Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times

Advertisements

Not a surprise, but interesting article:

Study: LIRR, MetroNorth 'Inefficient' (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/study-lirr-metronorth-inefficient-20110407-KC - broken link)

It costs $17 to transport only one passenger from Syosset to Penn Station on every run. The unions are killing the railroad. Why do we have ticket punchers from the 19th century staffing every car? They all are heavily unionized, their pensions are outrageous and there was that whole scandal where they were double dipping into the Federal Railroad Administration's disability fund at retirement. Shameful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
No need to worry, just raise rates / taxes / etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
When is the next fare increase? I can hardly wait.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
It kills me to write a quarterly MTA tax check for my business when none of us utilize it. I loathe being slammed with an MTA surcharge when I register my corporate, personal and recreational vehicles. I despise being gouged to cross a bridge or use a tunnel -- each of which look like maintenance was minimal for so long.

Two of my friends have now relocated to UT. It looks better and better.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM

840 posts, read 2,445,857 times
no surprise. I get on at new hyde park and it's awful. can't wait til i start taking the oyster bay line

Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
grant516

n/a posts
What's going on with the repeal of the payroll tax. Wasn't Cuomo on board with looking into that?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
From Newsday Mobile for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Here is the scariest part of that article to me:

Quote:
However, MTA officials emphasized that much of the LIRR's high operating costs can be attributed to "unfunded pension liabilities" the MTA inherited when it took over the 177-year-old railroad in 1965. The LIRR pays $106 million each year in pension costs out of its operating budget, and expects to have more retirees than active employees by the end of 2011, officials said.
This is sickening and a ridiculous way to run a so-called "business." If the MTA didn't have its hooks so deep into the taxpayers there would be no way this would be sustainable. But all they do is raise taxes, create new taxes that people who don't even use mass transit have to pay, and raise fares.

The public sector unions are eating us alive and becoming lifelong parasites. Exactly how much more do they expect to get out of us?

PS: I also think them blaming it on "unfunded pension liabilities from 1965" is completely bogus. Exactly how many retirees are still around that retired in 1965? A vampire or two? Even if we are counting retirees that were new hires in 1965 and are now retirees -- how many could actually be left?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-07-2011 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: pension liabilities from 1965?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,017 times
it's so funny that i watched a NAT GEO program on tree leave ants recently, the ants actually raid and abduct certain insects that can produce some sort of milk/honey that's food for the ants, but the most interesting part is the ants don't kill the insects, they actually protect them and feed them so the insects can continuously produce milk/honey

it seems the even the ants is smarter than the unions when it comes to "milking the system", i wish the union can watch the program and realize you can't just take, take, take without having a sustainable system

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times
I just don't understand why the LIRR can't be run like the BART system out in Bay Area. Automate the whole thing. You enter a station, a ticket pops out and you enter the turnstiles. To exit a station, you pop in your ticket, pay what you owe, and the turnstiles release you.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Not a surprise, but interesting article:

Study: LIRR, MetroNorth 'Inefficient' (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/study-lirr-metronorth-inefficient-20110407-KC - broken link)

It costs $17 to transport only one passenger from Syosset to Penn Station on every run. The unions are killing the railroad. Why do we have ticket punchers from the 19th century staffing every car? They all are heavily unionized, their pensions are outrageous and there was that whole scandal where they were double dipping into the Federal Railroad Administration's disability fund at retirement. Shameful!
Its not the Unions , its the backwards FRA rules and lack of upkeep on the Railroad thats leading to these issues. Its FRA rule that we have conductors for safety , which is a good thing because the LIRR and other railroads can be a bit wild overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island