U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,844,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
I'm not looking to get ambushed but the way I see it, Long island needs to trim the layers of local government. We don't require multiple school districts/water authority/busing/police/firemen. Whether anyone on this board agrees. We need teachers,policemen,firemen, sanitation workers. We dont need a multitude of adminstrations to do it. I'm not gonna say anything negative about people but how many superintendants etc. do we need. We only need one governing body here on long island, it is the only way to make any noticable change.......
Stop! You're making too much sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
The $20k pension isn't the big problem here. The big issues stressing the system are, in no particular order :

3.longer life expectancy.
Where are those Obamacare Death Panels when you need them?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Where are those Obamacare Death Panels when you need them? :eek:
Wouldn't matter, public service unions are excluded.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,708,891 times
Originally Posted by Spanky25
It just blows my mind how MANY years ago NO ONE wanted these public service job. I had friends tell me "why should I work for that much when I can make almost double on Wall St"

Well, we ALL know what happened to Wall St/Jobs. Now they wish they had these "public service" jobs.

However, I do agree on the pension system. I have a friend who started NYPD at age 18, Age 38 retired on 1/2 pay (20 years on). So, for the next 35-45 years he receives 1/2 pay.
__________________________________________________ ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Three points:

-Years ago the salaries of these jobs were not well above the median income for the area.

-Years ago health care costs were not close to what they are today

-Not everyone works on Wall St.
__________________________________________________ _______
Three points:

-Years ago the salaries of these jobs were not well above the median income for the area: Exactly! People took public service jobs for the benefits. NOT the pay. Now that corp. greed, fraud, coruption, bail-outs, ect... took over, its easier to pick on modest public service workers WHO DO THERE JOB.

-Years ago health care costs were not close to what they are today: See above

-Not everyone works on Wall St.: We all have choices.

I think we need to stick up for the middle class workers (public service or private). Enough with corp. greed, fraud, coruption, insane taxes, healthcare cost, ect.......

Last edited by Spanky25; 11-15-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 AM

3,173 posts, read 5,668,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Come Pequa, you're smarter than that. Something as sensational as a municipal bankruptcy isn't necessary. Everything you mentioned can be achieved through legislation and most of those items are in Cuomo's tier 6 proposal. While it wasn't acted on this past year, you would have to be blind not to see this becoming reality. (not saying you are blind, just in general)
You expect any of this to happen voluntarily? Instead of taking action now, DiNapoli basically borrowed from the pension fund - kicking the can down the road. 5-year smoothing of market losses/underperfomance in the NY pension fund is going to catch up eventually as well. Why aren't they doing any of this now? OT calculated into pensions should be gone already. I think we're only one of 3 states that allows this today.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,030,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You expect any of this to happen voluntarily? Instead of taking action now, DiNapoli basically borrowed from the pension fund - kicking the can down the road. 5-year smoothing of market losses/underperfomance in the NY pension fund is going to catch up eventually as well. Why aren't they doing any of this now? OT calculated into pensions should be gone already. I think we're only one of 3 states that allows this today.
I'm not disagreeing with you but it should, could and needs to be legislated. A bankruptcy isn't necessary.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,708,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
True! Who takes the loss when OUR IRA's/401K's are down? I wish the tax payer covered my losses. Well, not exactly.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM

29,546 posts, read 12,355,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Originally Posted by Spanky25
It just blows my mind how MANY years ago NO ONE wanted these public service job. I had friends tell me "why should I work for that much when I can make almost double on Wall St"

Well, we ALL know what happened to Wall St/Jobs. Now they wish they had these "public service" jobs.

However, I do agree on the pension system. I have a friend who started NYPD at age 18, Age 38 retired on 1/2 pay (20 years on). So, for the next 35-45 years he receives 1/2 pay.
__________________________________________________ ________

__________________________________________________ _______
Three points:

-Years ago the salaries of these jobs were not well above the median income for the area: Exactly! People took public service jobs for the benefits. NOT the pay. Now that corp. greed, fraud, coruption, bail-outs, ect... took over, its easier to pick on modest public service workers WHO DO THERE JOB.

-Years ago health care costs were not close to what they are today: See above

-Not everyone works on Wall St.: We all have choices.

I think we need to stick up for the middle class workers (public service or private). Enough with corp. greed, fraud, coruption, insane taxes, healthcare cost, ect.......

The point is that public service salaries for many careers have rapidly escalated in the last 20 years, along with their associated pensions and health care. People who work on wall street comprise a small percentage of the employed population, why is that always the standard. We have accountants, engineers, plumbers, electricians that are paying these taxes why is a wall street worker and the financial industry abuses always the standard for public service salaries, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Someone who didn't make a choice to be a public service worker has no right to criticize their compensation, who do you think is paying their salary. Public service greed is no different than corporate greed, no sure why your drawing a line and critcizing one while supporting the other.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Public service greed is no different than corporate greed, no sure why your drawing a line and critcizing one while supporting the other.
Bad behavior does not justify other bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or