U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,986,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
Forgive me but what are CO's?
Certificate of Occupancy

I had a thought -- the Nassau tax assessor's web site should have info on the house with respect to what the town has on file -- ie the garage or the conversion. Www.mynassauproperty.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 AM

418 posts, read 915,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Certificate of Occupancy

I had a thought -- the Nassau tax assessor's web site should have info on the house with respect to what the town has on file -- ie the garage or the conversion. Www.mynassauproperty.com
Is there analogous site for Suffolk - to look up permits and such (for a particular house of interest)?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM

1,350 posts, read 4,379,447 times
Quote:
Definitely should check directly with the zoning department.

If the above zoning is the case, the prospective homeowner needs to know the current widths of each side yard. For example if they add up to 20', the prospective homeowner can go out a maximum of 5' on the side which is a minimum of 10'.

My parent's old Levitt house appears to have at most 7' on one side and maybe 10' on the other. If the above code applied to their home, the most they could bump out would be 2' on one side.

This is correct, Not sure if the building department will give specific info over the phone, I had to make an appontment with the plan examiner's office and bring a survey, which generally are on file with the building department. they were pretty happy to go through what I wanted to do what I could/couldn't do, what would require a varience etc.

Building isn't particularly cheap and permits need to be in place for existing stuff, but most situations aren't as expensive or dire as what mongoose is describing. just make sure when buying it that all improvements have been legalized or can be easily.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,753,043 times
Quote:
Forgive me but what are CO's?
CO = Certificate of Occupancy

A CO is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Is there analogous site for Suffolk - to look up permits and such (for a particular house of interest)?
Not that I know of for Suffolk County.

The Town of Huntington has the following:
Town of Huntington

Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM

56 posts, read 88,701 times
Default Architect

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a home in Levittown (Island Trees) area and the home is great except the living room is reall small. I'd like to expand out the side of the home in which the living room is located as much as I can but not sure what the regulations are for the area.

Is there a minimum distance you need to maintain between your property and neighbors property?

How would I find out such a thing?

Thanks I'm a complete LI newb.. Moving in from the city.

I sent you a Direct Message.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM

574 posts, read 969,560 times
Quote:
Definitely should check directly with the zoning department.

If the above zoning is the case, the prospective homeowner needs to know the current widths of each side yard. For example if they add up to 20', the prospective homeowner can go out a maximum of 5' on the side which is a minimum of 10'.

My parent's old Levitt house appears to have at most 7' on one side and maybe 10' on the other. If the above code applied to their home, the most they could bump out would be 2' on one side.
OhBeeHave, it actually depends on the use of the extension into the sideyard. If your parents were putting in a garage, they would get an extra 3 feet fwiw (if their total sideyardage was 17 feet). From the same article:

Section 190: Permitted Encroachments

(4) One-story additions to a main dwelling projecting into one of the required side yards, provided that the area of the encroachment shall be used for garage purposes only, and provided further that neither side yard is less than five feet wide, and provided further that the aggregate widths of the two side yards shall be at least 12 feet.

I didn't include that in the initial post because OP only asked about minimum distance and it's still 5 feet; I also read plenty of zoning code provisions at work and try not to let the fun slip into my personal life

Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
OhBeeHave, it actually depends on the use of the extension into the sideyard. If your parents were putting in a garage, they would get an extra 3 feet fwiw (if their total sideyardage was 17 feet). From the same article:

Section 190: Permitted Encroachments

(4) One-story additions to a main dwelling projecting into one of the required side yards, provided that the area of the encroachment shall be used for garage purposes only, and provided further that neither side yard is less than five feet wide, and provided further that the aggregate widths of the two side yards shall be at least 12 feet.

I didn't include that in the initial post because OP only asked about minimum distance and it's still 5 feet; I also read plenty of zoning code provisions at work and try not to let the fun slip into my personal life
C'mon -- Town code is more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

The OP wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a home in Levittown (Island Trees) area and the home is great except the living room is reall small. I'd like to expand out the side of the home in which the living room is located as much as I can...
I interpreted it as extending the living room, which is why I didn't dig any further; the info you originally provided seemed spot on (provided that this house falls within that portion of the code.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or