Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon0446 View Post
The cop didn't see them changing the plates somebody called the police and told them there was a suspicious car in the neighborhood and that they had changed plates. They were def doing something illegal but there was no reason to chase them the way the cop did. She put way too many ppl in danger chasing ppl for nothing other then changing license plates since that's all she had on the guys at that time. Then the police expect the public to believe that during the chase both cars were going 60 to 65mph. Are you kidding me at that time of day in that area the slow pokes are doing 65 or better.
I am sorry the officer got hurt in the chase, but I won't second-guess the decisions of the police. This also reminds me of a very famous case where the serial killer was brought to justice because he screwed up doing the very same thing: switching license plates. Joel Rifkin had 2 vans of identical make and model but they were both junky so when one was working and the other wasn't he would put the plates on the one that was working. One day he was transporting a body of a victim in one of his vans and he forgot to switch the plates to it. So a P.O. noticed this and pulled him over which ended his career as a serial killer at somewhere around 17 women killed. If not for the P.O. noticing there were no plates on the van and stopping him, who knows how many more women would have died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,430 times
wasn't the SON OF SAM caught because of a parking ticket ???? minor thing leads to a major bust !!!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM

29 posts, read 82,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I once pursued a car for a mixed match plate and it turned out that all three occupants were wanted for rape, robbery and homicide.

L.I. Eddie's response was typical for a 75yo retired machinist or sheet metal worker.

Typical posters here have no law enforcement background.

You guys have zero knowledge of the police procedures,penal laws,vtl's,LBB,etc. yet seem to have a say in everything.

It's easy to Monday morning QB's but a P.O. sometimes you have to make a split second decision and sometimes its a life threatening one. Even the simplest of routine runs, car stops, I D checks turn on you in an instant.

Most of these decision are made with tons of adrenaline and you do the best you can during those extreme circumstances.

" just a license plate switch" sounds so blase. You have no idea what could have been in that car or what does guys did prior or if they are wanted possibly for. Nothing is routine in Law Enforcement !!
You never know what can be in any car or what anybody is wanted for that means you go around chasing ppl and endangering ppl's lives for minor things. Even if these guys were the guys burglarizing the houses in that neighborhood to me it isn't worth taking the chance of killing an innocent bystander to catch them they stole crap they didn't beat up, rape, or kill anybody in the houses they robbed. The police seam to either do nothing or way too much to catch somebody. Most of the time if somebody robs stuff and you call the cops they don't do anything or make is seam like your wasting their time which is bad enough. But in my opinion it's better then chasing them and almost killing themselves and or innocent ppl on the crowded roads of Long Island.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
You never know what can be in any car or what anybody is wanted for that means you go around chasing ppl and endangering ppl's lives for minor things. Even if these guys were the guys burglarizing the houses in that neighborhood to me it isn't worth taking the chance of killing an innocent bystander to catch them they stole crap they didn't beat up, rape, or kill anybody in the houses they robbed. The police seam to either do nothing or way too much to catch somebody. Most of the time if somebody robs stuff and you call the cops they don't do anything or make is seam like your wasting their time which is bad enough. But in my opinion it's better then chasing them and almost killing themselves and or innocent ppl on the crowded roads of Long Island.
Of course when someone is caught 10 years down the road and it turns out the cops could have caught them at some point and a trail of bodies lie behind them, then the cops didn't do enough. If someone is switching license plates it is suspicious enough to assume that a much greater crime might be being committed as they are trying to disguise themselves.

Best wishes to the officer injured in this incident.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:02 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
I once pursued a car for a mixed match plate and it turned out that all three occupants were wanted for rape, robbery and homicide.

L.I. Eddie's response was typical for a 75yo retired machinist or sheet metal worker.

Typical posters here have no law enforcement background.

You guys have zero knowledge of the police procedures,penal laws,vtl's,LBB,etc. yet seem to have a say in everything.

It's easy to Monday morning QB's but a P.O. sometimes you have to make a split second decision and sometimes its a life threatening one. Even the simplest of routine runs, car stops, I D checks turn on you in an instant.

Most of these decision are made with tons of adrenaline and you do the best you can during those extreme circumstances.

" just a license plate switch" sounds so blase. You have no idea what could have been in that car or what does guys did prior or if they are wanted possibly for. Nothing is routine in Law Enforcement !!
Thanks, Mike. Couldn't have said it better myself. Every word and sentiment.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It sounds like they were in a stolen car. The officer saw 2 men changing license plates which is why she went to pull them over. Then there is also a chance that they also had drugs, illegal guns, a warrant on their name, etc.

the officer didnt see it: the person phoning it in saw it. Did the officer turn the lights on when she was tailing him? when he slammed on the breaks, she should have hit the culprit instead of trying to avoid hitting him, thus reducing the risk of hitting citizens.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,170 times
Quote:
The cop didn't see them changing the plates somebody called the police and told them there was a suspicious car in the neighborhood and that they had changed plates. They were def doing something illegal but there was no reason to chase them the way the cop did. She put way too many ppl in danger chasing ppl for nothing other then changing license plates since that's all she had on the guys at that time. Then the police expect the public to believe that during the chase both cars were going 60 to 65mph. Are you kidding me at that time of day in that area the slow pokes are doing 65 or better.

not for nothing but changing plates on a car is not illegal. I do it in my driveway all the time. sometimes cars sit dormant in driveways with old plates until new ones are attached. there could be a number of reasons why plates are being switched: previous tags were expired, car was just bought and previous owner allowed driver to use one plate until driver registered car, car was being registered from out of state. There are many factors.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
the officer didnt see it: the person phoning it in saw it. Did the officer turn the lights on when she was tailing him? when he slammed on the breaks, she should have hit the culprit instead of trying to avoid hitting him, thus reducing the risk of hitting citizens.
She hit a guardrail first, then bounced into traffic. Considering she was probably doing 60+MPH on a crowded road, there is little chance that someone else in the highway wasn't going to be affected by the accident.

This is a case where the police are damned if they do or damned if they don't. I can't fault her.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
not for nothing but changing plates on a car is not illegal. I do it in my driveway all the time. sometimes cars sit dormant in driveways with old plates until new ones are attached. there could be a number of reasons why plates are being switched: previous tags were expired, car was just bought and previous owner allowed driver to use one plate until driver registered car, car was being registered from out of state. There are many factors.

Are you kidding me People switch plates from Pennsylvania to Florida while in N.Y. all the time To top that off speed away form the police and avoid being pulled over at all cost. Really this happens all the time.

Big difference putting on plates in your own driveway or in front of your own house I doubt you would start a high pursuit police chase if you were doing something legal.

FYI, You can't buy a car in NYS and drive with one or for that matter two plate from the previous owner until you register the car, that to is against the law. You must go to DMV and get a MV-639ITP or risk summonses,jail and impounding of said auto.

You know what the only fact you need to know here, the driver refused to pull over and it initiated a high speed pursuit. Innocent people usually don't do this and yes I know from experience not from CSI.

Do people post on these boards just to be heard So much misinformation is posted it's insane.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me People switch plates from Pennsylvania to Florida while in N.Y. all the time To top that off speed away form the police and avoid being pulled over at all cost. Really this happens all the time.

Big difference putting on plates in your own driveway or in front of your own house I doubt you would start a high pursuit police chase if you were doing something legal.

FYI, You can't buy a car in NYS and drive with one or for that matter two plate from the previous owner until you register the car, that to is against the law. You must go to DMV and get a MV-639ITP or risk summonses,jail and impounding of said auto.

You know what the only fact you need to know here, the driver refused to pull over and it initiated a high speed pursuit. Innocent people usually don't do this and yes I know from experience not from CSI.

Do people post on these boards just to be heard So much misinformation is posted it's insane.
Hey Mike, don't get wrapped up with this guy. This is the reincarnation of Pequa Dude and several other personnas who surfaces periodically simply to argue with people and post off-the-wall nonsense. Not worth your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island