U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 PM

7,706 posts, read 10,667,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Look at Fairfield apartments. No broker's fee! You can get something in Bay Shore for probably 1300. They'll take the cat. And only one month's deposit.

Plus, their apartments are fairly nice. The credit could be an issue, but you'll have to see.

Straight from their website. BTW, make sure you understand their conditions with regard to the security deposit:

quote:

Fairfield Gardens At Bay Shore offers One Bedroom and Two Bedroom and Two Bedroom with 1.5 bath apartments with private entry. We have updated kitchen cabinetry with updated appliances including dishwasher and microwave.
Our apartments include heat and hot water, cedar closet, wall-to-wall carpeting, some with wood floors and window treatments. For your convenience we have an on-site Laundry facility. Fairfield Gardens is within walking distance to the beach and marina, Bay Shore village, the YMCA and the Long Island Railroad Bay Shore station.
Additional Information
  • Application credit check: $60 non-refundable credit check fee on application ($30 each additional above two).
  • Application fee: $200 to be applied to first months rent, if approved.
  • Security deposit: One month rent with excellent credit and financial history.
  • Lease term: One or two year lease with $35-$45 per month increase for second year.
  • Pet policy: Monthly fee $35 per dog/$400 security deposit. Weight limit 35lbs. $20 per cat/$300 security deposit. Restrictions apply.
  • Utilities: Gas heat and hot water included.
unquote

I believe rents start at $1,330/mo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM

191 posts, read 318,482 times
Bayview apartments in Patchogue, we live here. It is within walking distance to LIRR, we pay 1250 with 2 cats for HUGE 1 bedroom- 900 square feet, We live in this one bedroom with our 2 kids. I had 0 issues with our apartment, it has a dishwasher, balcony and it ALLOWS CATS! You pay a deposit, i think it is 250, and you pay extra 25$ a month. They are owned by home properties, the maintenance team here is great too, i cant complain.

Deposit is only 1 months rent, and no broker fees.

Patchogue Area Apartments for Rent - Bayview Apartments

Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post
Bayview apartments in Patchogue, we live here. It is within walking distance to LIRR, we pay 1250 with 2 cats for HUGE 1 bedroom- 900 square feet, We live in this one bedroom with our 2 kids. I had 0 issues with our apartment, it has a dishwasher, balcony and it ALLOWS CATS! You pay a deposit, i think it is 250, and you pay extra 25$ a month. They are owned by home properties, the maintenance team here is great too, i cant complain.

Sounds like you have an great situation! Good for you and nice of you to share the info

Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM

233 posts, read 341,911 times
Bro I just moved here and although I am not in an apartment yet (still hanging out in the hotel for a few more weeks..) I can help you out with my experience as I am no ******.

Heres what ya do:

Check out newsday, CL, backpage, MLS or anything else...

The trick here is to not consider these your be all end all but eventually you will find something. Talk with a lot of people. Find stuff that you COULD fit into - talk to the people involved.

I have found rooms for as little as 650 - and for 1300 a month you should have no problem.

Make sure you have references, and also ask for references too - you don't want some joe shmo tryin to dip in your kool aid while your gone - and hopefully your animals are well behaved - otherwise id get rid of em.

CL is a good place to look IMO and don't just click on "apartments" and say oops nothing there--- you gotta be checking it out every day and look at everything room shares, housing wanted, etc etc...

people post in different places and often times the "apartments" is a good place for brokers to put their posts...usually if you see posts in all caps its a broker...dont mess with em .. everybody told me i couldnt avoid the brokerage fees but its really quite simple...

man buys house - man cant afford house due to economy etc - man puts ad on CL because he could use some extra $$

i have found many nice places to live and you'll usually get a better deal than an apartment complex or going through a broker BC they are operating a business trying to make $$ vs Someone who needs a roommate...

I say roommate because it gets much less expensive if you are willing to live with somebody else.

AT 1300 for an apt? You will leave in an okay place, nothing special at all...

Give someone who has a 2000 sq foot house and needs help 1300 a month? and you got a much better situation the only drawback is that now you are sharing your living with somebody else...

Month to month is a good idea too because 1) security deposit will be less 2) if the person is creepy you can leave 3) well its just good for all ...

remember to check their references and have some references of yours ready..

as a couple that makes your situation a little more difficult - as a couple with cats - thats even more so - and if you have a lot of furniture you are kind of in a bigger mess

my advice is to not try to maneuver around all of this but if need be, get rid of some of your belongings, find someone to take care of your cat, and if absolutely - get rid of the woman ...

haha that last part is a half joke but if you need any more advice feel free to MSG me.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
s13

587 posts, read 442,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
  • Application credit check: $60 non-refundable credit check fee on application ($30 each additional above two).
Personally, I would never apply at a place like that. "Non-refundable credit check fee" is a scam as far as I'm concerned, if you want to run my credit you can do it on your own dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
CL is a good place to look IMO and don't just click on "apartments" and say oops nothing there--- you gotta be checking it out every day and look at everything room shares, housing wanted, etc etc...
Speed and persistence are very important if you are trying to find a good deal - in this economic climate, reasonably-priced apartments around here tend to get snapped up right away. If you see a listing that interests you, get in touch with the person ASAP because chances are there will be a dozen other people inquiring about the place.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,550,691 times
Brookhaven National Lab publishes a periodical that usually has a number of apartment listings. Here is the link...

The Bulletin - BNL's Weekly Newspaper

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,131,466 times
I feel for your difficulties. I was in a similar situation when I first relocated to LI. Finding a place was tough. Luckily for me I negotiated my company to pay for all of my relocation costs after they offered me the job which covered all fees and moving expenses.

I've never lived in Bayview, but I am in the process of buying a house in Patchogue so I know the area a bit. Malishka seems to be speaking from 1st hand experience which is more important than anything else you will get on this board. River Ave is indeed walking distance to the LIRR (about 90 mins to NY Penn) and there are also bars/restaurants near the station as well.

Where ever you decide to rent, make sure you ask if the unit is legal. I know it sounds dumb, but they are very prevalent on Long Island. I lived in an "illegal" unit and didn't know it when I moved in. How could it be illegal is it's listed by a realtor, right? Wrong. There are tons out there, even listed by brokers so be careful. You do NOT want to get into that situation. You can read all the nightmares if you search this board.

As far as fees go, some can't be avoided. I wouldn't worry about $30 here or $60 there. If you like the apartment and the rent reasonable what's the big deal? They need to make sure you will pay your rent on time, and they're not going to waste their money checking the credit of every Larry, Curly and Moe that comes into the office.

Welcome to LI, we need more people like us in the 20's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31 View Post

Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 PM

233 posts, read 341,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Personally, I would never apply at a place like that. "Non-refundable credit check fee" is a scam as far as I'm concerned, if you want to run my credit you can do it on your own dime.

Speed and persistence are very important if you are trying to find a good deal - in this economic climate, reasonably-priced apartments around here tend to get snapped up right away. If you see a listing that interests you, get in touch with the person ASAP because chances are there will be a dozen other people inquiring about the place.

I agree with this 100% and I am going to further add to not be "overwhelmed" by a good deal.

I found a beautiful house with a reasonable rent -- the guy seemed like such a weirdo though.

Some further tips -->

google the persons name, and email address

the reason for this is you can find out a lot about a person pretty quickly I.E. community involvement activities, possible employment, FORUMS that they belong too, blogs, etc ... and this oftentimes can tell you about the person..

I found one guy and when i googled his email address i found poems he had written that were pretty dark and disturbing --> i opted not to discuss anything further with him...

meanwhile I found other people who were professors in the community with blogs on kindness etc etc...

and also dont tell the person you are going to do this as it may seem weird and it surely is to a certain degree but YO

when it comes to your life and well being research research research!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 627 times
Try speaking to Naso: [url=http://naso-organization.com/]Staten Island Property, houses for sale and rent Staten Island NY - Staten Island Property, Houses and Commercial Property for Sale & Rent[/url]

The Naso Organization have been building affordable housing for low-income families in Staten Island since 1965. Typically 1 and 2-bed houses.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHunt View Post
Try speaking to Naso: Staten Island Property, houses for sale and rent Staten Island NY - Staten Island Property, Houses and Commercial Property for Sale & Rent

The Naso Organization have been building affordable housing for low-income families in Staten Island since 1965. Typically 1 and 2-bed houses.

The OP got a job in Suffolk County - what would they want in Staten Island???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island