U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,187,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
Im curious,

i've been told that:

1) LI does not have roaches
2) there are no poisonous spiders

Other information leads me to believe this is impossible.

So what sort of creepy crawlers does one see quite often?

If you live in squalor it does not count...
Ive seen roaches in amityvile, brentwood, wyndanche, westbury, roosevelt and shirley. Im sure there were more places but these towns stuck to the top of my head. I havent seen them in nice towns, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Ive seen roaches in amityvile, brentwood, wyndanche, westbury, roosevelt and shirley. Im sure there were more places but these towns stuck to the top of my head. I havent seen them in nice towns, tho.
The very first apartment I ever rented -- above a store front on DPA in Babylon Village -- had cucarachas. I never thought to look (dumb and naive) behind appliances; the place appeared clean. As I was cleaning before moving in, I found evidence when I cleaned the stove -- ewwwww gross! I bombed that place relentlessly. The neighbor then complained that her apartment was getting overrun. WIthin 3 months of moving in, I moved out after a puffback. Cheapo landlord wasn't much on maintaining the heating system.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
If I ever saw a roach in my house the for sale sign would be up the next day LOL

Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The very first apartment I ever rented -- above a store front on DPA in Babylon Village -- had cucarachas. I never thought to look (dumb and naive) behind appliances; the place appeared clean. As I was cleaning before moving in, I found evidence when I cleaned the stove -- ewwwww gross! I bombed that place relentlessly. The neighbor then complained that her apartment was getting overrun. WIthin 3 months of moving in, I moved out after a puffback. Cheapo landlord wasn't much on maintaining the heating system.
I think anywhere you have apartments, there's a chance you'll find roaches, though their number varies. Unless every person in the building (or whatever you want to call it) keeps their place spick-and-span, they'll be attracted to the food. The fact that you lived above a storefront made it even more likely that your apartment would have roaches.

When I lived in Brooklyn, my family's apartment was right next to a room that had the garbage chute, so roaches would be attracted to whatever trash was left in the room and whatever residue was in the chute and would crawl in through cracks in the wall. Fortunately, they were spread around the apartment (there wasn't a nest of them or anything), but there were still a good number of them.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 AM

3,173 posts, read 5,665,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I saw something crawl out from under a rock in Rocky Point. The CrookBeetle is harmless but can be annoying if its nest is insulted by other bugs.

Quote:
Im curious,

i've been told that:

I think 99.9% of the spiders you see here are harmless. Brown recluse supposedly have been found here..but I think that is mainly from being transported in cargo from the South/Southwest. This is not their preferred habitat, nor the black widows. Roaches I'm sure are in a few peoples homes. Not as prevalent as NYC and in apartment buildings though.

The biggest pests that I can think of that are found nearly everywhere on LI (and in most homes to some capacity) are carpenter ants and termites. Even if you don't see them, chances are most homes have had (or do have) some kind of issue with one of these insects.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:08 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I think anywhere you have apartments, there's a chance you'll find roaches, though their number varies. Unless every person in the building (or whatever you want to call it) keeps their place spick-and-span, they'll be attracted to the food. The fact that you lived above a storefront made it even more likely that your apartment would have roaches.

When I lived in Brooklyn, my family's apartment was right next to a room that had the garbage chute, so roaches would be attracted to whatever trash was left in the room and whatever residue was in the chute and would crawl in through cracks in the wall. Fortunately, they were spread around the apartment (there wasn't a nest of them or anything), but there were still a good number of them.
It was a freestanding building, downstairs storefront did not sell or prepare food. I believe these roaches were primarily the result of dirty tenants.

Even living away at college -- the dorms had the occasional cockroach. I remember coming home from school and my mother making me shake out all my stuff in the backyard, and then bringing it in, one laundry load at a time, to the washer. She grew up in the City and wanted no part of cockroaches. Can't say I blame her.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 AM

8,507 posts, read 11,379,976 times
If you accidentally import one or a few when traveling, doesn't it mean it's absolutely possible ANYWHERE?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 AM

160 posts, read 270,557 times
Quote:
Im curious,

i've been told that:

Clueless politicians

Bleeding heart liberals

Illegals

If you want to start a business on LI, an exterminator specializing with the above pests would make a killing (no pun intended).

Dare to dream.........

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,187,863 times
they tend to live in tvs, vcrs and cable boxes. they emit heat and thats where they tend to live.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM

160 posts, read 270,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
they tend to live in tvs, vcrs and cable boxes. they emit heat and thats where they tend to live.
They like Cablevision devices. If you get FiOS, Verizon's equipment deters them. Just another reason to switch.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island