U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,948,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
they had station wagons or vans....or they tied stuff to the roof.

I'm not saying everyone needs to have an Expedition, but they can be very useful...especially when you have 3 or more kids.
Is it okay to tie a few of those to the roof if they get too rowdy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,909,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Yet, somehow, the rest of the world manages to raise (normal) kids without the SUV equivalent. Could be done.
I will duck now.
If I didn't need the 4WD on the Tahoe for out-of-state, I would probably have a station wagon. I wonder whether our foreign parental peers have their kids enrolled in as many after school sports/activities as we do?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM

721 posts, read 1,254,105 times
Why are there so many drop-offs anyway? Kids can't take the bus? My kids are little so is there something I am missing? Also kids who do take the bus must be picked up from the bus stop by someone in a vehicle and driven home?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM

160 posts, read 270,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Why are there so many drop-offs anyway? Kids can't take the bus? My kids are little so is there something I am missing?
There are distance requirements for bussing.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 PM

4,135 posts, read 6,711,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Yet, somehow, the rest of the world manages to raise (normal) kids without the SUV equivalent. Could be done.
I will duck now.
you can also raise your kids without indoor plumbing. But why make things harder on yourself if you don't have to?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I love the names!
LOL I figured they were the least offensive names I could choose!

Quote:
Station wagons! Who remembers fighting with their siblings to "sit in the WAY back?"
Constant battle. The rear seats of the Country Squire opened to face one another as opposed to facing out the back window. The inevitable kick fight over whose feet where in whose spot would ensue.

Bruised shins and good times!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you can also raise your kids without indoor plumbing. But why make things harder on yourself if you don't have to?
Indoor plumbing? What's next? Toilet paper?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM

1,350 posts, read 4,367,686 times
Having just had a kid I'd like to comment on the SUV etc comments. I'm shocked at the amount of space a kid seems to take up. Especially the car seats. Kids are no rear facing until their 2. we have a 2003 Honda accord, which really is a pretty large midsized car. the passanger feels like they're sitting on the dashboard with how far forward we have to put the seat.

you put a stroller and a few other things in the trunk and its completely full.

I always commented on people with 1 kid who feel like they need a mini-van, I now can see why.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,695,510 times
My husband's family had a 69 Olds vista cruiser and when he was a kid he used to sit way in the back on top of a spare tire because no one else wanted to. He said it felt great breathing in fumes. LOL

Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM

574 posts, read 966,357 times
In my neighborhood, and in my parents' neighborhood (and probably all over) there are groups who walk for exercise. We have sidewalks, but they walk in the street, and since there are usually at least 3 people, they end up taking up half of the street. But they get out of the way right? No, just keep walking, oblivious to traffic, so I end up crawling past them on the wrong side of the road, and somehow I end up getting looks from them.

People with dogs on a leash too, I just don't get why people seemingly refuse to walk on the sidewalk. When my family had a dog, I would walk him on the sidewalk, I just don't get it.

Another thing is those neighbors who put their garbage/recycling/etc out at like 9 AM the day before scheduled pickup. Not the worst thing in the world, but kind of annoys me. Then there were the neighbors who didn't realize there was no pickup on Veteran's Day, but rather than bring the garbage back up to the house at the point that even they must have realized, they just left it there until the next scheduled pickup. It wasn't so much the sight of the garbage that bothered me, it wasn't an eyesore or anything, it was just that the people couldn't be bothered to move it after it had become obvious it wasn't going to be picked up for 4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or