Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

39 posts, read 123,712 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are most probably if all goes well be moving to Levittown. We have a 3 year old and 6 month twins. For the time being My wife will be driving to my mother in laws house in Queens on way to work to drop off the kids and my oldest to Pre school. However we are looking for ideas/options on how to make the transition to moving our kids to Schools in Levittown and our commute into the city.

I have to be at work By 8am and my wife by around the same time. Anyone in a similar situation can offer some ideas on how we might be able to get our kids safely to school and still make it to work? Are there really early drop offs for the public schools in the area or services we might be able to take advantage of. I really don't want to have my children leave home on their own until they are ready. Would prefer being able to drop them off or have someone else drop them off to school if possible.

We will be in the Island Trees district.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM

225 posts, read 715,631 times
I'd make friends with the other parents and see if you can carpool.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Check to see if the school district offers an early morning program.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 AM

160 posts, read 316,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1poet View Post
Wife and I are most probably if all goes well be moving to Levittown. We have a 3 year old and 6 month twins. For the time being My wife will be driving to my mother in laws house in Queens on way to work to drop off the kids and my oldest to Pre school. However we are looking for ideas/options on how to make the transition to moving our kids to Schools in Levittown and our commute into the city.

I have to be at work By 8am and my wife by around the same time. Anyone in a similar situation can offer some ideas on how we might be able to get our kids safely to school and still make it to work? Are there really early drop offs for the public schools in the area or services we might be able to take advantage of. I really don't want to have my children leave home on their own until they are ready. Would prefer being able to drop them off or have someone else drop them off to school if possible.

We will be in the Island Trees district.

Thoughts?
Call the district, if they offer before and after care, you should be fine. Most do, and I think Island Trees uses SCOPE...not sure though, call the district. You can generally drop your kids off by 7AM at the school, they handle getting him/her to class, and they pick him up afterward and get him to aftercare, where they help with homework, have arts & crafts, play time with classmates/friends, etc, and you can pick up by 6PM. It costs us 365.00 a month (for 10 months). Well worth it. And it's eligable for FLEX if you have it.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:07 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Call the district, if they offer before and after care, you should be fine. Most do, and I think Island Trees uses SCOPE...not sure though, call the district. You can generally drop your kids off by 7AM at the school, they handle getting him/her to class, and they pick him up afterward and get him to aftercare, where they help with homework, have arts & crafts, play time with classmates/friends, etc, and you can pick up by 6PM. It costs us 365.00 a month (for 10 months). Well worth it. And it's eligable for FLEX if you have it.
In every district there is usually some service provided for before and after care. A lot of families have 2 parents working. Sometimes it's run on school property, other times off site. My sons school has scope but a few kids he's friend with get bussed elsewhere for afterschool. I'm more comfortable having him stay in one place, even if he complains that the old ladies there are grouchy. It's only a couple of hours a week, toughen up.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM

160 posts, read 316,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
In every district there is usually some service provided for before and after care. A lot of families have 2 parents working. Sometimes it's run on school property, other times off site. My sons school has scope but a few kids he's friend with get bussed elsewhere for afterschool. I'm more comfortable having him stay in one place, even if he complains that the old ladies there are grouchy. It's only a couple of hours a week, toughen up.
My district doesn't have Scope, they have a nice preschool located within the middle school. We do before care at his school, and he's bussed to the preschool afterward. It was our choice but we took the pre-school because there's more for him to do there. It's a great service. Alas, with a 7+K tax bill, it should be free.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM

39 posts, read 123,712 times
I'm sorry but what is Scope?

Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,045 times
Ymca

Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
I have a 2 year old and 5 month old. I live in Levittown in the Island Trees S.D. I use a licensed daycare facility. I am interested if anyone knows the answer for options when my oldest is school age and out of daycare.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
My district doesn't have Scope, they have a nice preschool located within the middle school. We do before care at his school, and he's bussed to the preschool afterward. It was our choice but we took the pre-school because there's more for him to do there. It's a great service. Alas, with a 7+K tax bill, it should be free.

Free at 7K? I'm seeing mid century high ranches all over the place where I'm looking that have 11K in taxes. You're getting a bargain by LI standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island