U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
This coming from someone with close to 10,000 posts

Some people post at night because with a 'real family' that's the only time they have for themselves. That and coming back from a bar with friends or a night out, could be another reason...just sayin
Is that like "drunk dialing?" Drunk posting?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM

160 posts, read 270,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Because from where I sit, I see a lot of people with nothing better to do with their time than try to make digs at others.
Irony?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:54 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,841,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Irony?

Reading comprehension?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM

160 posts, read 270,603 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension?
Apparently not. Glad you got that!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Gordon, once you've been around here longer, you will see that those are the "all purpose insults" flung when you're right and they cannot disprove your truth. Once they start that stuff, you know it's a sign of miserable defeat on their part.

Complain all you want. Unless you move away or stop paying your taxes, we know who's getting the last laugh.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,323,267 times
Oh the humanity

Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
The subject of this thread is a CO who snapped and killed people. You choose to natter on about "the system," the people who work at the jail, and in general seem to want to parlay this tragedy--and it is a tragedy--into a full on indictment of the jail. That is your prerogative, but perhaps we should all look at you as representative of your occupation: By your rationale, not only should you be fired for being a CRAP employee, as evidenced by your wasting company time posting on message boards, but your whole company should be leveled because it's obvious you are not being managed appropriately. However, I realize you are one of a kind, and while your immediate supervisor may not be aware of the inordinate amount of company time that you waste on the Internet, that doesn't mean your whole company should be leveled.

I understand that looking at people as individuals who are responsible for their own behavior takes effort and intelligence, though, and that it's easier and requires less thought to simply paint with a broad brush. We all work with what we have, don't we?
See what I mean, Gordon? Once they have been defeated fair and square, have already dispensed with commenting on "how many" or "how few" posts you have, have already dispensed with commenting on "when" you post, they then become your pseudo-cybersupervisor, berating you for wasting company time ... all while they have no idea how important you are to your company ... so important and valuable that the company does not care if you use the internet because you are the one that always comes through for the company when nobody else can and you are the one that is a fixer, who handles the tricky jobs and clients. I can do what I want when I'm in the bullpen. I think someone who "has their own business" doesn't have much of one if they can spend all their time "nattering" on here (weekdays, weekends, holidays, late nights, etc.), but that's none of my business, is it, to worry about what they do with their time?

But I digress, let's get back to the original topic (although some here are much more interested in making sad little attempts at digs at others): the NCCF jail guard who murdered and kidnapped.

My digressor does not think the NUMEROUS and REPEATED reports of incompetence and abuse at NCCF warrant any mention, but rather asserts that NCCF's jail guards "do their jobs, prevent violence, are there for their colleagues when they need backup, handle altercations and fights with a cool head and act with professionalism and civility." Let's see ...

One of the original articles posted totally and completely belies that, at least when it comes to the treatment of Kim Wolfe ("Exhibit A"):

Quote:
One co-worker said Wolfe "had been subjected to some harassment on the job because she was openly gay."

Read more: Lover rampage - NYPOST.com
So if that's how they watch the back of their colleagues (according to a self-professed PC liberal, no less), how do they treat the prisoners?

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-23-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
See what I mean, Gordon? Once they have been defeated fair and square, have already dispensed with commenting on "how many" or "how few" posts you have, have already dispensed with commenting on "when" you post, they then become your pseudo-cybersupervisor, berating you for wasting company time ... all while they have no idea how important you are to your company ... so important and valuable that the company does not care if you use the internet because you are the one that always comes through for the company when nobody else can and you are the one that is a fixer, who handles the tricky jobs and clients.

But I digress, let's get back to the original topic (although some here are much more interested in making sad little attempts at digs at others): the NCCF jail guard who murdered and kidnapped.

My digressor does not think the NUMEROUS and REPEATED reports of incompetence and abuse at NCCF warrant any mention, but rather asserts that NCCF's jail guards "do their jobs, prevent violence, are there for their colleagues when they need backup, handle altercations and fights with a cool head and act with professionalism and civility." Let's see ...

One of the original articles posted totally and completely belies that, at least when it comes to the treatment of Kim Wolfe ("Exhibit A"):

So if that's how they watch the back of their colleagues (according to a PC liberal, no less), how do they treat the prisoners?
"Digressor?" Making up words now, eh?

Also, how about you quote my original post instead of taking sentences out of context? Highlighted text in bold:

Quote:
The whole thing is a tragedy from every angle, and it goes to show how people who have everything going for them can snap.

Yes, she was a good CO. That does not mean she had "rapport" with inmates. It means she did her job well, but I wouldn't expect you to know what that means, as you have never demonstrated any knowledge of how anyone in law enforcement works, what their jobs entail, what is expected of them, what they deal with, and how they interact with each other. Being a "good CO" means doing your job, preventing violence to the best of your ability, being there for your colleagues when they need back-up, handling altercations and fights that do break out with a cool head, and so on.

As for "rapport" with inmates, if you read the article, you would know that she will have to be in protective custody. There is no "rapport" between COs and inmates. There is professionalism, and treating people who are civil with the same civility, but that is not "rapport."

I expected this kind of thread from you, complete with juvenile attempts to insult those who do jobs you couldn't do if your life depended on it, and you did not disappoint. Once again, you have shown how little you know about the civil service and law enforcement in particular, and how quick you are to display it.
Again, this thread is about one CO. As I understand it, she was a good one who flipped out.

That is not the same as saying all COs are good at what they do, or that all COs are saints.

Why you don't seem to understand that, or understand the context of my posts, is beyond me. Suffice it to say that unlike you, I do not generalize entire occupations. There are good and bad in every field. One person does not represent an entire profession.

Oh, and people who are valuable to their workplace are generally busy.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
"Digressor?" Making up words now, eh?

Also, how about you quote my original post instead of taking sentences out of context? Highlighted text in bold:

Again, this thread is about one CO. As I understand it, she was a good one who flipped out.

That is not the same as saying all COs are good at what they do, or that all COs are saints.

Why you don't seem to understand that, or understand the context of my posts, is beyond me. Suffice it to say that unlike you, I do not generalize entire occupations. There are good and bad in every field. What one person does does not represent an entire occupation.

Oh, and people who are valuable to their workplace are generally busy.
What you don't seem to understand is that I am not generalizing an entire industry ... corrections. I am discussing ONE jail: NCCF. Have I ever posted anything negative about Suffolk County's corrections, for example? Or any other in the state, the country, or internationally? No. NCCF is a disgrace. Oh, and people who supposedly have their own business are not making any money if they're nattering on here.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
What you don't seem to understand is that I am not generalizing an entire industry ... corrections. I am discussing ONE jail: NCCF. Have I ever posted anything negative about Suffolk County's corrections, for example? Or any other in the state, the country, or internationally? No. NCCF is a disgrace. Oh, and people who supposedly have their own business are not making any money if they're nattering on here.
You are generalizing the actions of one CO to the entire jail.

And I am telling you that is a garbage way of thinking.

Not sure how much clearer I can be about this.

Also, it is not NCCF. It is [URL="http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Sheriff/correct_ctr.html"]NCCC--Nassau County Correctional Center[/URL]. If you are going to rant, you can at least get the name of the place right.

Maybe this is why you believe Newsday so much, and quote the NY Post as a credible source. You can't even get your own basics down, so you wouldn't notice bad reporting when you saw it.

Oh, and people who have their own businesses don't have to work according to someone else's schedule. If you make enough money in 20 hours, you don't have to be a wage slave for 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or