U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy an all electric car?
Yes, I'd love a LEAF 8 18.18%
Not yet 19 43.18%
I'd only consider a gas/electric hybrid 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,707,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Like Hydrogen how do you establish a safe chain of filling stations so a person can travel. Actually the all-electric car will have the same problem limiting it to a short hop car..
Many gas stations use natural gas to supply heat to their office and work areas, so it would not be all that expensive to put in the additional plumbing, etc. to make natural gas available to cars that come in for a natural gas fill up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,930,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Like Hydrogen how do you establish a safe chain of filling stations so a person can travel. Actually the all-electric car will have the same problem limiting it to a short hop car..
There already are CNG filling stations... there have always been, although they're few and far between. It's perfectly safe and it doesn't really need to be transported since a huge pipeline infrastructure already exists for heating and cooking. If you have gas in your home - you can buy a device that will fill your car's tank right off that. Most of the CNG powered vehicles available have dual tanks and can run on both natural gas and petroleum, so if a filling station isn't nearby you can just fill it up with regular unleaded.

CNG is by far the cleanest burning fuel and is ridiculously cheap compared to everything else. From what I've read, it seems like the only reason everyone in the world isn't using this is because the "powers that be" would prefer CNG power be limited to the highest polluting vehicles - buses, construction equipment, fleet vehicles, etc. - and after all, it is a non-renewable source of energy like gasoline... but there is still plenty of it out there. I don't really know what the deal is here.

If I found a CNG/gasoline vehicle I'd really like to try it out. I've researched it in the past, it seems really interesting. Average price of CNG in the country right now is $2.07/gallon and the MPG figures are identical or better than running on gasoline.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:58 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,017,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The voters selected the person they thought would make their life better, obviously it didn't work out that way. On the other hand I voted for McCain based on my belief that Obama was an empty suit that would do more harm than good. I wouldn't say most folks who voted for Obama were "just dumb" (to use your words) or irrational, but they bought a fairly unknown product based on a sales pitch (Hope and change).
And how is that any different than someone who buys a completely impractical gas guzzler because of a sales pitch?

Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,017,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
CNG is by far the cleanest burning fuel and is ridiculously cheap compared to everything else. From what I've read, it seems like the only reason everyone in the world isn't using this is because the "powers that be" would prefer CNG power be limited to the highest polluting vehicles - buses, construction equipment, fleet vehicles, etc. - and after all, it is a non-renewable source of energy like gasoline... but there is still plenty of it out there. I don't really know what the deal is here.
One of the major methods for extracting it here at home is hydraulic fracturing, a practice that many are against because of the risk of pollution to groundwater, massive trucking necessary for the wells, and possible earthquakes.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,851,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I guess that's the free market angle, but what if people aren't making good decisions and the subsidy can help encourage the right ones? What if the subsidy can help stimulate the economy?
Its not the governments job to say, provoke, or make someone buy something that are "good decisions". Subsequently it isn't the governments job to fix the problems of those who did not make a "good decision" (HELLO BUBBLE-BUYERS!).

As for stimulating the economy, that money is coming from somewhere and saving the buyer money and making the company money. How is that stimulating the 99.999999% of the rest of us who make a decision on what we can afford and works best, instead of yet another government handout. Lets face it, if electric were the greatest thing since sliced bread for commuter cars then it would have long since worked out. And if it was so absolutely great and makes your day so much more affordable then a subsidy wouldn't be needed.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 AM

11,902 posts, read 14,378,792 times
I attended a lecture (sales presentation) by Leviton on charging stations. They have a Leaf and report the range is substantially less in the winter. Also mentioned that public charging stations are necessary, 2/3 of cars are not garaged. You can call ahead to reserve one, if enough have been installed in your area, also I guess that saves you the cost of having one installed. I found it interesting that on Long Island 12% of power is generated from oil. Nationwide it's about 1%.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,435,977 times
I voted "Yes" but I don't plan to buy a LEAF.

My next car, which I'm going to get years and years from now, is going to be a Tesla Model S.

The LEAF tries to be competetive with other small hatches which already get great MPGs. This is a tough market to get into, like other posters have already pointed out. The Teslas on the otherhand competes with luxury sedans like the 5-Series, A6, and E-class which only get around 20mpg with less performance than the Model S.

We will always be a multi car household, so range will never a problem. We can just take the gas car on extended trips.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 AM

4,088 posts, read 7,177,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
And how is that any different than someone who buys a completely impractical gas guzzler because of a sales pitch?
Now you're learning, as it's not any different. But also understand that a "impractical gas guzzler" may be practical for someone, and it's only the buyer that can make that distinction.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,925,764 times
A completely electric car would not suit my needs at this time in my life. Both Friday and returning on Sunday, I drove 200 miles each way with 4 people, 1 large dog and several hundred pounds of equipment -- occasionally using the heat and defrost as well as engaging the 4WD. Between the limited range and minimal capacity, LEAF is impractical for me.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,960,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
It's more like a go-cart .
I tried one of the very first all-electrical cars years ago while visiting friends in Vermont and it really really lacked power - it was a hilly road and I was not sure if we were gonna make it.

It's currently overpriced for what it is. Just like with the solar panels, I like the idea but will wait until the technology matures and the price drops. I think is perfect for short commute and local shopping - definitely not for highway driving and not for a general purpose vehicle.
Good description. It says on the website the Leaf's top speed is 90 mph.

At what point does the ride get erratic and uncomfortable (as does if you "push it" and go very near the top speed of a gasoline-powered car)? Just when you're trying to pass someone at 65 mph?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or