U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 PM

449 posts, read 905,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecollarbred View Post
How rich is Massapequa?
This is for the hamlet of massapequa:
Median Value of owner-occupied housing units: $562,100
Per Capita Money income In past 12 months (2009 dollars): $42,169
Median Household Income: $107,181
Percent of People (all ages) below poverty line: 2.9%
Info from Massapequa CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM

29 posts, read 43,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
This is for the hamlet of massapequa:
Median Value of owner-occupied housing units: $562,100
Per Capita Money income In past 12 months (2009 dollars): $42,169
Median Household Income: $107,181
Percent of People (all ages) below poverty line: 2.9%
Info from Massapequa CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
It drives me nuts that I didn't buy a house there or anywhere in like 2000. My HHI is like 150,000 and I am struggling to afford to live in a starter ranch in Copiague, but folks that bought before the housing market took off, can survive on 100G a year because their mortgage is like 1500 a month.

Oh well, bitching about it wont help. I will just be destined to be in a 3,000 a month mortgage payment for life.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM

136 posts, read 418,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I was specifically referring to the East Massapequa that is subject to Amityville Schools, east of Carmans Road (as I stated in this thread). Not Walter's East Massapequa Proper which encompasses some of the nicer parts of Massapequa.
Informally, when people think "East Massapequa", they really only think of the area between Carmen/Carmen Mill Road and County Line Road in the Amityville school district. I know technically the hamlet is broader - but you would be hard pressed to find many people in the western 2/3rds of the hamlet saying they actually live in "East Massapequa". Having grown up in the "Amityville" section, I can tell you we definetly felt we were a separate community from the rest of the hamlet, although we lived virtually side by side.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,509,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I believe Bellmore and Merrick elementary schools are already consolidated. And there is talk of closing one school in the district to cut costs. If there ever was a broader consolidation, who knows? I do agree with you about the Meadowbrook being a solid boundary. However, history should dictate that you can't apply logic to Nassau legislation.
This already has been decided- it's Gunther. Enrollment in Bellmore is way down right now.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,668,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I never heard "hamster" as a racist term for black people either... kinda disappointed in myself. I think whoever put that commercial together probably never heard it either, no way they'd put it out otherwise... too risky.

Maybe their next commercial will feature bunnies driving a Kia Soul through the jungle and they pull up to a nice old house with a bunch of monkeys hanging out on the porch?
I think we're in the majority not having heard the term before. It makes no sense anyway. Now if someone did the porch commercial (why would they even do that, lol??), forget about it.

What I think is interesting is how LMFAO kinda flipped the script in their 'Party Rock Anthem' video and 'sexy and I know it' vid... usually it's white people that are made out to look lame in music videos (and commercials) - not LMFAO's however. I'm surprised there wasn't an uproar by the NAACP about this...maybe they didn't notice.

LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem ft. Lauren Bennett, GoonRock - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM

239 posts, read 417,356 times
Thechig2,

I wouldn't regret not buying a house on Long Island 10 years ago. While taxes have skyrocketed, this a great time for buying since the housing market has taken a dump.

I think Merrick-Bellmore or Massapequa would be a good fit for you. Both towns are conveniently located near the SSP, which turns into the Belt Parkway and takes you directly to Brooklyn. Forget the North Shore because it's way out of your budget, snobby for the most part, and it would be more of a hassle commuting from the North Shore to Brooklyn.

I agree with what you said about the South Shore towns west of Merrick (e.g. Oceanside, East Rockaway, Lynbrook) they are nice towns but way too congested. RVC is nice with good schools, but again it's going to be out of your range and just as congested as the other towns I mentioned.

If I were going to choose between South Merrick and South Bellmore, I'd probably choose South Bellmore. I think it's slightly cheaper than South Merrick. The Merrick-Bellmore area is nice in general, but the southern section has the nicest houses IMO. As for the snobbishness, yes it is probably more uppity than the rest of Merrick-Bellmore. But South Merrick and South Bellmore don't have near the level of snobbishness compared to other upscale Long Island towns such as Garden City, Manhasset, and Great Neck. As for flood insurance I never thought about that, but it is a good point to think about.

Massapequa is a lovely area too. Great schools and nice houses. The schools are little more crowded than Merrick-Bellmore but most people are still pleased with them. Massapequa is further east so the commute to Brooklyn will be longer. Wantagh and Seaford have good schools as well, but something about those towns don't appeal to me the way Merrick-Bellmore or Massapequa do. I can't explain why.

Merrick-Bellmore is also closer to the Roosevelt Field Mall where as Massapequa has the Sunrise Mall. Roosevelt Field Mall is way better and if being close to the best shopping is important to you, I would pick Merrick-Bellmore over Massapequa.

As for the fact that Merrick has a lot of robberies because it's close to Freeport and Roosevelt, I wouldn't worry about it. Crime is everywhere and robberies have been happening on Long Island since it first started becoming more developed. Most middle-class and upper-middle class towns on the South Shore and middle section of Nassau are at higher risk for crime because they are closer to lower income areas. Garden City has had a lot of robberies, and when my family first moved there we got robbed. We ended up putting a security system in our house. In fact, many people in Garden City have put security systems in their homes. No matter where you move to I would suggest installing a security system. Robberies on Long Island are just something you have to work around rather than worry about.

Overall, I think Merrick-Bellmore or Massapequa would be great for you. You can't go wrong with either of those areas.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
If I were going to choose between South Merrick and South Bellmore, I'd probably choose South Bellmore.
Are you referring to the southern part of Merrick and Bellmore, because there is no South Merrick nor South Bellmore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Merrick-Bellmore is also closer to the Roosevelt Field Mall where as Massapequa has the Sunrise Mall.
Sunrise Mall is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY" mailing address).

Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM

367 posts, read 590,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Are you referring to the southern part of Merrick and Bellmore, because there is no South Merrick nor South Bellmore.

Sunrise Mall is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY" mailing address).
Please sit down somewhere. You know what he meant.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,519,383 times
The Ronkonkoma Branch takes you into the city much faster than the Babylon branch.

Just thought i'd add that in.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:32 AM

3,173 posts, read 5,668,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
The Ronkonkoma Branch takes you into the city much faster than the Babylon branch.

Just thought i'd add that in.
I thought the Ronk branch was technically the portion of the main line with only Ronko + East of Ronkonkoma, and the Babylon Branch is from Babylon to Jamaica, no? Either way, it's about the same speed (or slower) until you get to Hicksville on the main line.

From Ronkonkoma To Penn Station Next >>
Depart Arrive Transfer Leaves Trip Duration
7:40 AM 9:05 AM Jamaica 8:43 AM 1 hrs. 25 mins Peak
7:57 AM 9:17 AM 1 hrs. 20 mins Peak
8:31 AM 9:56 AM 1 hrs. 25 mins Peak
9:11 AM 10:32 AM 1 hrs. 21 mins Off Peak
10:11 AM 11:32 AM 1 hrs. 21 mins

Departing Schedules

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

From Babylon To Penn Station Next >>
Depart Arrive Transfer Leaves Trip Duration
8:10 AM 9:11 AM Jamaica 8:52 AM 1 hrs. 1 mins Peak
8:16 AM 9:31 AM 1 hrs. 15 mins Peak
8:35 AM 9:37 AM 1 hrs. 2 mins Peak
8:37 AM 9:50 AM 1 hrs. 13 mins Peak
9:06 AM 10:19 AM 1 hrs. 13 mins Off Peak

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-10-2012 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or