U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 PM

69 posts, read 152,258 times

Advertisements

I live in North Shore Suffolk. Have 18" all season tires on my car. Would anyone think I SHOULD get a set of winter tires? I don't drive regularly during heavy snow, in fact I would probably stay in that day. And for those of you with winter tires, do the tire shops hold your regular tires/wheels or do you have to somehow get them home, and how? Sorry if these are silly questions, I just don't have any idea. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 PM
s13

744 posts, read 979,551 times
I had a 240SX years ago with snow tires, it was an RWD car so it was tough to get around in the snow without them. They definitely made a noticeable difference... Kumho KW-11s if I remember right, probably not produced anymore. However, if you car is FWD or AWD and has decent all-seasons with plenty of tread left, you can probably get by without them.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,053,876 times
I have a separate set of winter tires mounted on different rims for my Mazda RX8. I wouldn't even dream of going out in the original tires. however, with the snow tires, I can go where some TRUCKS get stuck. It actually makes you feel a little overconfident because of the control you have with proper grip in snow. Real snow tires totally blow away all season tires.

If last weeks snow was any indication on what's to come, I'd consider it.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
When I first started driving, there were laws that you had to have snow tires & then all of a sudden that changed (maybe in the late seventies?).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Nope use the same tires all year long. Never bought a set of winter tires.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM

69 posts, read 152,258 times
I bought my new car in August, it's a front wheel drive with performance 18" all-season tires (not large tires on an AWD vehicle). So considering the tires have a lower profile, but the car is designed with very many safety features, and I am a conservative driver when roads are iffy, what should I do?

And again, the same question about storage. If I did get snow tires, would I have to figure out how to lug them home, and stick them in my garage or shed? I'm female and don't normally lift tires or objects of similar weight :-)

Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,323,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
When I first started driving, there were laws that you had to have snow tires & then all of a sudden that changed (maybe in the late seventies?).
You,re definitely dating yourself but i also remember the time when you had to switch to snow tires. That was back in the days before radials and front wheel drive cars

Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,169,068 times
I though snow tires went out when I was a kid. I remember when my parents had a Nova, we had the extra set of snow tires.

I use the same tires all the time, Some cars I've had did better than others. My '88 Oldsmobile (RWD) did better in the snow than my '94 Tercel (FWD), but my '05 Chevy (FWD) always fared better than my '95 Ford (RWD). In fact, a few times I've had to use the Chevy to pull out the Ford.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:35 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,921,016 times
During last year's snow season I was really having a problem with what I thought were the tires since sudden stops were causing my brake pedal to kind of, for lack of a better way to put this, fight me. The pedal kind of stiffened and off I would go into a skid. I brought it into my mechanic (who has my absolute trust) and told him that I wanted the brakes checked and I thought I had better get snow tires. His answer was no on both (how'd ya like that - an honest mechanic?!). He told me that the all-seasons on my Toyota Camry were fine. The major problem was ME and in understanding how anti-lock brakes work. Meaning in snow/sleet conditions, if you're coming up at a good speed on a yellow light - go through it. Braking hard in those conditions will engage the anti-lock brakes and you have to keep your foot on the brake - not step on and off as I was doing - and more than likely, the car would go into a skid. And I'll be 100% honest - I tend to drive a little fast and then engage the brakes suddenly if required. Obviously you can't do that in those type of weather conditions. Lesson learned.

And Buck - I guess we weren't as well off as you! I remember my Dad putting chains on the '72 Duster for snow days. No extra set of tires for us!

Old 11-12-2011, 02:40 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
Here in Northern California, people have to change tires and use chains when they are driving up to Tahoe. The Sierra really has snow nine months a year.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island