Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

Advertisements

Not for nothing, but I've seen the regulars that "know the system" post inaccuracies in the past. I remember one interesting thread with the whole 'right-to-work' issue where I_Love_Li and sean sean sean sean came into that thread and provided the accurate, well-researched information on the topic (thread got locked of course). No one's perfect, everyone messes up sometimes, but let's not condescend others just because they are not on the teet.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Not for nothing, but I've seen the regulars that "know the system" post inaccuracies in the past. I remember one interesting thread with the whole 'right-to-work' issue where I_Love_Li and sean sean sean sean came into that thread and provided the accurate, well-researched information on the topic (thread got locked of course). No one's perfect, everyone messes up sometimes, but let's not condescend others just because they are not on the teet.

Wow, in one sentence you ask people not to be condescending while at the same time disparaging them for being "on the teat".

Last edited by nassau2suffolk; 11-23-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They are not wrong on this one.

Funny the usual suspects are the only ones around here who are desperately trying to make the rest of us believe so. Why is supporting a lie so important to some people?
And this from an "armchair expert" who spends all day, every day posting nonstop in these forums and quoting Newsday articles as if they were gospel. How about doing a little real research for a change?

However, it is very entertaining to watch you make a fool of yourself day after day after day.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Never mind that the very concept of being "on the teat" is debatable and shows bias on the part of those using the term: How about we condescend to others who keep spelling "teat" wrong?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
The whole thing is a tragedy from every angle, and it goes to show how people who have everything going for them can snap.

Yes, she was a good CO. That does not mean she had "rapport" with inmates. It means she did her job well, but I wouldn't expect you to know what that means, as you have never demonstrated any knowledge of how anyone in law enforcement works, what their jobs entail, what is expected of them, what they deal with, and how they interact with each other. Being a "good CO" means doing your job, preventing violence to the best of your ability, being there for your colleagues when they need back-up, handling altercations and fights that do break out with a cool head, and so on.

As for "rapport" with inmates, if you read the article, you would know that she will have to be in protective custody. There is no "rapport" between COs and inmates. There is professionalism, and treating people who are civil with the same civility, but that is not "rapport."

I expected this kind of thread from you, complete with juvenile attempts to insult those who do jobs you couldn't do if your life depended on it, and you did not disappoint. Once again, you have shown how little you know about the civil service and law enforcement in particular, and how quick you are to display it.
That is a real joke. Oh yeah, I know so little and you know so much. How about I have no bias to try and hide the truth because I am afraid that the rotten system will be changed and someone I'm not even related to might have a pension at risk? Let's be real for once. Save it for someone else. How can anyone defend the performance of this jail?

Here's just a tiny sample (two sentences or less from each, all articles available to everyone) of the professionalism and civility of the jail guards at Nassau County Correctional Facility, probably the worst jail in NYS and possibly one of the worst in the entire country.

And nobody better try and tell me it's because of "bad management" either. Do you think anyone who is a "star" in the corrections management field would want to take over that place when they know they cannot get rid of all the pension-waiters, duds, and downright vicious jail guards because they're in a union? How can you improve the place if you cannot get rid of the bad staff? Even Sheriff Joe Arpaio couldn't turn this place around if his hands are tied behind his back when it comes to firing bad employees, rewarding good employees with higher raises, etc. No way because no matter what a slacker you are, or even if you are downright dangerous, you will get the same raise as the guy who does an excellent job as per union rules. There's no incentive to be any good.

State Angry Over Nassau County Jail Violations
State Angry Over Nassau County Jail Violations - East Meadow, NY Patch

Quote:
State correction officials are upset that the East Meadow jail has failed to address several “deplorable” conditions affecting inmate facilities and scolded Nassau County jail officials in a scathing letter on Wednesday.

Until the violations are fixed, the state has denied the Nassau County Correctional Facility’s request to rent more than 500 empty jail cells to house Suffolk County prisoners.
Group Files Lawsuit Against Nassau County Jail
Group Files Lawsuit Against Nassau County Jail - East Meadow, NY Patch

Quote:
The Nassau County Correctional Facility in East Meadow is under the gun once again – this time from the New York Civil Liberties Union for allegedly refusing to release information on the medical and mental health care of inmates.

The group filed a lawsuit in state Supreme Court on Apr. 29 after the jail allegedly did not fully comply with a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request last fall to reveal its policies and procedures pertaining to the health care of prisoners.
State: Nassau hasn't fixed jail problems
Search Result item

Quote:
ALBANY -- Despite years of warnings, Nassau jail officials have failed to fix unlawful conditions, including filthy showers and the overuse of solitary confinement, the state's jail overseer said.

These violations and others are prompting the state to threaten to issue the jail a rare, final warning to clean up conditions or face a lawsuit to force compliance with state standards
Judge rules inmate 'bitten on penis by rodent' may sue
BBC News - Judge rules inmate 'bitten on penis by rodent' may sue

Quote:
A New York man who says a rat bit his penis during a jail stay may sue county officials, a judge has ruled.

Peter Solomon, who said he later had to endure a course of rabies jabs, says jailers knew the ward in which they placed him was infested with rodents.
Nassau County D.A. Wants Review Of Inmate Suicides
Nassau County D.A. Wants Review Of Inmate Suicides « CBS New York

Quote:
MINEOLA, NY (AP) - The district attorney wants a review of conditions at Long Island’s Nassau County Jail after four inmate suicides in a year.

State records show four Nassau inmates killed themselves by hanging in the last 12 months.
Nassau County Jail Inmate Commits Suicide
Nassau County Jail Inmate Commits Suicide | Long Island Press

Quote:
A Nassau County jail inmate committed suicide last week—a year to the day after the first of four similar incidents in the past 12 months.
Now who can honestly say with a straight face that this is "professionalism" and "civility" on the part of the people working at NCCF? Please ... spare us the nonsense for once. Newsflash: we are not all stupid and blind here and for any of you who think we are, holding your hands over your ears and shouting "LA LA LA ... NCCF is GREAT! YOU KNOW NOTHING!" just doesn't work as well as it did for you in kindergarten. Sorry.

These stories are only from this year ... I don't have the time nor enough characters available in a single post to go back further ... this is from different news sources as far away as Europe ... and I have not even put up all the links I found.

I have also not even delved back into the decades upon decades long history of NCCF that includes guards beating inmates to death. It's been the shame of the corrections industry for a very long time. And the taxpayers are paying high taxes and paying for all the lawsuits for this shameful performance for what? Because there's a public sector union in there protecting all the bad employees who cause the trouble.

Yeah, sure, I don't know anything. I know shameful, terrible job performance when I see it, that's for sure. As a taxpayer who does not aspire to work in the corrections industry, that's all I need to know.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Wow, in one sentence you ask people not to be condescending while at the same time disparaging them for being "on the teet".
I'm not disparaging anyone. If you follow these type of threads, it seems like the only people that are allowed to comment on anything 'union/civil service/public service related', are people that have worked in the system. Sorry if you don't like my choice of words. It was an observation and I've seen both sides be wrong (including myself), but only one side acts condescending (so I guess we're even).

Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
And this from an "armchair expert" who spends all day, every day posting nonstop in these forums and quoting Newsday articles as if they were gospel. How about doing a little real research for a change?

However, it is very entertaining to watch you make a fool of yourself day after day after day.
No, darling, I take weekends and holidays off and I don't post in the middle of the night unlike some of your pals. I have a husband and a life.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
That is a real joke. Oh yeah, I know so little and you know so much. How about I have no bias to try and hide the truth because I am afraid that the rotten system will be changed and someone I'm not even related to might have a pension at risk? Let's be real for once. Save it for someone else. How can anyone defend the performance of this jail?
Your thread is about a CO who snapped and killed a few people. I would hardly take that as an indictment of the system.

And yes, I do know more about this case than you do. As I understand it, she's a perfect example of how someone who does everything right, has a great record, and has everything going for her can snap.

We all have our limits. With the way you've just wasted precious moments of your life going off half-cocked and hijacking your own thread, I'd say that in terms of City Data, you've reached yours.

No one in the system you rant so ignorantly about really cares what you think, LI. Seriously. You're not that credible with respect to this stuff.

But by all means, as I've said in other threads, please feel free to waste your time. It's your lunch hour, your company's resources, and your life to sit there and pish away.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
No, darling, I take weekends and holidays off and I don't post in the middle of the night unlike some of your pals. I have a husband and a life.

This coming from someone with close to 10,000 posts

Some people post at night because with a 'real family' that's the only time they have for themselves. That and coming back from a bar with friends or a night out, could be another reason...just sayin

"weekends and holidays off". That just means the majority of your posts are during company time.....way to go

Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Your thread is about a CO who snapped and killed a few people. I would hardly take that as an indictment of the system.

And yes, I do know more about this case than you do. As I understand it, she's a perfect example of how someone who does everything right, has a great record, and has everything going for her can snap.

We all have our limits. With the way you've just wasted precious moments of your life going off half-cocked and hijacking your own thread, I'd say that in terms of City Data, you've reached yours.

No one in the system you rant so ignorantly about really cares what you think, LI. Seriously. You're not that credible with respect to this stuff.

But by all means, as I've said in other threads, please feel free to waste your time. It's your lunch hour, your company's resources, and your life to sit there and pish away.
Weak. Weak. Weak.

You were the one who wrote, "Being a "good CO" means doing your job, preventing violence to the best of your ability, being there for your colleagues when they need back-up, handling altercations and fights that do break out with a cool head, and so on.

As for "rapport" with inmates, if you read the article, you would know that she will have to be in protective custody. There is no "rapport" between COs and inmates. There is professionalism, and treating people who are civil with the same civility, but that is not "rapport."

LOL. You brought it up and I answered it.

NCCF is a hellhole and anyone who works there is a sad drudge waiting for a pension or a sadistic monster hiding behind the union protections. I'm surprised more haven't "snapped" on the outside but I guess they get their fill of sadism and violence on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island