U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:34 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,424,731 times

Advertisements

I think they're cute, and we've been leaving them alone. Do they do any harm (such as spread disease or damage fabrics) or do people just not like the way they look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM

7,245 posts, read 9,598,026 times
Not to be sadistic, but.... years ago when we they used lacquer for hair spray, my mom had one of those bouffy updo's that were popular at the time. I saw a spider in the bath room and hit it with the spray can of lacquer. It froze him on the spot. I had actually forgotten about it until my nephew did the same thing with hair spray a while ago. It brought back a good chuckle and I admit to having used it when I have no bug spray.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,265,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Has anyone else been dealing with cave crickets in their homes? I moved into a house in Port Washington this year and I've been seeing these things since the hurricane, pretty much. I continue to see and kill them in my basement with some regularity.

I've tried making sure that the vents (dryer vent) and other openings to the outside are sealed. I've tried running the dehumidifier (even though the basement doesn't feel damp) because I've read they like damp areas.

Has anyone else been dealing with these cave crickets? Has anyone had success in getting rid of them? Thanks.
Try the JT Eaton "Pest Catchers" Spider and Glue Traps - hard to find (I think I found them at either True Value or Ace Hardware). Put the traps near a wall/corner (behind the bathroom bowl is a great place). Not too pleasant to pick up the traps after a few days but believe me they do work well. Good luck

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I think they're cute, and we've been leaving them alone. Do they do any harm (such as spread disease or damage fabrics) or do people just not like the way they look?
If you think they are cute then I'll bring the ones over from my mom's house for you to enjoy

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,424,731 times
Default There is no vacancy at the Cave Cricket Inn.

Our basement is filled with them at the moment, so I'm not sure we could comfortably house your surplus, but thanks for the offer!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
our basement is filled with them at the moment, so i'm not sure we could comfortably house your surplus, but thanks for the offer!
lmao!!!:d

Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,841,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
IN a little while the hard freeze should kill them off but I would put duct tape down sticky side up, that will catch a bunch and also DIATOMACEOUS EARTH sprinkled around the foundation should do the trick.
Thanks for the duct tape tip gona try it ,a lot cheaper than the sticky traps i have been useing.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM

160 posts, read 270,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Has anyone else been dealing with cave crickets in their homes? I moved into a house in Port Washington this year and I've been seeing these things since the hurricane, pretty much. I continue to see and kill them in my basement with some regularity.

I've tried making sure that the vents (dryer vent) and other openings to the outside are sealed. I've tried running the dehumidifier (even though the basement doesn't feel damp) because I've read they like damp areas.

Has anyone else been dealing with these cave crickets? Has anyone had success in getting rid of them? Thanks.
If you have cats, these buggers are better than any toy you can buy for them. Plus, those crickets are territorial. The cats will keep them away.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:35 PM

344 posts, read 570,544 times
Thanks for the replies.

I just hate these things. One good thing that has come from this is that it has gotten be over my fear/anxiety over bugs. My fear has become anger.

Also they are one of the only bugs that I have killed for which I can feel their cold, wet guts through the paper towel after I squish them.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
If you have cats, these buggers are better than any toy you can buy for them. Plus, those crickets are territorial. The cats will keep them away.
Maybe that's why I've never had any!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island