Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy an all electric car?
Yes, I'd love a LEAF 8 18.18%
Not yet 19 43.18%
I'd only consider a gas/electric hybrid 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 PM

36 posts, read 94,357 times

Advertisements

Hey I just started working at a dealership that will soon be selling Nissan LEAFs. (honestly not trying to sell anything)

I was just curious how many folks on this forum would consider an ALL electric car like the LEAF. You need to buy a charging dock for the vehicle that costs about $2,200 installed at your house.

I have a feeling that LI being less effected by the recession than other parts of the country will have more LEAF adopters than other locales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 04:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJL View Post
Hey I just started working at a dealership that will soon be selling Nissan LEAFs. (honestly not trying to sell anything)

I was just curious how many folks on this forum would consider an ALL electric car like the LEAF. You need to buy a charging dock for the vehicle that costs about $2,200 installed at your house.

I have a feeling that LI being less effected by the recession than other parts of the country will have more LEAF adopters than other locales.
I have a feeling that LI being affected by having the HIGHEST electricity prices in the entire country may not have as many LEAF adopters than other locales.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM

160 posts, read 316,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJL View Post

I have a feeling that people from the county that probably leads the free world in Range Rover Sales would not be caught dead in a Leaf.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
Nice idea but given how much electricity is generated using coal in this country, it's not as "green" an alternative as people think. Buy one if your use pattern will net you a savings over the life of your ownership, and if you can tolerate the drawbacks.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I have a feeling that people from the county that probably leads the free world in Range Rover Sales would not be caught dead in a Leaf.
Yes, that would be an issue in some circles too.

Nassau has a Jaguar dealership that claims it leads the world in Jaguar sales on Northern Blvd. Do you really think Nassau has the market cornered on Range Rovers too?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM

22,664 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I have a feeling that LI being affected by having the HIGHEST electricity prices in the entire country may not have as many LEAF adopters than other locales.
LOL....really $2200 to install the docking station, plus the extra electric every month.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL....really $2200 to install the docking station, plus the extra electric every month.
I am sure if it became popular on LI, the DOLLAR SIGNS would light up at LIPA and they would figure out a whole new and sneaky way of "figuring" the rate on the docking station that will net them much more than our already highest in the nation household electricity rates. You think they'd let us get "away" with not paying a fortune for gasoline by using their electricity and actually saving anything? LI has been the home of the ripoff for too long.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,175 times
At first I would have said no way....not on LI with LIPA's silly "delivery charge"

But, quick and dirty math for JUST the electricity alone (and not the $2K charger)

This is from the Nissan website

Q: Since the Nissan LEAF™ solely runs on electricity, would charging from home dramatically increase my electricity bill?
A: Based on a US average of $0.11/kWh, a full charge will cost about $2.75. It could be even less, if your area has time-of-use rates and you charge at off-peak hours.

LIPA rates are about 0.21/kWh (almost double)...so over $5.50 per charge. I believe a charge gets you 100 miles?

So, if you commute 100 miles a day, you'd pay about $27-$28 a week. At 3.50 a gallon, thats the equivalent of 8 gallons per week.

Maybe it isn't so bad? I have a 45 mile round trip commute and fill up about every 10 days at about $60. Unless I screwed up the math, in my case the costs seem about equal.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yes, that would be an issue in some circles too.

Nassau has a Jaguar dealership that claims it leads the world in Jaguar sales on Northern Blvd. Do you really think Nassau has the market cornered on Range Rovers too?
Just a generalization of the "mine is bigger than yours" materialistic mentality.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
At first I would have said no way....not on LI with LIPA's silly "delivery charge"

But, quick and dirty math for JUST the electricity alone (and not the $2K charger)

This is from the Nissan website

Q: Since the Nissan LEAF™ solely runs on electricity, would charging from home dramatically increase my electricity bill?
A: Based on a US average of $0.11/kWh, a full charge will cost about $2.75. It could be even less, if your area has time-of-use rates and you charge at off-peak hours.

LIPA rates are about 0.21/kWh (almost double)...so over $5.50 per charge. I believe a charge gets you 100 miles?

So, if you commute 100 miles a day, you'd pay about $27-$28 a week. At 3.50 a gallon, thats the equivalent of 8 gallons per week.

Maybe it isn't so bad? I have a 45 mile round trip commute and fill up about every 10 days at about $60. Unless I screwed up the math, in my case the costs seem about equal.
When enough people start using these and they begin to further strain the infrastructure, the need for additional generation will be funded by the ratepayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island