U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 AM

25 posts, read 207,250 times

Advertisements

Greetings, does anyone know the best time to leave on Thanksgiving to avoid sitting in two hours of traffic while driving to Long Island? Same question, for driving back to NJ on Thanksgiving.

I'm not worried about the traffic in NJ, but the traffic after I get over the GW.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 06:13 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
Early morning is the best time. Builds up by noon as every heads over to grandmas house to fight with the relatives

Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 AM

160 posts, read 270,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNJ View Post
Greetings, does anyone know the best time to leave on Thanksgiving to avoid sitting in two hours of traffic while driving to Long Island? Same question, for driving back to NJ on Thanksgiving.

I'm not worried about the traffic in NJ, but the traffic after I get over the GW.

Thanks in advance!
I would leave early enough to hit the GWB no later (preferably earlier) than 6AM.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I would leave early enough to hit the GWB no later (preferably earlier) than 6AM.
Nah before 8am you should be fine (lower level on GWB). Going back I'd say after 8pm. But this year its hard to tell when to go home because of all the black friday sales starting Thursday night now. I think those will be isolated pockets of traffic though nothing too bad.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 AM

15,720 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Definitely leave as early as possible to get to LI.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM

160 posts, read 270,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Nah before 8am you should be fine (lower level on GWB). Going back I'd say after 8pm. But this year its hard to tell when to go home because of all the black friday sales starting Thursday night now. I think those will be isolated pockets of traffic though nothing too bad.
Still have to get through the Bronx, over the Throgs Neck/Whitestone, and out to LI. I'd leave earlier on Thanksgiving Day. As for going home, may as well spend the night.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 AM

4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
traffic on the Cross Bronx heading East usually opens up after Jerome.

As for what time to leave....you should be fine throughout most of the morning.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 AM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
NEVER comes to mind. Seriously, everyone is playing that same Beat the Traffic game, and given that most people are not serving a big meal at 11 a.m. as others have suggested the earlier the better. Now what do you do with yourself until your host/hostess is ready??? Go shopping there are stores open that day!!!! Thankfuly, P.C. Richards, Target and Tanger outlets are not among the stores who take people away from family on a holiday.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:48 AM

15,720 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Thankfuly, P.C. Richards, Target and Tanger outlets are not among the stores who take people away from family on a holiday.
Target is opening at 10 p.m. on Tgiving. If you have to get to work at 10 and work all night, you've got to sleep your Thanksgiving away. I think it's disgusting.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:35 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Target is opening at 10 p.m. on Tgiving. If you have to get to work at 10 and work all night, you've got to sleep your Thanksgiving away. I think it's disgusting.

I know they are opening early (late) but at least they are not opened during the day. All things being equal I wish none of them would be opened on any of the major holidays, but I am a realist. The ad that P.C. Richards places in the newspaper each year about wanting families to give thanks together as a reason for closing has brought some heated discussions in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island