U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM

59 posts, read 152,127 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if anyone has visited Jayne's Hill (High Hill) located in West Hills County Park in Suffolk. The elevation is about 400 feet above sea level. What's the view like from up there ? Can one see the Long Island Sound in the distance ? or the NYC skyline (maybe too far)..., Thanks in advance for any & all responses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
I always thought that Jayne's Hill was on Jericho Turnpike by all of the car places.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,264,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrosa1990 View Post
I'd like to know if anyone has visited Jayne's Hill (High Hill) located in West Hills County Park in Suffolk. The elevation is about 400 feet above sea level. What's the view like from up there ? Can one see the Long Island Sound in the distance ? or the NYC skyline (maybe too far)..., Thanks in advance for any & all responses.
You cannot see that far north from Jayne's hill - however you can look due south and see the outwash plain clearly down to the ocean - when the leaves are off the trees. I always stand on the bench or the marker to get the best view.
You cannot see the NYC skyline - the only real view is due south.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM

886 posts, read 2,154,530 times
I went there often in the 70's but it was always so smoky (or steamy) in the car and we couldn't see anything.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,264,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
I went there often in the 70's but it was always so smoky (or steamy) in the car and we couldn't see anything.
haha. You should have walked up the hill - better view !

Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Default Topographical map showing location of Jayne's Hill (High Hill)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Default Summit of Jayne's Hill in 2010, with plaque of Walt Whitman's "Paumanok"

Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM

32 posts, read 67,020 times
The whole hill is heavily covered in trees. Not much of a view from their anymore as a result - their is supposedly a spot on the LIE service road a few miles SW where you can see the NYC skyline.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 PM

6,810 posts, read 9,371,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrosa1990 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
You cannot see that far north from Jayne's hill - however you can look due south and see the outwash plain clearly down to the ocean - when the leaves are off the trees. I always stand on the bench or the marker to get the best view.
You cannot see the NYC skyline - the only real view is due south
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtolman View Post
The whole hill is heavily covered in trees. Not much of a view from their anymore as a result - their is supposedly a spot on the LIE service road a few miles SW where you can see the NYC skyline.
There are some nice hiking trails around the West Hills County Park area. Lifetimeliguy is right, the best views are when the leaves are off the trees. However even when the leaves are on the trees it is still a nice walk through a forest.

In addition to views south which lifetime mentioned, on the eastern edge of the hill you can also look down into the valley where Route 110 runs. This might be how the names Sweethollow and Broadhollow (used further south) come from. Years ago, the word "hollow" was sometimes used for a small valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island