U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,628,597 times

Advertisements

We are having 60 degree days still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,477,427 times
Tires: Winter is coming…what are you waiting for?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM

46 posts, read 124,926 times
I usually run ultra high performance summer only tires in the spring, summer and fall and switch to the factory all seasons for the winter.

But it also depends on the car. If you have a RWD car and not a good winter driver, then get snow tires. If you have FWD, then all seasons will do fine. If you have AWD or 4WD, you should already be running some sort of all season M+S rated tires.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM

69 posts, read 152,217 times
I have a smaller heavy car, with front wheel drive. I'll see how this winter goes with the Pirelli all seasons that are new (car was purchased in August). I'll park facing out in my driveway so getting through the skirt/apron thing will be easier too. Thanks for all feedback :-)

Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 AM

64,532 posts, read 66,075,955 times
i use winter tires on every vehicle i owned. awd,4x4 it doesnt matter. its all about the tires.

winter tires today are not just for snow. the standard "no season " tires get harder and harder as it gets colder and colder . performance sucks below about 40 degrees .!

winter tires are the opposite,they get softer and grip the road far far better no matter what the surface.

the difference between an all season and a winter tire is dramatic. stopping can be as much as 2 car lengths different even on ice.

the funny thing is you can have the use of them almost for free. they let your regular tires last that much longer. only expense was some cheap wheels and tpms as i wanted them already mounted and ready.

once i got a taste of the difference between the no seasons and real winter tires i would never ever think of not having them.

no season tires arent that great in the hot summer either. its so much better and safer having dedicated winter and summer tires instead of a no season tire that does little right.

check out some of the comparison videos on tirerack.com.

if you figure it as one deductable you may not have to pay then the tires are free.

they are even more important on a front wheel drive as unlike rear wheel drive which are easy to get back under control if it skids front wheel drive is not.

front wheel drive is good ,that is until its not and then its impossible to regain control unless you are well schooled using the brake and gas together at the same time,.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/snwvlly/fwd.html

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-02-2011 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 AM

69 posts, read 152,217 times
The main reason I hesitate is not knowing how to transport the all seasons back home, where do I put them, they're pretty heavy, etc. I guess I would need to enlist someone for this job and it feels rather awkward. They might wonder why I got a car with intentions on switching tires, if I'm unable to lift and load them into storage on my own... so I hope I do well with the all seasons... keeping good distances behind other drivers as I've done in the past. This is my first car with 18" low profile tires, which is the reason for my winter question... you guys are awesome with your feedback by the way, thank you!

Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,523,718 times
I have never put snow tires on and I doubt I ever will. Even driving up to VT to go snowboarding many times a season. 4WD seems to work fine for me.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:23 PM

64,532 posts, read 66,075,955 times
nothing in life is a problem, until its a problem........ the idea of winter tires is to avoid it becoming a problem.

my house hasnt burned down in 60 years either but i have fire insurance.

i always used awd or 4x4's with all seasons. until one day i was backing up my long snowy driveway,didnt see where the road was crossing and over shot right into the rain ditch on the other side.

i was stuck in there for a day before help came and got me out.

got a set of blizzaks and in even deeper snow tried doing the same thing, this time with my buddy there.

the winter tires let me drive out like it was pavement.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 PM

745 posts, read 1,200,053 times
Default hmm

The main problem in the snow is really not you but other drivers. IF you go slow and have decent all seasons you will be fine.

The problem is trucks and big suvs thinking their invincable skidding down the LIE and smashing into you. Snow tires will not stop that from happening.

Keep in mind that having snow tires on long island can get expensive. Snow tires when driven on regular dry pavement will wear away the tread quicker. So if it snows like twice here you might get one season out of them.

I save my sick and vacation days for the winter. Its not worth it to have winter tires on the one or two days i will have to go out onto non plowed roads.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Where is a good place to actually buy tires? I wouldn't get them at a dealership so where do most people get a new set?...Sears, Mavis,...???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island