U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM

160 posts, read 153,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Hey Mike, don't get wrapped up with this guy. This is the reincarnation of Pequa Dude and several other personnas who surfaces periodically simply to argue with people and post off-the-wall nonsense. Not worth your time.
You'd think someone with his extensive police background would have figured that out on his own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:37 PM

1,149 posts, read 944,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Are you kidding me People switch plates from Pennsylvania to Florida while in N.Y. all the time To top that off speed away form the police and avoid being pulled over at all cost. Really this happens all the time.

Big difference putting on plates in your own driveway or in front of your own house I doubt you would start a high pursuit police chase if you were doing something legal.

FYI, You can't buy a car in NYS and drive with one or for that matter two plate from the previous owner until you register the car, that to is against the law. You must go to DMV and get a MV-639ITP or risk summonses,jail and impounding of said auto.

You know what the only fact you need to know here, the driver refused to pull over and it initiated a high speed pursuit. Innocent people usually don't do this and yes I know from experience not from CSI.

Do people post on these boards just to be heard So much misinformation is posted it's insane.
people do it all the time. they buy a car and use the owners plates to take the car home. nothing illegal about that. the car is still in the previous owners name so its not illegal. the paper work hasnt been handed in to dmv so there is nothing illegal. I got pulled over once many years ago after buying a car from my friend. I got pulled over because I put my own tags on and I was a block away from my friends house. I simply walked to his house and put his tags back on. no harm no foul. sure, I got a ticket but I went to court and explained the reasoning and it was thrown out.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,619,707 times
Just outta interest, how come there has been ZERO follow-up news on this incident? As far as I'm aware, the suspect is still at large (how can that even be possible - I would have thought both Nassau & Suffolk Police would have cornered the driver in minutes flat - how far could he have gotten before there were a ton of police on the scene?). Also, the officers name has not yet been released - nor do we know how severe her injuries are.

To be honest, I live around the area and had NO idea that there had been around 14 home robberies in the space of a month.

To give credit where it's due, the best coverage I've seen has been in the LI Press (see attached). Other media outlets are saying the police have not released a description of the suspects - but this article has that information:

Nassau Cop Hurt in Southern Parkway Crash | Long Island Press

Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
To be honest, I live around the area and had NO idea that there had been around 14 home robberies in the space of a month.
I have to agree with you there. I'm a little northwest of that area, but my area had about 7 a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if these are lumped in with those 14 or not...I wouldn't have known anything if not for a neighbor passing a note around the mailboxes. Turns out the house at the end of my block was robbed a couple of weeks ago, had I not got the note, I wouldn't have known jack. It just goes to show you what you can learn from a couple of vigilant neighbors. We all need to step up.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,419,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
people do it all the time. they buy a car and use the owners plates to take the car home. nothing illegal about that. the car is still in the previous owners name so its not illegal. the paper work hasnt been handed in to dmv so there is nothing illegal. I got pulled over once many years ago after buying a car from my friend. I got pulled over because I put my own tags on and I was a block away from my friends house. I simply walked to his house and put his tags back on. no harm no foul. sure, I got a ticket but I went to court and explained the reasoning and it was thrown out.
If I am ever selling a car and you are the buyer, plan on letting the car sit in my driveway until you get new plates, you are not taking my plates and joyriding. I will not be on the hook for parking tickets, or liable for accidents. I am sure Big Mike will back me up on this one. Once you pay me in cash, or if in a check it must clear, then and only then, I will sign the title over to you and note the mileage. You will obtain insurance and then take the signed title, the bill of sale and proof of insurance to DMV and register it after paying the sales tax and appropriate fees. I don't know who you bought that last car from but he was a few tools shy in the shed if he allowed you to drive off with his plates.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
So you buy a car in Pa, drive it to Massapequa, and put Florida plates on it. And no one should be suspicious?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM

226 posts, read 302,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
So you buy a car in Pa, drive it to Massapequa, and put Florida plates on it. And no one should be suspicious?
They didnt have a screwdriver in PA

Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If I am ever selling a car and you are the buyer, plan on letting the car sit in my driveway until you get new plates, you are not taking my plates and joyriding. I will not be on the hook for parking tickets, or liable for accidents. I am sure Big Mike will back me up on this one. Once you pay me in cash, or if in a check it must clear, then and only then, I will sign the title over to you and note the mileage. You will obtain insurance and then take the signed title, the bill of sale and proof of insurance to DMV and register it after paying the sales tax and appropriate fees. I don't know who you bought that last car from but he was a few tools shy in the shed if he allowed you to drive off with his plates.
that is YOU but if you were a friend and someone I trusted then I would allow you.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM

do you know how many people that live in new york and have thier cars registered and insured in other states? this person may have been doing the same thing. yes the driver may have gone about it the wrong way but like i said, switching plates is not illegal. were the plates registered? did the officer run the plates before pulling the driver over or did she just go with her gut instinct?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM

938 posts, read 968,429 times
Quote:
do you know how many people that live in new york and have thier cars registered and insured in other states? this person may have been doing the same thing. yes the driver may have gone about it the wrong way but like i said, switching plates is not illegal. were the plates registered? did the officer run the plates before pulling the driver over or did she just go with her gut instinct?
Not sure where you got your legal training, but switching plates is not legal. Period.

If you reside in New York state, it is also not legal to register your car in another state and keep it here. This is a common scam done to take advantage of lower insurance rates in other states.

And while we're at it, if you're a New York state resident, with a currently valid NYS driver's license, you are not permitted to have a currently valid driver's license from another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island