U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,526,747 times

Advertisements

So, I arrive at the Massapequa station this morning for the 7:14 train and I am greeted by two gentlemen from the MTA/LIRR handing out full color pamphlets about "Escalator Saftey".

Someone in the MTA/LIRR felt this was money well spent. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,170,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
So, I arrive at the Massapequa station this morning for the 7:14 train and I am greeted by two gentlemen from the MTA/LIRR handing out full color pamphlets about "Escalator Saftey".

Before you scrutinize, see if the railroad just paid out to a lawsuit for an escalator injury. Everything like this is done as a result of someone else's lack of personal responsability.

Case in point: The platform / train gap incidents. For over 100 years, people have been stepping on or off trains onto a platform with no issue. One drunk girl falls into the gap, doesnt listen to instruction to remain where she is and climbs out to an adjacent track and is killed by another train, and it's the railroad's fault. That is what started all the gap paranoia.

Remember for every warning about somethng obvious, some idiot had to have hurt themselvs and sued. I think they are called "Stella Awards", named after the woman who sued McDonalds over hot coffee.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Before you scrutinize, see if the railroad just paid out to a lawsuit for an escalator injury. Everything like this is done as a result of someone else's lack of personal responsability.

Case in point: The platform / train gap incidents. For over 100 years, people have been stepping on or off trains onto a platform with no issue. One drunk girl falls into the gap, doesnt listen to instruction to remain where she is and climbs out to an adjacent track and is killed by another train, and it's the railroad's fault. That is what started all the gap paranoia.

Remember for every warning about somethng obvious, some idiot had to have hurt themselvs and sued. I think they are called "Stella Awards", named after the woman who sued McDonalds over hot coffee.
True, I can't wait to see the one on "Parking Safety", "Safety on the Steps" and "Elevator Safety"

I understand the "Gap" issue but I think this is a little bit of a waste, just like the LIRR Newsletters that little the train every month. Maybe it is just me.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,326,781 times
The new escalator at Mass Park now has audio announcements as you go up to the platform...telling you such things as...hold onto the rail, hold childrens hands, face forward...

Just proves that our educational system on Long Island has not prepared some adults to live here.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
The new escalator at Mass Park now has audio announcements as you go up to the platform...telling you such things as...hold onto the rail, hold childrens hands, face forward...

Just proves that our educational system on Long Island has not prepared some adults to live here.
Is it in English only, or bilingual? We wouldn't want any Spanish speaking escalator riders left out.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Is it in English only, or bilingual? We wouldn't want any Spanish speaking escalator riders left out.
Great point! I didn't look at it long enough due to the fact I have nearly 40 years solo experience using escalators.

The funny part is the comments that people were saying "Could you please just make sure the thing works" and "Are you kidding me?"

Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,199,032 times
How have I managed to survive 35+ years without this? I feel like i've dodged a huge bullet.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 AM

160 posts, read 270,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post

The escalating fares and escalating taxes cause blood pressure to escalate.

Maybe this is what they were talking about.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM

939 posts, read 1,961,343 times
i think they should also provide escape instructions in case the escalator stops while people are on it...

Old 11-16-2011, 02:20 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,189,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
The escalating fares and escalating taxes cause blood pressure to escalate.

Maybe this is what they were talking about.

this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island