U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 AM

9,905 posts, read 12,977,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I saw Living Colour at SB back in the day. Urban Dance Squad (?) opened and a fight broke out during their set. They stopped playing and the crowd was ok after that.

I remember the sound being awful being the gym and all...

I remember my older siblings going to see Zappa, etc. there when I was a kid.

I was at that show too, a lot of rough housing there also. Girls we went to both shows with basically hid in the corners of the gym there was so much foolishness going on. A lot of high school kids there. I remember getting kicked in the head by some kid crowd surfing.

I think the fabled Fishbone show was shortly after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I saw Living Colour at SB back in the day. Urban Dance Squad (?) opened and a fight broke out during their set. They stopped playing and the crowd was ok after that.

I remember the sound being awful being the gym and all...

I remember my older siblings going to see Zappa, etc. there when I was a kid.
An article about the SBU concerts in a May 2011 Statesman:

Unlocking the Vaults: Reaching Into Stony Brook’s Rich Concert History | The Statesman (http://www.sbstatesman.com/unlocking-the-vaults-reaching-into-stony-brooks-rich-concert-history786 - broken link)

This lists a few more acts which played:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUSB_(FM)

Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM

689 posts, read 1,100,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Unlocking the Vaults: Reaching Into Stony Brook’s Rich Concert History | The Statesman (http://www.sbstatesman.com/unlocking-the-vaults-reaching-into-stony-brooks-rich-concert-history786 - broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUSB_(FM)

Interesting article.

I have alot of great memories going to concerts at SB. My brother went undergrad/grad at SBU from '75-'80 and on Fridays after school I would take the train from Nassau, get off at the SB station, walk across the field to one of the quads and hang out in my brother's dorm for the weekend.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 PM

7,553 posts, read 7,981,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The Tilles Center at C.W. Post puts on many concerts during the year but I don't think they are what you have in mind. Calendar - Tilles Center for the Performing Arts. One "name(s)" I see from the old days is Judy Collins and Arlo Guthrie. Seating isn't bad. Our HS graduates from there.
Judy Collins played at Stony Brook in the 70s.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 PM

7,553 posts, read 7,981,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

WUSB (FM) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks so much for posting that article from The Statesman. Really interesting. It's a amazing that in those days the students were in charge of the concerts. I remember it was highly desired to get on the concert commttee as an extra-curicular. I would imagine that concert costs were also less because in those days, the shows did not require a flock of professional dancers to accompany the main act or highly computerized and technical sound and light systems. The show revolved around the actual talent of the act who did not need to entrench themselves in a sound and light spectacle to cover up their own shortcomings. The article brought back a vague memory of Bill Graham mentioning to me (and some others) about the Stony Brook shows.

Not on a par with SB, Hofstra also hosted concerts, usually acts on the verge of just breaking out in top 40, during the 70s and 80s.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:37 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,031,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I was at that show too, a lot of rough housing there also. Girls we went to both shows with basically hid in the corners of the gym there was so much foolishness going on. A lot of high school kids there. I remember getting kicked in the head by some kid crowd surfing.

I think the fabled Fishbone show was shortly after that.
Yeah, I think my girlfriend (now wife) was there with me too. I was a big Living Colour fan back then, saw them at the first Lollapalooza and I was hooked. We also saw them at the Academy in NY and Maceo Parker came out for the sax solo during Elvis is Dead. One of those "only in NY" concert moments if you know what I mean. But I digress...

I also saw Fishbone a few times, once in Detroit and once at Jones Beach. Not the original lineup though, unfortunately. Feels like a lifetime ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island