U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

160 posts, read 270,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'm not seeing what you're saying.

If the Merrick School District and Bellmore School District (I don't know about the outlines of the different districts, but let's assume they're seperate), they'd still be one entity, wouldn't they?

The problem would be if they took over the Freeport School District and they sent kids living in Freeport to Freeport schools and kids living in Merrick to Merrick schools. Then, it would be segregation within the district, because it's one district that covers mostly White and mostly Black/Hispanic areas, and the kids are being segregated so they go to mostly White or mostly Black/Hispanic schools.
I believe Bellmore and Merrick elementary schools are already consolidated. And there is talk of closing one school in the district to cut costs. If there ever was a broader consolidation, who knows? I do agree with you about the Meadowbrook being a solid boundary. However, history should dictate that you can't apply logic to Nassau legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 PM

3,173 posts, read 5,666,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Best American High Schools: How We Compiled the List - The Daily Beast

That is the metric used in the Newsweek 2010 listing.
I stand corrected on this..they do use more than one data point now. But they still only use certain random schools in their list. And the biggest error is the data they have is very inaccurate. I looked at some of the NY schools on that list and in many cases they had at least 2 to 3 data points off by a mile. (eg- they have Commack at 74% college bound, it's really 95%...they have Baldwin @ 98% grad rate, it's really 89%).. I only looked briefly and found way too many errors like that in almost every school's data. Very shoddy and definitely not a reliable list to go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I don't get how posters are recommending against Merrick because of it's proximity to Roosevelt- that would be like me saying to avoid Massapequa because of it's proximity to Amityville. Both statements are ridiculous. It's not like Merrick is overrun with crime, it's a very safe neighborhood. As far as merrick south of Merrick Rd. (or even south of Sunrise) there was a bit too much snobbery for us so we passed. We ended up in North Merrick schools but we still have the Merrick address, and the people are so muchmore down to earth here and nice. Neighborhoods are beautiful, such as the Briarcliffor Wenshaw areas, and you could buy a great house in this neighborhood on your budget. The schools are excellent, there are many clubs and extracurriculars starting even at the elementary school level.

I would say you should focus your search on Massapequa, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore, North Bellmore, Merrick, or North Merrick. Can't really go wrong in any of those areas.
I definitely agree with you on Merrick. It's a great area with equally great schools. But you can't compare [Roosevelt, Freeport (bad parts), Hempstead and Uniondale] to Amityville, and the spillover of crime Merrick gets. It's not even close. In fact, Amityville Village is actually a pretty quaint little village -- Go check it out. North Amityville however is dumpy by rt 110 to the Copiague border, but nowhere near as bad as the areas around Merrick. You rarely ever even hear about any crime in Amityville.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
To that end, the spike in crime (or just the fact that there is more of it) in East Massapequa is relative to its bordering Amityville, hence, East Massapequa is off the list.
Does that include the western two-thirds of East Massapequa that is in the Massapequa Union Free School District?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I believe Bellmore and Merrick elementary schools are already consolidated.
They are in separate elementary school districts but are in the same Central High School District.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Does that include the western two-thirds of East Massapequa that is in the Massapequa Union Free School District?
It generally means anything east of Carmans Road, in Amityville Schools.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
They are in separate elementary school districts but are in the same Central High School District.
Ah, thanks. I had it backwards.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It generally means anything east of Carmans Road, in Amityville Schools.
Prior to 1990, the eastern-third of what is now the Hamlet of East Massapequa (i.e., the area east of Carmen Mill Road) was the Hamlet of West Amityville, and traveling west to east from the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line, there was the Hamlet of Massapequa, the Village of Massapequa Park, the Hamlet of East Massapequa and the Hamlet of West Amityville; then in 1990, concomitant with the 1990 Federal Census, the Hamlet of West Amityville was made part of an already existing Hamlet of East Massapequa.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Prior to 1990, the eastern-third of what is now the Hamlet of East Massapequa (i.e., the area east of Carmen Mill Road) was the Hamlet of West Amityville, and traveling west to east from the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line, there was the Hamlet of Massapequa, the Village of Massapequa Park, the Hamlet of East Massapequa and the Hamlet of West Amityville; then in 1990, concomitant with the 1990 Federal Census, the Hamlet of West Amityville was made part of an already existing Hamlet of East Massapequa.
Well it's pretty ghetto over there.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Quote:
Well it's pretty ghetto over there.
Only in LI is this considered ghetto:

51 Plymouth Drive, Massapequa, United States Google Maps - Google Maps

Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, 51 Plymouth Drive is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa. NY 11758" mailing address) and, more importantly, in the Amityville Union Free School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or