U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,264,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
South Carolina while I was on vacation with the family. The road went from 55 to 45 to 35 to 25 in under a mile as I went through a one horse town. We were headed to Myrtle and the sheriff was behind a big sign that said welcome to SC. As soon as I went past him he pulled out and got me. Told me I was going 35 in a 25 and that I could pay him cash on the spot since I was from NY. I paid the ticket over the phone via credit card and that was it. I hate those 25 mph zones in the south.
As the sign said , Welcome to SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:49 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 105,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
South Carolina while I was on vacation with the family. The road went from 55 to 45 to 35 to 25 in under a mile as I went through a one horse town. We were headed to Myrtle and the sheriff was behind a big sign that said welcome to SC. As soon as I went past him he pulled out and got me. Told me I was going 35 in a 25 and that I could pay him cash on the spot since I was from NY. I paid the ticket over the phone via credit card and that was it. I hate those 25 mph zones in the south.
That sucks! They set up those speed traps up I think for outta towner's. I got hit on Rt 1 that runs thru Delaware on route to the Chesapeake bay bridge. It goes from 55 to 35 in less than a mile. I thought I was going speed limit when I dropped down to 45 but got snagged anyway in the 35 zone.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM

91 posts, read 62,815 times
I got pulled over one time by unmarked NCPD on sunrise highway in merrick for going thru a changing traffic light the officer approach my car and ask me if I was aware that I just went though a red light which I didn't I than explained to him that if he gives me a ticket his mothers not going to do his laundry anymore the "cop" was my 27 year old son still living in my house I got a warning lol

Old 01-26-2016, 03:28 PM

9,584 posts, read 11,167,117 times
On my southern runs it's strictly cruise control the entire way. Set it and forget.
Let those crazy bastards pass me if I'm not going fast enough for them.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM

1,040 posts, read 695,167 times
I got pulled over for running a stop sign at nine pm in a suit. Went right through it no stopping and a cop was right there.

He starts yelling at me there are kids in the neighborhood, to make matters worse I was driving a nice BMW. He goes what is the rush what is so important!!

I was actually driving home from my Uncles Wake at a funeral home. He was a senior agent for the FBI and his son is a Cop.

I actually told him that and said I was very upset as I was close to my Uncle. He still did not buy it. And goes a wake? Did you take one of those little laminated Mass cards, where was this wake. I pull out card from Wake, and gave him info and he apologized and let me go.

My wife was like you lucky SOB.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM

367 posts, read 590,208 times
A couple of months ago for passing a Nassau County squad car, on the Southern State. I was only doing like 63, so I didnt think he would care. He let me go. I broke my 5 year streak of not getting pulled over. When I was younger I'd get stopped like every other month.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,982,258 times
In 2014 I got a ticket for making a right turn on an ILLEGAL no right turn sign at the bottom of Woolsey Street in Huntington Village. Yep. It's illegal alright, and everyone here in the West Neck area knows it, the highway department of the Town of Huntington knows it even though they would never admit it, as well as other people from farther surrounding areas. Which is why people keep turning on it. On the day I got the ticket, the cop stood there watching car after car turning where I had just turned. They didn't get any tickets. To this day cars make right turns there as a matter or course. And going to court and trying to reason with unreasonable court lawyers is completely futile, which I tried. After all, their job is to obtain money for high-tax ripoff New York State.

At the corner of Woolsey Street and West Neck Road in the Huntington Village area there is an illegal no right turn sign that was finagled from the Town of Huntington's Highway Dept. by the good people of Woolsey Street. I originally thought it was bought off of Amazon when I first saw it about 11 or so years ago since it's a regulation-sized sign. The real thing. Anyone can buy a regulation sign and put one or two or three up in a neighborhood effectively keeping cars and people off streets, like the good people of Woolsey Street.

Woolsey Street is at least 150 years old - originally dirt, and then paved back in the 1940's or around then. It's always been a two-way public road, and never a private road. So you can imagine the surprise for everyone living north of Woolsey Street in the West Neck area when the sign appeared saying we couldn't make a right turn up Woolsey St. anymore to drive to 25A.

Why is the sign at Woolsey Street illegal? There is no valid reason for the sign, and legally there has to be a valid reason in order for the highway department to erect one. The road isn't a one-way street, there are no obstructions, there are no schools, no drains, no dividers, it isn't a private road, etc. There is also no written report at the highway department for the sign as to why it exists. Every road sign needs a valid report with a valid reason for a sign to be legal. If the only reason for the sign is heavy traffic, say in the morning because of commuting time, then the sign ought to have no right turn hours posted on it, say from 6 AM to 9 AM, or something of that nature. But it doesn't. It's a flat-out do not make a right turn EVER again sign.

Huntington's highway department stonewalled me. I called twice. They literally would not answer anything about the sign. No report, no paperwork, no answer. Dead air on the phone. Par for the corrupted course at Huntington Town Hall.

The cop who gave me the ticket said that the good people of Woolsey Street called William Spencer (a local politician) that very morning I got the ticket, and pressured Spencer into giving them a cop car to issue tickets for their illegal sign. Even the cop knew the sign was bogus.

The good people of Woolsey Street don't want traffic on their street. That's the only reason for the sign. But no one wants traffic on their street. What if we all put up no right turn signs on streets where people don't want traffic? They'd be all over the place. It would be like driving inside a maze. Which is what it's like at the eastern end of Woolsey street - a maze, since you can only make a left turn up the street coming from the opposite direction.

When I was at traffic court to explain the illegal sign, the court lawyer told me that of course I can drive up Woolsey Street - she said first I have to go through a traffic light intersection, make a left onto Gerard Street, and go around the traffic circle in front of the post office, go back up Gerard Street, and make a right onto West Neck Road, and then Voila! I can make a left up Woolsey Street heading west at last. How's that for lawyerly logic?? The same unreasonable lawyer suggested regarding the stonewalling from the highway department, that perhaps the person on the other end of the phone was deaf. Or maybe didn't understand English. Or maybe was having a seizure. You get the drift. It was impossible to get anywhere with her. And to think I'm paying her salary.

To date, the good people of Woolsey Street have their illegal no right turn sign, a no truck sign, and they now have what's probably an illegal speed bump at the western end of the street at 25A to discourage people from turning onto the top of the street to drive over to West Neck Road (interestingly, I had mentioned to the ticket-issuing cop that they'd probably put in a speed bump in the future). I'm waiting for them to erect another no turn sign: This time at the western end of Woolsey Street and 25A for cars heading east on 25A. It too will be another illegal sign - this time a No Left Turn sign - that will stop drivers from turning onto Woolsey Street heading toward West Neck Road. It will effectively turn Woolsey Street into a semi-private road. Which is probably the goal of the good people of Woolsey Street.

About a year ago, the good people of Central Street, which is across from Woolsey Street on the other side of West Neck Road, put in a speed bump in order to attempt to keep drivers off their street. It was taken out within a month. Looks like Central Street people just don't have the same pull and connections with the corrupt Town Hall of Huntington that the good people of Woolsey Street have.

To make matter worse, one block over from Woolsey Street and West Neck Road there's another no right turn sign for Nathan Hale Drive. Which effectively forces people driving south on West Neck Road through 2 busy traffic light intersections who would like to reach 25A heading west. Both Woolsey Street and Nathan Hale Drive used to take some of the traffic off West Neck Road.

In the later afternoon West Neck Road is a bumper-to-bumper mess because of the funnel effect these two no right turn signs have caused.

Oh, and one more sign will really finish off Woolsey Street for the rest of us taxpayers who should be able to drive on the public road: last but not least, we're all waiting for a Private Road sign.

Last edited by AndreaII; 02-02-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 03:20 PM

1,053 posts, read 719,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
In 2014 I got a ticket for making a right turn on an ILLEGAL no right turn sign at the bottom of Woolsey Street in Huntington Village.
Wow, what a story! Have you considered contacting:

Suffolk County DOT?
New York State DOT?
Your county legislators?
News 12/Newsday?

Obviously the local town is in on it. Perhaps going over their head will get you some traction.

I am imaging the possibilities of installing my own traffic control signs. Sounds like fun if you can get away with it.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:33 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,982,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Wow, what a story! Have you considered contacting:

Suffolk County DOT?
New York State DOT?
Your county legislators?
News 12/Newsday?

Obviously the local town is in on it. Perhaps going over their head will get you some traction.

I am imaging the possibilities of installing my own traffic control signs. Sounds like fun if you can get away with it.
I'm waiting for the No Left Turn sign at the top of Woolsey to appear. It's bound to. When that happens I'm going to contact Emilio Sosa who is the Regional Traffic Engineer for Suffolk County and ask him to go after the signs and the Highway Department.

It's possible I'll need to get a petition going, but that's no big deal. I think 99% of the people who live in this area would like to be able to use the road again with no strings attached.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:56 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,689,798 times
In the late 90s I was driving in Glen Cove and passed a hidden cop car waiting to pull over speeders. It was probably a 35 mph zone and maybe I was doing 40 or 45. The cop doesn't do anything until I'm like two blocks away then he pulls out of his parking spot and pulls me over. His hesitation made me think he's not sure if I was speeding. He asks me how fast I was going so I said 35 or 40 and I really didn't think I was speeding. He let me go. I still don't know what that was all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island