U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 PM

40 posts, read 64,710 times

Advertisements

Opening soon 180 W old country road in hicksville! Next to advance auto parts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 2,245,521 times
I believe it is going to be in the new Gallery shopping center (not built yet). For the record, Sonic is garbage. If you're impressed by a hot dog called a "coney" then bully for you. The frosty drinks aren't bad. Shake Shack is swell for the NY burger deprived (excellent cuts of meat from a specialty house that supplies Danny Meyer's higher end restaurants), but almost any roadside dive in Texas has better (and bigger) burgers. We just love trendy hype (and long long long lines) around here. A "roadside" joint with no cars, long lines and overpriced food. Should be PERFECT for Long Island!!

BTW, Bobby Flay is opening another of his burger places in Roosevelt Field.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 AM

3,227 posts, read 3,800,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I believe it is going to be in the new Gallery shopping center (not built yet). For the record, Sonic is garbage. If you're impressed by a hot dog called a "coney" then bully for you. The frosty drinks aren't bad. Shake Shack is swell for the NY burger deprived (excellent cuts of meat from a specialty house that supplies Danny Meyer's higher end restaurants), but almost any roadside dive in Texas has better (and bigger) burgers. We just love trendy hype (and long long long lines) around here. A "roadside" joint with no cars, long lines and overpriced food. Should be PERFECT for Long Island!!

BTW, Bobby Flay is opening another of his burger places in Roosevelt Field.
yup, it's been "hype" that's been making people stand on line every day for an hour or more for the last 7 years....

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
yup, it's been "hype" that's been making people stand on line every day for an hour or more for the last 7 years....
People standing on long lines for over-hyped, over-priced stuff is nothing new in New York. It may or may not have any direct bearing on quality. Check the forums. For the many who swear by Meyer's magic burgers, there are plenty who came back to earth disappointed. I never said they weren't good burgers. I find them not nearly good enough to stand on line for an hour (on a lucky day). It's also a tourist trap so there is a good portion of your wait. The curiousity factor and free press that comes with a name chef doling out "fast" food.

There's one born every minute. In Manhattan, there are 2 and 1 from out of town!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
People standing on long lines for over-hyped, over-priced stuff is nothing new in New York.
of course the prices at Shake Shack aren't all that overpriced...especially for Manhattan...but why let that get in the way of a good rant?

Quote:
It may or may not have any direct bearing on quality. Check the forums. For the many who swear by Meyer's magic burgers, there are plenty who came back to earth disappointed.
you mean not everyone likes them? Stop the presses! I was unaware that it was possible for people to have different likes and dislikes. Where did you get his information?

Quote:
I never said they weren't good burgers. I find them not nearly good enough to stand on line for an hour (on a lucky day). It's also a tourist trap so there is a good portion of your wait. The curiousity factor and free press that comes with a name chef doling out "fast" food.
hype only gets people in the door one time...especially in Manhattan where the failure rate for restuarants is extremely high. If it wasn't good, it wouldn't have been in business this long...and he wouldn't be expanding.

I get it...everything here sucks and everything in Texas or wherever you'd rather be living is better.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
of course the prices at Shake Shack aren't all that overpriced...especially for Manhattan...but why let that get in the way of a good rant?

you mean not everyone likes them? Stop the presses! I was unaware that it was possible for people to have different likes and dislikes. Where did you get his information?

hype only gets people in the door one time...especially in Manhattan where the failure rate for restuarants is extremely high. If it wasn't good, it wouldn't have been in business this long...and he wouldn't be expanding.

I get it...everything here sucks and everything in Texas or wherever you'd rather be living is better.
Wow, my rant didn't pack half the vitriol and sarcasm as yours, but anyway.
If you think Shake Shack has an awesome burger, fair prices, a reasonable wait and survives on it's burger merit alone, best to you. Sincerely.
I don't. I think it's another over-hyped, trendy, food networked tourist trap that sucks in the rubes and easily impressed. For all it's "world class city" status, Manhattan is a notriously tough place to get a good, reasonably priced lunch, thus the proliferance of "Halal" trucks on every corner. Too bad most working stiffs cannot afford an hour line to get lunch. Tourists can. Ripley's Believe it or Not in Times Square has a line too, must be awesome.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 2,531,239 times
I went to the shack in D.C. burger was good, family of 5 all doubles,shakes and fries ran like 70 bucks.

I'm going back up just with my sons in two weeks for the Jets- Skin game (someone is going to have to win,lol) I ask the kids where they would like to go eat after the game and they both said Shake Shack so I guess they liked it.

Personally I rather go back to 2 amys pizza but majority rules.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Wow, my rant didn't pack half the vitriol and sarcasm as yours, but anyway.
If you think Shake Shack has an awesome burger, fair prices, a reasonable wait and survives on it's burger merit alone, best to you. Sincerely.
I don't. I think it's another over-hyped, trendy, food networked tourist trap that sucks in the rubes and easily impressed. For all it's "world class city" status, Manhattan is a notriously tough place to get a good, reasonably priced lunch, thus the proliferance of "Halal" trucks on every corner. Too bad most working stiffs cannot afford an hour line to get lunch. Tourists can. Ripley's Believe it or Not in Times Square has a line too, must be awesome.
Not sure about the other locations the line at the Madison Square Park location is full of "working stiffs" on their lunch break. Maybe you get more tourists in that part of the city these days due to Eataly but I worked there for years and I never considered it a haven for tourists. I have to question how many times you've actually been there if you think it's some big tourist trap.

And I love the little "jab" at Manhattan...as if pointing out how things can be expensive there is some great revelation.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Not sure about the other locations the line at the Madison Square Park location is full of "working stiffs" on their lunch break. Maybe you get more tourists in that part of the city these days due to Eataly but I worked there for years and I never considered it a haven for tourists. I have to question how many times you've actually been there if you think it's some big tourist trap.

And I love the little "jab" at Manhattan...as if pointing out how things can be expensive there is some great revelation.
I worked in Manhattan. I've eaten there 4 times. I like it, but it's just a fancy five guys with better meat. We almost NEVER had time for work lunch there unless someone picked it up for a group. There are tourists all over the city and it IS a destination. Whenever we have friends in town and we go to the city they want to check it out. We take them, they are aghast at the line and we ultimately say "damn good burger but it's alot of hassle." Which "jab" at Manhattan? That Times Square has become a Disneyfied joke? C'mon. Then again, we are talking about Manhattan where there is some good stuff (I play gigs there, not LI), my hatred remains for Long Island...Shake Shake, Sonic or Checker's arrival notwithstanding.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 PM

322 posts, read 448,102 times
It's funny how before the recession everyone was into low carb, low fat, low cholesterol, lean protein diets.
Now there's how many different burger joints opening on the island? I guess people are thinking "well, I'm not going to be able to afford old age, so I might as well go out fat, greasy, and happy!"
Don't get me wrong, I love a good burger but there aren't any healthier chain/non-chain eateries that could open on LI like Chik-Fil-A?
On a side note I am hoping Cracker Barrel does come to LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island