U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times

Advertisements

From Newsday Mobile, for all to read:

Probe: Unsafe 'sober homes' growing on LI
Top Stories Item

Two sentences from the article:

Quote:
An estimated 200 so-called "sober homes" here now form a cottage industry fueled by public assistance subsidies for recovering addicts seeking inexpensive housing. Many of these homes have few or no ties to certified treatment programs, experts say, and some are plagued by overcrowding, crime and unsafe conditions.
***sigh***

Yet another slumlord boondoggle ... and all on our tax dollars too! Worse than the illegal alien boardinghouses, as those residents at least pay their own rent and don't get it provided on our tax dollars. It seems on LI there's always a slumlord around the corner looking to infringe on the QOL and rights to a safe, pleasant neighborhood of the rest of us. With the taxes we pay, included actually paying the profits TO the slumlord (who can make more than doctors do with none of the responsibilities and a tiny fraction of the expenses -- the article gives figures on the immense profits turned in a few short years -- much more than the cost of the house), we should NOT be subjected to this.

I don't know anybody who bought a private home on LI who signed up for a sober house overcrowded to the gills with totally unsupervised addicts on their block or in their neighborhood. Do you?

Don't get me wrong. For example, I would not complain if someone wanted to put a home for autistic or developmentally disabled adults in my neighborhood. Why not? They are properly supervised 24-7-365, the residents are fed and cared for, some of the residents get jobs, the residents are taken on outings and live like members of the community. I know someone whose son is in one of these places and he is living a good life there. If they tried to put a "sober" house on my block? I'd call Village Hall and freak out on them. The revolving door of unsupervised, unfed or cared for addicts in and out of the so-called "sober houses" is totally different from homes for disabled adults and nothing but a recipe for failure, disaster, overdoses, and crime ... all for the immense profits of a few slumlords. Be sure and read the whole article as it talks about overdoses and how often the police have to come to these places and interviews a sober-house slumlord who admits he is only in it for the profit and has no intention of supervising his residents/tenants.

Has anyone ever lived near one of these places? Has anyone ever known a person who lived in one of these places? In the article they interview some and the places sound horrible, useless, more inclined to make a person go back to drugs, etc., and nothing but a huge waste of our tax dollars.

Why are our tax dollars supporting these places that have absolutely no oversight and no responsibility to the residents and the community?

I'd also like to know what their real estate taxes are like: are they paying the same as the private family homes on the block or are they being taxed as what they are -- a commercial, high profit-making enterprise?

With the totally outrageous taxes all of us pay on Long Island, no matter how humble our home, we should not be subjected to this. All so a greedy few slumlords can make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Most appear to be in SuffDump so this is totally irrelevant.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM

886 posts, read 2,154,530 times
As a member of AA I have seen a few men who have succeeded by living in sober homes and their chief complaint is the drug use and drinking by housemates and house managers. It's sad but they largely are failures.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM

4,086 posts, read 7,169,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
With the totally outrageous taxes all of us pay on Long Island, no matter how humble our home, we should not be subjected to this. All so a greedy few slumlords can make a profit.
Agreed. Which do-gooder is pushing these places?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Agreed. Which do-gooder is pushing these places?
No do gooders in particular.

It's predatory landlords who "accept" welfare payment of rent.

The monthly payment (as per the story) is $309 for a single adult.

So what these landlords do is stuff the house full to the rafters (two or more bunkbeds in a room is not uncommon) with addicts on welfare.

The only way to stop this is for welfare to stop paying for this type of housing. Welfare should say that they will only pay for a private bedroom, not one full of bunkbeds with 4-8 occupants in it. Then I'm sure the landlords wouldn't be so eager to stuff houses full of addicts if they had to rely on the addicts to pay their own rent (even if it is only $309 a month). Suffolk County tried to regulate it, but a judge struck them down.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
As a member of AA I have seen a few men who have succeeded by living in sober homes and their chief complaint is the drug use and drinking by housemates and house managers. It's sad but they largely are failures.
What do you think is better:

-- regulated sober houses

or

-- no sober houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or