U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM

574 posts, read 965,651 times

Advertisements

Zombie fan here, curious if anyone here has ever given any thought to how you would act during a zombie apocalypse. For the sake of discussion they can be slow Romero style zombies. I figure Long Islanders would pretty much be stuck on the Island unless you've got a boat, good luck getting to any of the bridges or tunnels out of here (and for that matter, would you really want to cross into Manhattan or the Bronx? They'd be full of the walking dead).

Would you barricade yourself inside your house or try to stake your claim to a mall or a walmart or a place like that?

There's a school near me that I think I would try to get to. Brick building, solid windows, strong doors, probably a good supply of food inside, and it's surrounded by houses on two sides, fences on the third, with only the front facing a side street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM

15,736 posts, read 23,966,899 times
This is actually why I moved. I was afraid of getting stuck on an Island in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse. One less thing to worry about now.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM

9,585 posts, read 11,172,323 times
The zombie apocolypse is coming to LI...search my other posts, you'll see...it's real

Old 11-15-2011, 05:41 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,325,034 times
Enough with this zombie nonsense...born from the useless thoughts of the video game generation

Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Enough with this zombie nonsense...born from the useless thoughts of the video game generation
There was a History Channel program (aired before Halloween) during which various people (authority types) suggested the government is using the 'Zombie Apocalypse' as a way of getting people more aware of what they would need in the even of an actual emergency of the non Zombie variety.

I wonder how true that is.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The zombie apocolypse is coming to LI...search my other posts, you'll see...it's real
I figured you'd come out for this thread! LOL! I was just going to write "DM hotkarl!"

Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
NAA AHH.

There were zombies way before videogames were even invented. Way before computers were even invented. See Haiti, old horror movies and old comic books.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Zombie fan here, curious if anyone here has ever given any thought to how you would act during a zombie apocalypse. For the sake of discussion they can be slow Romero style zombies. I figure Long Islanders would pretty much be stuck on the Island unless you've got a boat, good luck getting to any of the bridges or tunnels out of here (and for that matter, would you really want to cross into Manhattan or the Bronx? They'd be full of the walking dead).

Would you barricade yourself inside your house or try to stake your claim to a mall or a walmart or a place like that?

There's a school near me that I think I would try to get to. Brick building, solid windows, strong doors, probably a good supply of food inside, and it's surrounded by houses on two sides, fences on the third, with only the front facing a side street.
Living in a densely occupied area, I think we're all eventually zombie bait if we choose to stay here. I am more of the bug out crowd -- getting somewhere much less densely populated where I have a chance to at least to forage for food (plants/animals) when the supplies run out and the living turn on one another. I would certainly want some sort of low structure built into the earth, with a few entrances not unlike prairie dog burrows.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There was a History Channel program (aired before Halloween) during which various people (authority types) suggested the government is using the 'Zombie Apocalypse' as a way of getting people more aware of what they would need in the even of an actual emergency of the non Zombie variety.

True.

That's right. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has published Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse on how to prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:20 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,480,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

A lot of the skills learned by "zombie enthusiasts" can be applied to many situations.. Basic firearms instruction, farming, tracking, cooking, hunting, etc.

Its kind of refreshing to learn something not tied to a computer or similar technological device. Learning new things never killed anyone.

And hey, never hurts to prepare for the worst, just dont get caught up in it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or