

Probably a good 1.5 hours each way...and forget it in the snow or bad rain....

My relative who works nights lives in Miller Place and commutes to Lynbrook everyday....but they work nights off hours....so there is no traffic when they are going in...hows that for a commute though?....lol
They take 83 to the LIE to the Sag to the SSP all the way out to around Exit 20 on the SSP....

So you guys think staying in the middle would be better than living on the North or South shore towns?? ....
I think North vs South should go to which you like better. It's not much faster from say Huntington vs Lindenhurst (30 vs 36 minutes on google maps) to Lake Success. North to South (and South to North) movement is usually not the problem to NW Nassau; East to West is. You can always cut up/down Rt. 135 or the Wantagh pkwy from the SSPkwy.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-10-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or