U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,222 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a pretty town in Long Island. I grew up in a place with a couple 'ghetto'-type areas, and ugly shopping centers, so I am looking to avoid that. I love quaint England towns, so if there is a place with nice architecture and such like there that would be appreciated. I am open to living other places in NY, but focusing on Long Island.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Price range?
Commuting to NYC?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:13 PM

449 posts, read 905,405 times
The Hamptons
Many north shore towns
Amityville
Babylon Village
Montauk
Riverhead
Probably many others

Old 11-25-2011, 03:25 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,323,267 times
Dont go east of route 110 if you value your sanity

Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,518,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandiihearts View Post
I am looking for a pretty town in Long Island. I grew up in a place with a couple 'ghetto'-type areas, and ugly shopping centers, so I am looking to avoid that. I love quaint England towns, so if there is a place with nice architecture and such like there that would be appreciated. I am open to living other places in NY, but focusing on Long Island.
If ur looking for new englandesque area than huntington, manhasset, rockcille centre, southampron might for u.

Please include more info, preferably as muxh as u can so we can,narrow it down more

Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,982,258 times
Northport is a very picturesque village on LI that resembles a New England town in its appearance. Complete with harbor, small park by the harbor, captains' houses, and an old fashioned downtown area.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Northport is a very picturesque village on LI that resembles a New England town in its appearance. Complete with harbor, small park by the harbor, captains' houses, and an old fashioned downtown area.

I second Northport .
And if the budget permits, you can add Cold Spring Harbor to the list - an old whaling "town".

Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM

239 posts, read 417,218 times
Avoid Long Island if you can, it's turned into a rat race. The biggest problem with Long Island is OVERPOPULATION. I am native of Garden City and I could not wait to get out. It is just way too freaking crowded, as is most of the NYC metro area. Something that should only be a 15 minute car ride is a 30 minute ride during the day. My mom said she can't even go out to lunch anymore because the traffic is so bad.
Yes there are nice malls here, but you can't even enjoy shopping on a weekend because it's so crowded. Forget going to Roosevelt Field after 12pm on a weekend. The stores are so picked through and have little selection unless you go early in the season or just get lucky. Want to go to the beach? Way too crowded also. While Long Island does have nice, clean beaches you will be stuck in 40 minute traffic trying to get there, fight for a parking spot, and have no space.
Western Nassau is the worst. Feels more like Queens than Long Island. Even most of Western Suffolk has become more build up and crowded. Eastern Suffolk still has some nice farms and vineyards, but not like what it used to be. Vacationing in the Hamptons or Montauk is way overpriced for the most part.
The problem with Long Island is that geographically it is an island, so there is limited space for population growth. Unlike all other American cities that are on the mainland, they were better able to keep up better with their population growth because they had more room to expand unlike NYC/LI metro area. Personally, I think one of the main reasons why Long Island is so expensive is supply and demand, too much demand to move here but not enough supply for land and expansion. I feel the overpopulation here has made people stressed out and have no sense of outdoor recreational activity.
I moved to Albany, NY a little over a year ago because I attended college in the area. While I may not stay there permanently and it does not have the best weather, it is way better than living on Long Island. People are much more laid back, calm, and has great outdoor recreation such as hiking, biking, and water rafting. The suburbs are much more spacious, cleaner, prettier, and have better schools than Long Island from what I hear. Albany may not be as exciting as NYC and other big cities, but the state government and several prestigious colleges make the area diverse and have an overall well-educated population. Saratoga Springs is gorgeous and while it is pricey it is not where near as expensive as most of NYC and LI. The cost of living in the capital region is very well-priced and much more affordable. Albany metro area being less crowded and cheaper offers a much better quality of life compared to Long Island IMO.
If really would prefer to stay on Long Island I would suggest Port Washington, Rockville Center, Long Beach, Port Jefferson. These towns have a very nice ambiance and somewhat of a village/downtown area. I would not recommend my hometown Garden City because it's kind of snooty and you feel like you're in a bubble. Good Luck!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,593,264 times
Roslyn village is quaint with the grist mill and duck pond. Housing very pricy however.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
The OP asked for a place that looked like a "quaint England town." Not New England, rather England, unless that was a typo. I cannot think of any area near Albany or Long Island that has any semblance to Yorkshire or Cornwall and "English town" is a rather broad description. Unless of course, we have two trolls on this thread writing first posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or