U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 AM

13,920 posts, read 16,577,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see the racism in the Kia commercial ... I actually think it's brilliant marketing! compared to the mundane ads the auto companies usually run. Comparing the Soul to toasters, washing machines and cardboard boxes crumpling up.. it's genius from start to finish -- much better than the boring 'LMFAO' ad. Wasn't Kia running these hamster commercials way before this 'Hamsterdam' one came out?

I read that this ad was made by a black guy BTW and won auto ad of the year.
I never saw it, either. The whole drab colored 'hamsters on a wheel' and then the bright red Soul bursting out onto the scene -- it's very clever and memorable.

This was the first one that I know of:

Kia | "Hamsters" - YouTube

FWIW I love the Hamsterdam ad.

Kia Motors "Hamster Rap" 2010 Commercial - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,138,160 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see the racism in the Kia commercial ... I actually think it's brilliant marketing! compared to the mundane ads the auto companies usually run. Comparing the Soul to toasters, washing machines and cardboard boxes crumpling up.. it's genius from start to finish -- much better than the boring 'LMFAO' ad. Wasn't Kia running these hamster commercials way before this 'Hamsterdam' one came out?

I like the commercials too. Very cute.

I guess it slipped by the PC Police.

Maybe they are not old enough to remember the deragatory term hamster? I remember the term, but I don't know where it came from or why they were called hamsters.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,289,347 times
Quote:

I never heard "hamster" as a racist term for black people either... kinda disappointed in myself. I think whoever put that commercial together probably never heard it either, no way they'd put it out otherwise... too risky.

Maybe their next commercial will feature bunnies driving a Kia Soul through the jungle and they pull up to a nice old house with a bunch of monkeys hanging out on the porch?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 PM

4,481 posts, read 5,148,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I never saw it, either. The whole drab colored 'hamsters on a wheel' and then the bright red Soul bursting out onto the scene -- it's very clever and memorable.

This was the first one that I know of:

Kia | "Hamsters" - YouTube

FWIW I love the Hamsterdam ad.

Kia Motors "Hamster Rap" 2010 Commercial - YouTube
I love the hamster commercials but they are really bizarre. Look at the second one, they actually dare to compare their car to a toaster and a cardboard box! Talk about setting the bar low LOL.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 8,233 times
We were in a similar situation having a baby and moving from Manhattan. We were looking at RVC and Lynbrook and Merrick mostly. Ended up in Oceanside and happy with our choice. Almost put an offer on the infamous "Murder House" (Tinyes) in Gibson section of VS. Thank you google search.
I would reconsider Oceanside –*Terrace area especially, and Lynbrook.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,067,966 times
Wow, "Hamster" is a racist term?!? lol, are there actually people who sit at home all day and think/make up new racial slurs because it's like I learn a new one everyday!

Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 AM

449 posts, read 508,400 times
To the OP: the area your referring to is often called the "Nassau Riviera" on this forum. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that yet.
I attended Massapequa Schools in Massapequa most of my childhood. I also spent a lot of time there, too (albeit my real home was in Amityville, which I didn't get to know very well) It WAS great, but Massapequa (and from what I've heard, Bellmore, too) is going down the drain. I was very glad when I moved to Lindenhurst. I never want to move back to pequa. In pequa, not until past Jerusalem Avenue does the snobbiness go away. But there are still a lot of problems. In September, I saw 2 teens having sex in a bus stop on sunrise highway! All I can say is that when I have kids I wouldn't send them to school in pequa and would be cautious about bellmore. But then again what sane person would be living on long island 10 or so years from now. Oh and don't fret too much about school districts. I'm doing much better in Lindy HS then I ever did in Pequa, even thow Lindy has lower ratings. What REALLY matters is how it is at home. Motivation! Motivation! Motivation! Give your kids a good atmosphere at home, they'll succeed in Copiague, Brentwood(I have cousins in elementary scho there, and they're doing exceptional.), William Floyd, Amityville, Wyandanch, Roosevelt, Freeport etc. Give them an awful atmosphere at home and no motivation, they'll do awful in Cold Spring Harbor, Massapequa, Half Hollow Hills, etc. Hope I helped!!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:10 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,488,587 times
It's interesting, it seems you didn't fit in with any of the 8000 kids there...so that makes it bad/snobby in your mind. I could understand how renting an apartment made that harder. But if you think it's snobby here, I can't imagine what would have happened to you in a school on the North Shore -- like CSH, Syosset or Garden City. It sounds like you couldn't really make any friends there that was the problem. 2 teens having sex in the bus stop?? lmao, okay.
The facts and the numbers are definitely not on your side. Pequas not going down, if anything it looks better than 5-10 years ago. BTW, did you play any sports?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 PM

449 posts, read 508,400 times
Quote:
It's interesting, it seems you didn't fit in with any of the 8000 kids there...so that makes it bad/snobby in your mind. I could understand how renting an apartment made that harder. But if you think it's snobby here, I can't imagine what would have happened to you in a school on the North Shore -- like CSH, Syosset or Garden City. It sounds like you couldn't really make any friends there that was the problem. 2 teens having sex in the bus stop?? lmao, okay.
The facts and the numbers are definitely not on your side. Pequas not going down, if anything it looks better than 5-10 years ago. BTW, did you play any sports?
MOST of the kids in pequa hate their town, it's pathetic. A lot of Kids envied me when I moved. Though I do understand that massapequa is nothing like the north shore towns u mentioned, it is still very rich and has that snobby element. No I didn't play any sports, I think they're boring. And I really don't think the bus stop situation is a nice thing for a town to have either.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:10 PM

16 posts, read 31,969 times
How rich is Massapequa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island