U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM

2,268 posts, read 2,211,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I agree, paying $13,000 taxes for a high-ranch on a quarter-acre lot would make anyone go insane. Yikes!

When I sold my parents' home in Dix Hills (Town of Huntington, NY) in 2009, the property taxes were approximately $23,000.00 per year for a colonial home on one acre of land. How'd you like to spend $23K/year in property taxes alone (along with all the other assessed taxes, fees, utilities, et al)? Double-yikes!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Queens IS a borough of New York City. So it's not 'generally considered NYC'...it IS NYC.
Some areas that border Nassau County are apparently in talks now to be re-zoned to Nassau County. That will mean higher taxes for some of us
That being said, I don't know of any 'New England' type towns really. Although Port Jeff, Cold Spring Harbor, Oyster Bay, Sea Cliff are by the water - none are really like New England.
The OP also didn't give budget, as some of those areas are very pricey.
Queens is a borough of NYC however it is geographically situated ON Long Island -- hence 'generally considered NYC'. BTW 'generally considered NYC' implies it is within the boundaries of NYC. There are those out there unfamiliar with the finer points of LI and NYS geography vs. man made borders who don't know the difference.

And which areas specifically on the Queens/Nassau border are in talks? I would love to read a link. Please be so kind as to provide one.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,840,221 times
Long Island is an island located in the southeast part of the U.S. state of New York, just east of Manhattan. Stretching northeast into the Atlantic Ocean, Long Island contains four counties, two of which are boroughs of New York City (Queens and Brooklyn),[1] and two of which are mainly suburban (Nassau and Suffolk). The term "Long Island" often refers only to Nassau and Suffolk counties in order to differentiate them from New York City, though all four counties on the island are part of the New York metropolitan area.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Queens is a borough of NYC however it is geographically situated ON Long Island -- hence 'generally considered NYC'. BTW 'generally considered NYC' implies it is within the boundaries of NYC. There are those out there unfamiliar with the finer points of LI and NYS geography vs. man made borders who don't know the difference.

And which areas specifically on the Queens/Nassau border are in talks? I would love to read a link. Please be so kind as to provide one.
Me too! I have not heard anything about this and I live on the Queens/Nassau border.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM

12 posts, read 19,065 times
Even though Long Island is a great place to raise a family, MANY people are now moving out. This is because taxes, especially in Nassau County, are through the roof. Im talking towns with tax averages of 16-17,000 dollars. Towns like Rockville Centre, Hewlett, and Roslyn. Many people from my neighborhood are moving down to North Carolina, Connecticut, eastern LI and New Jersey, because life on Long Island is only good if you have lots of money. Taxes are much cheaper in CT, NJ, and even Brooklyn Queens and Staten Island.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM

2,704 posts, read 3,132,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandiihearts View Post
I am looking for a pretty town in Long Island. I grew up in a place with a couple 'ghetto'-type areas, and ugly shopping centers, so I am looking to avoid that. I love quaint England towns, so if there is a place with nice architecture and such like there that would be appreciated. I am open to living other places in NY, but focusing on Long Island.

It really depends on what kind of money you make. We lived in Stony Brook for 8 years and it would meet your needs. Port Jefferson and East Setauket too. I was making decent money but taxes went from $13,000 to over $20,000 and for that $7,000 increase we did not get anymore services. From a NY'er for 52 years you'd be better off moving out of state. We just bought a 4 bedroom 2 bath older home in Ohio for $77,000. The area is very nice and quaint. We're just sorry that we didn't move earlier, because we could have bought a mansion cash for the down payment for our home in Stony Brook. Good Luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM

4,123 posts, read 6,704,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
It really depends on what kind of money you make. We lived in Stony Brook for 8 years and it would meet your needs. Port Jefferson and East Setauket too. I was making decent money but taxes went from $13,000 to over $20,000 and for that $7,000 increase we did not get anymore services. From a NY'er for 52 years you'd be better off moving out of state. We just bought a 4 bedroom 2 bath older home in Ohio for $77,000. The area is very nice and quaint. We're just sorry that we didn't move earlier, because we could have bought a mansion cash for the down payment for our home in Stony Brook. Good Luck.
responding to an old thread with irrelevant information? City Data at it's finest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or