U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,282 times

Advertisements

Long Read Please Be Patient.
If you are the middle class of Nassau County please remember this every time Nassau Republicans tell you they will not raise your taxes: THE NASSAU COUNTY REPUBLICANS HAVE ALREADY RAISED YOUR TAXES.
All you have heard from the Nassau Republicans is how the Democrats want to “raise your taxes!”, when, in fact, the Nassau Republicans have ALREADY raised your taxes. This article* proves how not only did the Republicans raise your taxes, but they feel raising your taxes during a recession is no big deal because the county portion of your taxes is not that high less than 20% of your overall tax bill.
The Republican’s new tax assessment policy increases the tax burden of those whose homes are valued between $330,000 and $440,000. The increase is $227 for those who fall between those figures. Zillow, the popular real estate website, currently values the average Nassau County home at approximately $400,000. So, the majority of Nassau County residents face a $227 tax increase per year thanks to Nassau Republican policy.
The average tax bill per year in Nassau County is approximately $10,000. The county portion of that $10,000 bill is 17% or $1700.00. An increase of $227 is an approximate increase of 13% on the average tax bill for the middle class of Nassau County courtesy of the Republicans. The same Republican party who love to pat themselves on the back for repealing the home energy tax which would have cost the average taxpayer $7.27 a month or $87.24 a year. The Nassau Republicans and Mr. Mangano also like to bring up how they repealed the 3.9% property tax increase County Executive Tom Suozzi had planned at a cost of approximately $66.30 annually per household. Considering that, the Republicans who are so proud of themselves for repealing those tax increases, which would have cost the average Nassau taxpayer approximately $153.54 annually, have increased the tax burden of the middle class by $227 annually. The Republicans increased your portion of the tax burden while ripping a $71 million dollar hole in the $2.63 billion County budget by repealing those two taxes without first determining a way to replace the lost revenue.
Now the Nassau Republicans along with the Nassau County Interim Finance Agency’s big idea is to borrow $450,000,000? When the Mangano administration wanted to borrow (bond) $400,000,000 for the now failed coliseum project, it was going to cost every Nassau County taxpaying homeowner approximately $60 a year over the next thirty years. Considering those numbers, the bonding of $450 million to cover operating costs over the next 4 years will probably cost you around the same amount, $60 annually over the next thirty years. That raises the middle class tax burden to approximately $287 a year give or take. That amounts to an approximate TAX INCREASE of about 17% annually for THE MIDDLE CLASS of Nassau County.
How does the Mangano administration answer the allegations of raising the taxes of the middle class of Nassau County? ... “officials acknowledged that there would be some shift in county taxes onto middle-valued homes, between $333,000 and $440,000. The Mangano administration noted that county levies make up the smallest portion of the total property tax bill -- less than 20 percent.”
So, Mr. Mangano, are the residents of Nassau County the highest taxed residents of any county in the state?...or is the county levy not really that much of a burden on the average Nassau taxpayer which is why you feel the new tax burden shift will be no problem for the middle class to swallow?
The Nassau County Republicans have lied to you and continue to lie to you. They have RAISED your taxes. Call and write your local legislators and the County Executives office. Ask them how this could have happened if they were so adamant about refusing to raise your taxes during a recession.
* Nassau Comptroller Cites Tax Burden Shift -Newsday October 4,2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 PM

160 posts, read 270,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassres View Post
Long Read Please Be Patient.
If you are the middle class of Nassau County please remember this every time Nassau Republicans tell you they will not raise your taxes: THE NASSAU COUNTY REPUBLICANS HAVE ALREADY RAISED YOUR TAXES.
All you have heard from the Nassau Republicans is how the Democrats want to “raise your taxes!”, when, in fact, the Nassau Republicans have ALREADY raised your taxes. This article* proves how not only did the Republicans raise your taxes, but they feel raising your taxes during a recession is no big deal because the county portion of your taxes is not that high less than 20% of your overall tax bill.
The Republican’s new tax assessment policy increases the tax burden of those whose homes are valued between $330,000 and $440,000. The increase is $227 for those who fall between those figures. Zillow, the popular real estate website, currently values the average Nassau County home at approximately $400,000. So, the majority of Nassau County residents face a $227 tax increase per year thanks to Nassau Republican policy.
The average tax bill per year in Nassau County is approximately $10,000. The county portion of that $10,000 bill is 17% or $1700.00. An increase of $227 is an approximate increase of 13% on the average tax bill for the middle class of Nassau County courtesy of the Republicans. The same Republican party who love to pat themselves on the back for repealing the home energy tax which would have cost the average taxpayer $7.27 a month or $87.24 a year. The Nassau Republicans and Mr. Mangano also like to bring up how they repealed the 3.9% property tax increase County Executive Tom Suozzi had planned at a cost of approximately $66.30 annually per household. Considering that, the Republicans who are so proud of themselves for repealing those tax increases, which would have cost the average Nassau taxpayer approximately $153.54 annually, have increased the tax burden of the middle class by $227 annually. The Republicans increased your portion of the tax burden while ripping a $71 million dollar hole in the $2.63 billion County budget by repealing those two taxes without first determining a way to replace the lost revenue.
Now the Nassau Republicans along with the Nassau County Interim Finance Agency’s big idea is to borrow $450,000,000? When the Mangano administration wanted to borrow (bond) $400,000,000 for the now failed coliseum project, it was going to cost every Nassau County taxpaying homeowner approximately $60 a year over the next thirty years. Considering those numbers, the bonding of $450 million to cover operating costs over the next 4 years will probably cost you around the same amount, $60 annually over the next thirty years. That raises the middle class tax burden to approximately $287 a year give or take. That amounts to an approximate TAX INCREASE of about 17% annually for THE MIDDLE CLASS of Nassau County.
How does the Mangano administration answer the allegations of raising the taxes of the middle class of Nassau County? ... “officials acknowledged that there would be some shift in county taxes onto middle-valued homes, between $333,000 and $440,000. The Mangano administration noted that county levies make up the smallest portion of the total property tax bill -- less than 20 percent.”
So, Mr. Mangano, are the residents of Nassau County the highest taxed residents of any county in the state?...or is the county levy not really that much of a burden on the average Nassau taxpayer which is why you feel the new tax burden shift will be no problem for the middle class to swallow?
The Nassau County Republicans have lied to you and continue to lie to you. They have RAISED your taxes. Call and write your local legislators and the County Executives office. Ask them how this could have happened if they were so adamant about refusing to raise your taxes during a recession.
* Nassau Comptroller Cites Tax Burden Shift -Newsday October 4,2011
Source? Proof?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Source is in the article listed at the bottom.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Source is in the article listed at the bottom.
I read the article and it is, or appears to be, paranoid speculation.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,848,614 times
Reassessment is a call to arms? Where was the debate over the last decade or so? Hell I hate LI taxes more then most, but until you start making changes to the schools (2/3rds of your property taxes) your not going anywhere.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:55 PM

233 posts, read 644,921 times
Rep or Dem does not matter. You can get either one to perform lascivious acts like the prozzies they are. Give em a couple dollars and watch em dance.

Say what you want but if there is a briefcase with 1 million dollars and you can take it - nobody will know - or you can give it to the people.

This is why I support the ever growing "Forgive Wall St" campaign.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 PM

@Gordon_Byrne, Thank you for reading my post. I too would like to think that this was just paranoid speculation but I feel to do so would be to ignore the very findings of the man who's job it is to analyze the funds of the county, Mr. Maragos. The article states that Mr. Maragos' final audit of the new assessment policy mirrors findings of a draft obtained by Newsday in February. "In the draft, Maragos estimated owners of midrange homes would see property tax bills increase an average of $227. Owners of high-end houses would see an average tax decrease of $173 and owners of the least expensive houses would see an average drop of $55." That coupled with this statement from the article "officials acknowledged that there would be some shift in county taxes onto middle-valued homes, between $333,000 and $440,000. But the administration noted that county levies make up the smallest portion of the total property tax bill -- less than 20 percent.", is what led me away from dismissing this as just paranoid speculation, and made me lean more towards it being a warning of a probable tax hike for me and many others. I hope you are right sir, I hope that all this article was based on was paranoid speculation, but I felt it necessary to point it out being that the increases will not be reflected until tax time. By then people who experience the increases may forget how the increases got there. My suggestion is to contact your local Nassau politicians and ask them about the Comptrollers findings and whether your taxes will be increased as a result of the new policy. I hope you get a better answer then I did, I'm still awaiting for them to return my calls. As taxpayers of this county we need to become active and pressure our local politicians. Their lip service to our concerns serve as no conciliation when their actions do not reflect their words. Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Quote:
@Gordon_Byrne, Thank you for reading my post. I too would like to think that this was just paranoid speculation but I feel to do so would be to ignore the very findings of the man who's job it is to analyze the funds of the county, Mr. Maragos. The article states that Mr. Maragos' final audit of the new assessment policy mirrors findings of a draft obtained by Newsday in February. "In the draft, Maragos estimated owners of midrange homes would see property tax bills increase an average of $227. Owners of high-end houses would see an average tax decrease of $173 and owners of the least expensive houses would see an average drop of $55." That coupled with this statement from the article "officials acknowledged that there would be some shift in county taxes onto middle-valued homes, between $333,000 and $440,000. But the administration noted that county levies make up the smallest portion of the total property tax bill -- less than 20 percent.", is what led me away from dismissing this as just paranoid speculation, and made me lean more towards it being a warning of a probable tax hike for me and many others. I hope you are right sir, I hope that all this article was based on was paranoid speculation, but I felt it necessary to point it out being that the increases will not be reflected until tax time. By then people who experience the increases may forget how the increases got there. My suggestion is to contact your local Nassau politicians and ask them about the Comptrollers findings and whether your taxes will be increased as a result of the new policy. I hope you get a better answer then I did, I'm still awaiting for them to return my calls. As taxpayers of this county we need to become active and pressure our local politicians. Their lip service to our concerns serve as no conciliation when their actions do not reflect their words. Thanks again.
Looks like it's modelled on the IRS --- middle class pays the most, rich save the most, poor pay next to nothing compared to everyone else.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
Rep or Dem does not matter. You can get either one to perform lascivious acts like the prozzies they are. Give em a couple dollars and watch em dance.

Say what you want but if there is a briefcase with 1 million dollars and you can take it - nobody will know - or you can give it to the people.

This is why I support the ever growing "Forgive Wall St" campaign.
They are two sides to the same coin -- united in their single purpose to serve those who can fill their coffers: the wealthy and the corporations.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Don't yell fire in a crowded theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island