U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM

39 posts, read 95,103 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home in Levittown (Island Trees) area and the home is great except the living room is reall small. I'd like to expand out the side of the home in which the living room is located as much as I can but not sure what the regulations are for the area.

Is there a minimum distance you need to maintain between your property and neighbors property?

How would I find out such a thing?

Thanks I'm a complete LI newb.. Moving in from the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,057,434 times
Doing this yourself or hiring a contractor? I hate to say it but my recommendation is to talk to contractors. They can look at your survey and see what your setbacks are (i.e buildable property) and give ideas. Pay them to handle the permit issues and plan on adding alot of time to your project. Otherwise, welcome to building department hell. Plan on getting permits in order before you build which will require an updated survey, drawings, application fees, etc. The regulations are based on your house and the lot, not the neighbors house. There are setbacks on your lot that you must stay within. If you want to go outside those you must apply for a variance which costs more all around (additional fees plus radius map drawings plusw a panel of govt hacks who must approve it). Having fun yet? If you have a corner lot, it gets more complicated. I wish you luck. I'm 15 months and more than a few thousand dollars into trying to make my fence, shed, portico and pool legal. They were all there when we bought the house. When we got permits for dormering, they inspected all over and saw the exterior items. Levittown is ground zero of the notoriously corrupt Town of Hempstead building department and they are in serious revenue collection mode so any sign of work will bring the inspector around. Sorry to be negative, but there are many many posts here about building and permits. Most are not too pleasant. Good luck with whatever you do and stay calm.

ToH - BZ - Permits - Alterations and Structures of Minor Character

Old 11-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Well thank you for the heads up. I'm actually hoping to get some information before I even sign the contract to get the house. But It sounds like that will be very difficult and time consuming to even get that info.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:57 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,057,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
Well thank you for the heads up. I'm actually hoping to get some information before I even sign the contract to get the house. But It sounds like that will be very difficult and time consuming to even get that info.
Generally, I believe the front setback is 25ft or is in line with the other house fronts. The rear is based on your lot and I believe is also 25ft from the prop line. I believe the sides can go to within 3ft of the property line but I am not sure. If you have a corner lot, then you cannot build within 25ft of the prop line on that street. Effectively a corner property in Levittown has two fronts, 1 rear and 1 side yard. There are others on here with more info and some are actually contractors themselves. General rule is try to build up and not out (building out results in higher taxes due to increased exterior square footage PLUS appraised value...building UP only adds to appraised value). Rearrange the interior to get that more open space. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:09 PM

574 posts, read 965,028 times
d1,

I looked at the Town of Hempstead Building Zone Ordinance quick, and it seems like the property you're looking at falls into the Levittown Planned Residence District (Article XV). Here's what that section of the code says about sideyards:

"188. Side Yards

(A) In case of a single-family dwelling, there shall be two side yards, one on each side of the main building, the aggregate widths of which shall be at least 15 feet. Neither side yard shall be less than five feet wide."

So it looks like you've got to maintain 5 feet from your neighbor's property, but again, I looked quick; you should check out the zoning code when you get a chance.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM

15,723 posts, read 23,949,403 times
If you want to do work on a house in Levittown, make darn sure every single thing that has been done to that house has a CO. Make your attorney aware that you will require this before signing a contract. If not you will be experiencing what mongoose told you. You'll merely want to add living space but all the crapola your sellers did will come back to bite YOU. And unless the house looks the way it did when Mr, Levitt built it in the 1940s, I can guarantee you there is something on that house that isn't kosher.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM

659 posts, read 2,105,365 times
I live in that area (island trees) and love it! When I bought my home, there was a rear extension of 15 feet along the entire back of the home and a dining room (20 ft extension) behind the garage. The owner had all of the CO's.
We just front dormered and added a bathroom. They are easy to expand, I am not sure the exact amount you can expand, but so many people have done it. Talk to some local contractors and I am sure they would know.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
It's a lot easier than you think.

Call up the Town of Hempstead, ask to speak with someone in zoning. Tell them you are looking at a property at 123 Petunia St, Island Trees and would like to know what the zoning setbacks are for that property -- you need to know Front, Side and rear setbacks.

If this is a corner house, indicate that.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
d1,

I looked at the Town of Hempstead Building Zone Ordinance quick, and it seems like the property you're looking at falls into the Levittown Planned Residence District (Article XV). Here's what that section of the code says about sideyards:

"188. Side Yards

(A) In case of a single-family dwelling, there shall be two side yards, one on each side of the main building, the aggregate widths of which shall be at least 15 feet. Neither side yard shall be less than five feet wide."

So it looks like you've got to maintain 5 feet from your neighbor's property, but again, I looked quick; you should check out the zoning code when you get a chance.
Definitely should check directly with the zoning department.

If the above zoning is the case, the prospective homeowner needs to know the current widths of each side yard. For example if they add up to 20', the prospective homeowner can go out a maximum of 5' on the side which is a minimum of 10'.

My parent's old Levitt house appears to have at most 7' on one side and maybe 10' on the other. If the above code applied to their home, the most they could bump out would be 2' on one side.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 AM

Forgive me but what are CO's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or