Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,237,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Disappointingly, even the History channel or Discovery run with urban legends too often for my taste.
For a "Ghost Story", one would expect an urban legend / folklore, no? It's entertainment, it's not science, but still fun to watch. How would one "prove" facts in these stories?
Look at local land and historical records to see if there was actually ever a hospital or asylum built on the property in question.

If no, then the urban legend is false.

If yes, then find out what happened to the building.

If the building was demolished in any other way than fire, then the urban legend is false.

If the building was demolished by fire, find out how the fire occurred.

If it was an accidental fire, then the urban legend is false.

If it was purposely set, find out who set it.

If the name of the fire starter is anything besides "Mary" then the urban legend is false.

If the name is "Mary" then find out if she was a patient at the asylum who escaped.

If not, the urban legend is false.

If yes, the urban legend is true.

As for proving a "haunting" ... that is something else ... certainly up to individual standards and beliefs.

I was only commenting on the purported historical "facts" asserted in the case (asylum existed and was burned down by an escaped patient named Mary) by LI Paranormal Investigators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,134,596 times
Isn't Mt Misery Mt Sinai?

Chandler estate?

Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Isn't Mt Misery Mt Sinai?

Chandler estate?
Yet another "Mary" legend!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM

418 posts, read 1,068,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Look at local land and historical records to see if there was actually ever a hospital or asylum built on the property in question.

If no, then the urban legend is false.

If yes, then find out what happened to the building.

If the building was demolished in any other way than fire, then the urban legend is false.

If the building was demolished by fire, find out how the fire occurred.

If it was an accidental fire, then the urban legend is false.

If it was purposely set, find out who set it.

If the name of the fire starter is anything besides "Mary" then the urban legend is false.

If the name is "Mary" then find out if she was a patient at the asylum who escaped.

If not, the urban legend is false.

If yes, the urban legend is true.

As for proving a "haunting" ... that is something else ... certainly up to individual standards and beliefs.

I was only commenting on the purported historical "facts" asserted in the case (asylum existed and was burned down by an escaped patient named Mary) by LI Paranormal Investigators.
Ok, I understand now what you meant. It does require years of work and dedication.
Years ago I was following a newsgroup on urban legends and there were rigorous procedures and many erudite people to pronounce a verdict "true" or "false" on various stories.
A "true" verdict for an urban legend does not always mean that ALL pieces are true and part of the same historic event, but it must pass some critical threshold. Folklore tends to blend pieces into a story (the pieces may have been originally parts of different stories).

If this urban legend were researched and confirmed "true" (the essence of it confirmed) - we most likely would have seen it on the History channel.

The word "facts" is used very liberally on TV often w/o a trace of truth - medications, medical procedures, cosmetics, the news, ...
For a ghost story - I give them some slack.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Ok, I understand now what you meant. It does require years of work and dedication.
Years ago I was following a newsgroup on urban legends and there were rigorous procedures and many erudite people to pronounce a verdict "true" or "false" on various stories.
A "true" verdict for an urban legend does not always mean that ALL pieces are true and part of the same historic event, but it must pass some critical threshold. Folklore tends to blend pieces into a story (the pieces may have been originally parts of different stories).

If this urban legend were researched and confirmed "true" (the essence of it confirmed) - we most likely would have seen it on the History channel.

The word "facts" is used very liberally on TV often w/o a trace of truth - medications, medical procedures, cosmetics, the news, ...
For a ghost story - I give them some slack.
It's not the TV channel I am disappointed in. It's the paranormal investigators from LI who stated with their own mouths that the story was a true historical fact that were the disappointment.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 8,174 times
Where can I obtain this documentary? What were the conclusions?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:33 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,800,369 times
dont you know that reality tv is fake?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 8,174 times
These are historical facts? Is it fake?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM

827 posts, read 3,088,339 times
Isn't there a graveyard on Mount Misery Road? I remember being a teen and going to the graveyard at night. I remember being freaked out b/c well, in the dark it was freaky and se jumped the gate. However, I do not recall hearing any ghosts. I just thought it was a "cool" place to hang out and just the thought of being there at night was freaky. I am unsure about the Mary and burning down an asylum though. I do remember somewhere in Melville off of Route 110, there was an orphanage that burnt down. I think it was the early 90's. I remember walking the grounds and burnt down building at night. That's the only thing I remember or know of burning down and having to do with children. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:58 PM

884 posts, read 1,403,398 times
Mary really gets around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island