U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 AM

16,935 posts, read 19,680,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You do realize that back in the 50's, 60's and 70's these 4WDs weren't called SUVs? Willys, Ford and Chevy all made 4WD vehicles, some more family oriented (Bronco and Suburbans)
They also used minivans and station wagons before the 90's.

My mom's 69 station wagon was 219.6" long -- almost 21" longer than my SUV (198.8 long)
The 1969 Ford LTD Country Squire; Family Was Key For This High End Station Wagon | JustOldCars.com The Magazine for Classic & Vintage Car Lovers (http://justoldcars.com/?p=1286 - broken link)

Makes my Tahoe look minuscule.
Now that's a station wagon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM

15,731 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Makes me wonder what people did before SUVs became popular in the 90's.

Ever hear of a station wagon? Like OBH our Chevy Bel Air was a tank - we put 5 kids and ALL my oldest sister's stuff for her first semester at college in it and still had room leftover.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,841,355 times
To Me a Plastic white fence is cheaper looking than metal.Plastic grows green mold and readily shows dirt.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM

160 posts, read 270,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
This morning I was driving to work and was stuck outside of a school because there were about 20 SUVs (not exaggerating) all trying to get into one lane of drop-off space... I don't see why kids can't sit in a sedan anymore these days. If I ever have a kid, they'd better like the backseat of my Nissan Versa because I REFUSE to buy a stupid SUV.
Aside from all the room you inevitably need for school age kids, the back seat of a Versa is not the safest place for your little ones to be when driving on LI roads. If you ever have a kid, I guarantee you will change your mindset.

Last edited by Gordon_Byrne; 11-22-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
To Me a Plastic white fence is cheaper looking than metal.Plastic grows green mold and readily shows dirt.
Good one. White plastic fencing doesn't blend in at all. I can appreciate people want to have a private feeling, but to me, a yard enclosed with white plastic fencing reminds me of being in Tupperware.

The section of yard I fenced off I used green coated chain link to help it blend in with all the shrubs and give the yard a more open feel.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 PM

160 posts, read 270,666 times
Quote:
Good one. White plastic fencing doesn't blend in at all. I can appreciate people want to have a private feeling, but to me, a yard enclosed with white plastic fencing reminds me of being in Tupperware.

The section of yard I fenced off I used green coated chain link to help it blend in with all the shrubs and give the yard a more open feel.
Those green fences are the best ones IMO..dthey seem more natural and don't take away from the country feel.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM

418 posts, read 913,361 times
Quote:
If you ever have a kid, you will find that packing up the baby and said baby gear gets a tad overwhelming.
If you ever have a kid, hopefully they won't become involved in sports that require you to lug gear.
If you ever have a kid, hopefully they will choose a small musical instrument which will fit in your vehicle.
Now add another kid or two to the mix.
You might not opt for an SUV, but you could very well end up with a minivan or crossover to carry little Petunia and Throckmorton as well as their things.
Yet, somehow, the rest of the world manages to raise (normal) kids without the SUV equivalent. Could be done.
I will duck now.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,519,383 times
It's the grey-colored chain-link fences that are bad. If it's green and it blends in then it isn't as bad since it doesn't stick out as much and look reminiscent of the fences in industrial areas and prisons like Hunts Point and Rikers Island.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
If you ever have a kid, you will find that packing up the baby and said baby gear gets a tad overwhelming.
If you ever have a kid, hopefully they won't become involved in sports that require you to lug gear.
If you ever have a kid, hopefully they will choose a small musical instrument which will fit in your vehicle.
Now add another kid or two to the mix.
You might not opt for an SUV, but you could very well end up with a minivan or crossover to carry little Petunia and Throckmorton as well as their things.
I love the names!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:00 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Makes me wonder what people did before SUVs became popular in the 90's.
Station wagons! Who remembers fighting with their siblings to "sit in the WAY back?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or