U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:14 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times

Advertisements

I have never found any credible evidence that confirms a hospital fire in that area.

And I am someone who is open to this.

I have also heard - from my cousins formerly from Huntington, that the is a policeman who comes up to your car with half of his head blown off.

I don't know what to think.

I don't think it's a nice area in terms of "vibes" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Isn't there a graveyard on Mount Misery Road? I remember being a teen and going to the graveyard at night. I remember being freaked out b/c well, in the dark it was freaky and se jumped the gate. However, I do not recall hearing any ghosts. I just thought it was a "cool" place to hang out and just the thought of being there at night was freaky. I am unsure about the Mary and burning down an asylum though. I do remember somewhere in Melville off of Route 110, there was an orphanage that burnt down. I think it was the early 90's. I remember walking the grounds and burnt down building at night. That's the only thing I remember or know of burning down and having to do with children. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.
When I was a teen and driving we went down Sweet Hollow Road from Old Country Rd. That may be the cemetary you're talking about. It is creepy because of all the tall trees in the area and that street led to the underpass of the Northern State. It's also infrequently traveled so it adds to the creepy factor. In the winter it's a very fun twisty road to drive with snow on the ground. This is the first I'm hearing about Mary though. Bloody Mary keep on burning.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:58 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,288,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have never found any credible evidence that confirms a hospital fire in that area.

And I am someone who is open to this.

I have also heard - from my cousins formerly from Huntington, that the is a policeman who comes up to your car with half of his head blown off.

I don't know what to think.

I don't think it's a nice area in terms of "vibes" though.
I believe the police man who had half of his head blown off came up to my car and wrote me a ticket for a bad tail light.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 PM

326 posts, read 595,985 times
I was driving in the area recently. A ghostly flashing light appeared as I just made it through the intersection on a yellow light. A month later a ticket appeared in the mail. It was like a disembodied police officer had been following me!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM

2,198 posts, read 3,288,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The TV series in question is "My Ghost Story" and it airs on the Biography Channel. Here is the episode information:

My Ghost Story Episode Guide 2011 Season 3 - My Ghost Story, Episode 5 | TVGuide.com

Here is a small clip of the Mt. Misery Rd., Huntington episode:

Episode 23 - Web Exclusive: My Ghost Story Full Episodes and Videos - Biography.com

Here is the paranormal investigators' webpage about Mt. Misery Rd. It also includes some pics/sounds (scroll down) that were featured on the TV show (a pic of a member with a glowing ball of light on his arm, etc.):

Haunted Mount Mt Misery Road ghost spirit investigation by Long Island Paranormal Investigators - Ghost Haunted Demonic Investigation Ghost Hunter New York NY

Here is their Facebook page where they briefly discuss the episode:

Long Island Paranormal Investigators | Facebook

I watched this episode and I think they are seriously stretching the "facts" and not telling the story honestly.

First of all, when I was a kid my family was friends with a family who lived on Mt. Misery Rd. in Huntington, and what was shown on TV (a heavily wooded footpath with no car traffic) did not look right to me. We could drive there and it was not overgrown with trees ... it was open land with horse pastures, etc., on either side of the road. I looked on the paranormal group's webpage and here is their description of Mt. Misery:

So the TV show misrepresents that area by referring to it as Mt. Misery Road.

The other thing I did not like was how the two leaders of this paranormal investigator group claimed on "My Ghost Story" that it is a fact that there was an asylum/mental hospital on a hill overlooking Mt. Misery Road and a girl named Mary (no last name cited) escaped from it and got her revenge by burning down the entire asylum ... in which many people died in the fire, who are now the ghosts haunting Mt. Misery Road along with Mary and this is the source of the haunting.

I looked on their webpage and what they wrote about Mt. Misery does not talk about Mary burning down the hospital. Yet on the TV show one of them actually stated it was a fact. He used the word "fact."

From what I understand, this is more of an old urban legend and has never been proven as something that actually happened. Do any of you know about it? Has anyone found the name of the asylum/hospital that burned down over there? Was there ever one in that area? Has anyone found Mary's last name? Has anyone found news accounts of the arson?

How can any reputable organization go on television and call this urban legend a "fact" if this information has never been confirmed?
Nothing on TV is completely factual, not even the "news". It's all entertainment to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or