U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM

29 posts, read 43,177 times

Advertisements

Need some input please.

We are having my daughter christened at St Frances De Chantal in January. We are looking for a nearby place to have a small gathering of about 40 people without breaking the bank. Some folks will be coming to the church, others from all over the island and Brooklyn, so proximity isn't such a huge issue.

We are trying to keep it around $30-35 a person tops, and liquor is not a necessity.

We used to like Singleton's but have not been fond of their food lately, and have heard from others its not what it used to be.

We looked at Mulcahy's, but it seemed very overpriced for a bar.

We love the food at Jani, but its not private, as they just turn a few booths around to give you the back of the restaurant, and people tramp through to use the bathrooms.

We were about to book at 56th Fighter Group, but have been told that they too are not what they used to be either.

We are leaning more towards the sit down dinner, but would definitely do a buffet it was good and ample food.

All input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:47 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,030,753 times
How fancy of a place are you looking for? Jackie Reilly's has good food and moderate prices.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Not fancy at all. I am not familiar with Jackie Reilly's but I will definitely look into it. Is it a private room?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM

1,600 posts, read 3,030,753 times
Not a private room.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM

7,245 posts, read 9,598,026 times
What about the Knights of Columbus Memorare Hall. I was to an engagement party there and they did a nice job. Memorare Caterers Home Page.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Hmm. Never heard of it. I will check it out. Do I have to be a knight?

It looks nice. I thought all KofC's were bring your own food. this was catered by them right?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:24 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times
How about the Wantagh Inn?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM

1,349 posts, read 4,365,261 times
check out Guy Anthony's Buon Appetito on the border of bellmore\merrck on Jerusalem really good food and prices are fair.

Guy Anthony's

Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM

7,245 posts, read 9,598,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
Hmm. Never heard of it. I will check it out. Do I have to be a knight?

It looks nice. I thought all KofC's were bring your own food. this was catered by them right?

Very true it is not at all like the majority of KOC halls. The other really nice one locally is in Oceanside. No you do not have to be a knight and yes they handle the catering.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

160 posts, read 270,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
Need some input please.

We are having my daughter christened at St Frances De Chantal in January. We are looking for a nearby place to have a small gathering of about 40 people without breaking the bank. Some folks will be coming to the church, others from all over the island and Brooklyn, so proximity isn't such a huge issue.

We are trying to keep it around $30-35 a person tops, and liquor is not a necessity.

We used to like Singleton's but have not been fond of their food lately, and have heard from others its not what it used to be.

We looked at Mulcahy's, but it seemed very overpriced for a bar.

We love the food at Jani, but its not private, as they just turn a few booths around to give you the back of the restaurant, and people tramp through to use the bathrooms.

We were about to book at 56th Fighter Group, but have been told that they too are not what they used to be either.

We are leaning more towards the sit down dinner, but would definitely do a buffet it was good and ample food.

All input would be greatly appreciated.
Try Dominicos on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or