U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 17,195 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Wow! Clamboy, you actually put North Babylon on your list. I of course agree.

Your list is good, but I would just add in any area where there are homes below the median value or market value and taxes are reasonable for Nassau and Suffolk.

I personally think some of the best buys are in the Babylon Township. Why? Since Steve Bellone, a Democrat, came into office we have seen steady improvements in our parks, roads and other town facilities. The area offers tremendous amount of affordable housing for working class and middle class families. And yet, the property taxes are reasonable.

Believe it or not, even Wyandanch is improving. There are many new homes going up there. They are being bought by recent hispanic immigrants, from what I can tell, they are not the ghetto type. There you could buy a brand new home for under $300,000 and still afford to send your kids to Catholic school which some of those people are doing.
I think North Babylon is a good working class town.

Take good care of it.
You got a lot to gain/lose

C
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
7,837 posts, read 11,728,228 times
Reputation: 16447
South Manor is Manorville and part of Eastport. Not the best district, really.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 17,195 times
Reputation: 72
Longwood is underrated.

I think part of Shirley goes there.

Thats what I was referring to.

C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 13,094,208 times
Reputation: 4445
East Islip has some flaws IMO..it really doesn't have a nice main street compared to somewhere like Babylon. Even Islip has a better Main Street (more interesting stores/whatever).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 17,195 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
East Islip has some flaws IMO..it really doesn't have a nice main street compared to somewhere like Babylon. Even Islip has a better Main Street (more interesting stores/whatever).
Again Value plays...not whats nicer ..Babylon or EI.



C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 13,094,208 times
Reputation: 4445
I was just stating if we are talking about Main Streets, I think EI's is lacking. However off the Main St. there are some gorgeous homes. I'm thinking of that development called "The Moorings." (something like that).

Both EI and Babylon are good value areas, but I prefer Babylon.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 17,195 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I was just stating if we are talking about Main Streets, I think EI's is lacking. However off the Main St. there are some gorgeous homes. I'm thinking of that development called "The Moorings." (something like that).




Both EI and Babylon are good value areas, but I prefer Babylon.
As do I.

Keepers been warning us about us veering off topic.

You dont think Babylon Village is pricey?

C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-29-2007 at 06:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 13,094,208 times
Reputation: 4445
Yes, it is VERY pricey but nice. Out of my league for sure.

However, I was there this weekend (going to Sherry's for my natural medicine) and it was looking a bit grotty (as the British say) in spots. A mentally ill man was pacing up and down Deer Park Ave. talking to himself (and anyone else in the area). Also parts of Park Avenue are spotty (toward Deer Park Ave) because they have a bunch of apartments in those big, big houses.

(your favorite topic--slumlords)...

PS How many times are they going to change the name of that bar on the corner?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 17,195 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, it is VERY pricey but nice. Out of my league for sure.

However, I was there this weekend (going to Sherry's for my natural medicine) and it was looking a bit grotty (as the British say) in spots. A mentally ill man was pacing up and down Deer Park Ave. talking to himself (and anyone else in the area). Also parts of Park Avenue are spotty (toward Deer Park Ave) because they have a bunch of apartments in those big, big houses.

(your favorite topic--slumlords)...

PS How many times are they going to change the name of that bar on the corner?
Thats a shame BV worked really hard to get it back on track

Best
C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 5,854,685 times
Reputation: 1819
A lot of people talk about how Rocky Point is nice...thing is, that's too far east for me. I really don't want to buy a house any further east than Smithtown; that's really the furthest I'll go. I grew up in Smithtown, which I loved, but in some ways I want to be closer to the city and have a better commute. Hmmm, better commute with a town I may not like as much vs. a further commute but a town I love that I grew up in. Not sure what to decide. Eh, I still have a few years before I buy a house, i've got time to decide
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top