Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
Can you use a previous year's PBA card or it has to be the current year's?
Send a DM to pdcnret, the king of knowledge of all things pertaining to LI police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
March 2011-burned out headlight, repaired it within 24 hours, ticket was reversed

Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times
My story took place about 15 years ago. I was an armed security guard working the 3pm-11pm shift. My Mom was watching my 1 year old daughter, and I had just picked her up and was headed home. My daughter was buckled into her car seat.

I was on a 4 lane stretch of road doing the posted speed limit. I saw 5 police cars coming towards me in the opposite lanes. As I passed the first police car he hit his lights and started to turn around. The second cop car hit his lights and turned around. A split second later the other three cop cars did the exact same thing.

They all drove up directly behind me. At that moment I was about 75ft from the entrance into my housing addition so I made the turn then pulled over to the side of the street.

Two cops cars pulled in front of me. The other three were behind me. All 5 cops got out of their cars and walked towards my car with their guns drawn. The first two to reach my car from behind pulled their flashlights from the holsters and started shining them into my car.

I rolled down my window and asked if there was something wrong? They saw my uniform, saw my daughter in her car seat, and all of them holstered their guns. I asked what was going on. One of them told me that the convenience store up the road had been held up and that my vehicle matched the description of the vehicle that left the convenience store.

I told the cop that I don't normally wear my uniform, and take my daughter with me, when I knock over convenience stores. He chuckled, apologized, and I was on my way.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:23 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I last got pulled over about 2-1/2 years ago for speeding -- 79 mph in a 55 mph zone. I got a ticket but the officer cut me a break and only wrote me up for 65 mph. It saved me some money and some points.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:24 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
3 years ago on the cross island 75 in a 50 . nice 6 pointer. i drive like an old man now .

Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
As long as someone else revived this 4 year old post, I'll chime in:

Go pulled over about 3 years ago - ON MY BICYCLE!

Officer saw me ride my bike thru the crosswalk on Sunrise highway, and make a left turn (using another crosswalk) a block from Sunrise Highway. And then ride on the sidewalk for about 100 feet. Bear in mind, this was Nassau County, not midtown Manhattan. He pulled in front of me, blocked the road, sirens sounding, lights flashing - HONEST TRUTH!

He asked me for my license, I asked "MY DRIVERS LICENSE - I'M ON A BICYCLE". He actually ran my license and yelled at me for not dismounting the bike in a crosswalk and riding on the sidewalk! When I offered my defense, he told me to shut up and sit on the curb. I refused, he rolled up his window. After he ran the license he said "this one is on me, next time you're getting a ticket".

A little excessive?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:56 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I don't get pulled over. I am THE greatest driver ever in the history of driving.
Drove like a jackass the first year or so I had my license, got like a thousand tickets for various violations. Mostly no seatbelt, loud exhaust and expired inspections. License suspended 3 or 400 times. Eventually paid all tickets and straightened out license.
Lesson learned.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
3 years ago on the cross island 75 in a 50 . nice 6 pointer. i drive like an old man now .
Did you take it to court to try to knock it down? Or take the class to reduce the points?

Old 01-23-2016, 09:46 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
there is no reduction in nyc of any form . unless you are 100% innocent there is only 100% guilty . a 25 year old clean record meant nothing .

unlike the rest of the state nyc does not use a court , a prosecutor or a real judge .

you have a dmv hearing with an administrator with no latitude for any leeway or reduction . nothing gets taken in to account as far as a plea bargain .

the driver course only reduces your dmv points . insurers still see the conviction and can count it if they see it .

folks are confused about the course in this regard . it does not make the conviction vanish . it only gives you some leeway as far as dmv suspending your license .

taking the course may have your insurer wondering why WHEN THE PAPER WORK GETS TO THEM FOR THAT SLIGHT DISCOUNT and while you may have stayed under the radar like i did and they don't pull an abstract on you , now you put yourself on the screen and highlighted your record as they bring you up for the discount . .

keep in mind dmv points come off 18 months after date of OFFENSE . points have nothing to do with your insurance . points are an internal dmv thing .

convictions stay on your record for the insurers to see until the january following 3 years after CONVICTION . that can be almost 4 years .

so i got my ticket in april 2013 ... i was convicted 12/13 so dec 2016 will be 3 years and the conviction comes off jan 2017 .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-23-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
South Carolina while I was on vacation with the family. The road went from 55 to 45 to 35 to 25 in under a mile as I went through a one horse town. We were headed to Myrtle and the sheriff was behind a big sign that said welcome to SC. As soon as I went past him he pulled out and got me. Told me I was going 35 in a 25 and that I could pay him cash on the spot since I was from NY. I paid the ticket over the phone via credit card and that was it. I hate those 25 mph zones in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island