Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM

29 posts, read 50,920 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Suffolk and am looking to move to Nassau, preferably Merrick, but open to anywhere between Merrick and Massapequa. My budget is between 400-475 or so.

I have 2 very little babies, and am moving for the schools but also don't want to be in a neighborhood that's too stuck up.

I know I can find some decent houses in that range south of Merrick Rd in Merrick, but not sure that would be the friendliest place to be either. We have been looking between Merrick Rd and Sunrise in Merrick as well, but the selection there seems to be pretty slim and overpriced for what you get. So I am thinking of expanding my reach into other areas.

My wife works in Brooklyn and drives, so we were hoping to be near some highways as that would shave some serious time off her commute.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM

160 posts, read 316,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
I currently live in Suffolk and am looking to move to Nassau, preferably Merrick, but open to anywhere between Merrick and Massapequa. My budget is between 400-475 or so.

I have 2 very little babies, and am moving for the schools but also don't want to be in a neighborhood that's too stuck up.

I know I can find some decent houses in that range south of Merrick Rd in Merrick, but not sure that would be the friendliest place to be either. We have been looking between Merrick Rd and Sunrise in Merrick as well, but the selection there seems to be pretty slim and overpriced for what you get. So I am thinking of expanding my reach into other areas.

My wife works in Brooklyn and drives, so we were hoping to be near some highways as that would shave some serious time off her commute.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You might wish to consider expanding your search slightly north. Anywhere from Merrick to Massapequa you can't go wrong, personally I would cross Merrick and Bellmore off your list and keep it to Seaford, Wantagh and Massapequa/Massapequa Park (avoid East Massapequa). Depending on where you are, south of Merrick Road and (I think) Sunrise Highway, you will require flood insurance, and that incredible waste of money can add significant $ to your monthly nut.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Baldwin Harbor.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Baldwin Harbor.
Although Baldwin Harbor, while nowhere near what it used to be, is okay for people who don't have and don't want kids, the OP said he's moving specifically for the schools. Sadly, the heyday for Baldwin schools was literally decades ago. They used to be well regarded -- decades ago. Now they are mediocre at best. I wouldn't move there and pay those taxes for that school performance if I had kids.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
You might wish to consider expanding your search slightly north. Anywhere from Merrick to Massapequa you can't go wrong, personally I would cross Merrick and Bellmore off your list and keep it to Seaford, Wantagh and Massapequa/Massapequa Park (avoid East Massapequa). Depending on where you are, south of Merrick Road and (I think) Sunrise Highway, you will require flood insurance, and that incredible waste of money can add significant $ to your monthly nut.
Good advice, but why do you cross Merrick and Bellmore off your list?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He's said he's moving for the schools. Sadly, the heyday for Baldwin schools was literally decades ago.

Then he should look at the North shore then because thats where most of the really good schools are...

By the way, school districts can be ranked: (the #'s are country rankings).

#53 - Rockville Centre
#151 - Garden City
#216 - Herricks (NHP)
#299 - Valley Stream South
#383/#431/#667 - Bellmore Merrick s.d.
#405 - Floral Park Memorial (Sewanahaka School District)
#424 - Valley Stream North
#543 - Oceanside
#586 - Lynbrook
#6583 - New Hyde Park Memorial (Sewanahaka School District)
#742 - Valley Stream Central
#812 - Carle Place
#830 - McArthur (Levittown)
#837 - Baldwin
#936 - Clarke (Westbury)
#1112 - WAlt Whitman (huntington)
#1330 - Plainedge (N. Massapequa)
#1410 - Division (Levittown)

These are from Newsweek magazine 2010

Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Then he should look at the North shore then because thats where most of the really good schools are...

By the way, school districts can be ranked: (the #'s are country rankings).

#53 - Rockville Centre
#151 - Garden City
#216 - Herricks (NHP)
#299 - Valley Stream South
#383/#431/#667 - Bellmore Merrick s.d.
#405 - Floral Park Memorial (Sewanahaka School District)
#424 - Valley Stream North
#543 - Oceanside
#586 - Lynbrook
#6583 - New Hyde Park Memorial (Sewanahaka School District)
#742 - Valley Stream Central
#812 - Carle Place
#830 - McArthur (Levittown)
#837 - Baldwin
#936 - Clarke (Westbury)
#1112 - WAlt Whitman (huntington)
#1330 - Plainedge (N. Massapequa)
#1410 - Division (Levittown)

These are from Newsweek magazine 2010
FYI: I guess you are not very familiar with the price points on the North Shore. With his budget he's definitely not going to get into one of the top North Shore districts. And where he can afford on the North Shore has a couple of stinkers in its midst too ... much worse than any of the south shore towns he mentioned being interested in.

As he wants the south shore of mid to east Nassau anyway, the only school districts in that stretch I would not recommend are Baldwin and Freeport.

FYI 2: Yes, I have heard of school rankings. However, the "country" rankings are meaningless here because if you live on LI you don't have a "choice" to send your kids to most of the schools across the country unless you are relocating. The most relevant and the best way to rank a school district on LI is head-to-head against other LI school disticts. Remember our taxes are insane here and the poorer performing school district residents do not get a "discount" on their real estate taxes because of that. Get the best you can afford if you have kids. If you don't have kids, I suppose it's okay to take advantage of the lower home prices in the worse school districts, but don't expect top dollar when it's your turn to sell. People know.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Good advice, but why do you cross Merrick and Bellmore off your list?
Personal preference, Merrick is too close to Roosevelt and Freeport, there have been spikes in residential crime there. Bellmore, to me, I see a lot of smaller lots there, a lot of illegal conversions (my personal observation). Think the further east you get, the better it gets, until you hit Carman's Road.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Personal preference, Merrick is too close to Roosevelt and Freeport, there have been spikes in residential crime there. Bellmore, to me, I see a lot of smaller lots there, a lot of illegal conversions (my personal observation). Think the further east you get, the better it gets, until you hit Carman's Road.
Thank you for being honest instead of trying to mislead people into making poor choices.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for being honest instead of trying to mislead people into making poor choices.
People here do that?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island