Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon0446 View Post
I didn't go to shop but I went past a few place last night just before midnight like Target, Best Buy, and Kohls to see how long the lines were. It was crazy the amount of ppl waiting to get into those places. This morning I had to look through the ads to see what great deals they had that made ppl waste all that time and I didn't see anything that was all that good of a deal. And the few deals that might have been worth it if you looked at the ad they said they had a min of 10 per store or like Sears they only had a min of 3 for alot of the things they had in the ad. So if there were already 20 ppl on line why would you get on the line the best deals will be gone by the time you get in. Let alone getting on the line when there's already a couple hundred ppl already waiting.
Yesterday I leafed through all the ads and I agree -- there weren't a lot of great deals to warrant venturing out at some obscene time in the AM, or chasing guests out early. Bob's had several 'early bird by 1PM' deals which were very good like Carolina logger boots for $80. The lowest I've seen them is $120. Everything I bought was clothing and shoes -- stuff I tend not to buy online. While the bird was cooking yesterday, I did a lot of online shopping for electronic gadgets.

My oldest went out at 6 AM and said the crowds were minimal, and that most of the electronics places had plenty of inventory.

Tomorrow is Small business Saturday and the Stony Brook Village shopping center sent out mailings with some decent coupons. American Express will credit back the first $25 spent at a small business. I already have a gift picked out at one of the shops which will only be $7 after the 20% off and $25 Amex credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
IMO I think many people don't shop online because they don't want to pay for shipping and the fact that they have to actually look at the item in the store first before buying it. My mother in laws reason for not shopping online is she is afraid her credit information will get stolen. I told her they could steal her credit card information in the store as well. She refuses to buy online. I find with online shopping sometimes you get more choices than what's carried in the store. I think it's nuts to step into any store from now until Christmas. Online shopping is also more relaxing.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:41 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
No way. If I do any shopping in person and not online, it's during a weekday in December. I like the displays, decorations, and music in the stores, but not the mobs.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:48 PM

160 posts, read 316,888 times
Shop online. Most stores offer price match, you can always make an adjustment after the fact if you spend more before Black Friday.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 PM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
I went to the book store, there was no line... I think that says a lot about our society today.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
IMO I think many people don't shop online because they don't want to pay for shipping and the fact that they have to actually look at the item in the store first before buying it. My mother in laws reason for not shopping online is she is afraid her credit information will get stolen. I told her they could steal her credit card information in the store as well. She refuses to buy online. I find with online shopping sometimes you get more choices than what's carried in the store. I think it's nuts to step into any store from now until Christmas. Online shopping is also more relaxing.
Just about every store, especially the chains offer free shipping all year. Ones that do not usually do around holidays. Some if not all have minimum purchases mostly as low as $25 or $50 depending on company. If you know what you want it should be easy. Certain things are easy, but not everything. You cab just search name store + free shipping + promotions and you will get link or codes for all specials. Most of the time it is cheaper than the store.

You see if you search for promo codes online for dtore you want you can get free shipping &/or extra 20% off. Some stores only allow 1 code..some more so you can combine free shipping and extra discounts like for instance $10 off $50 & up purchase or a 20% off . Kohls for example allows 2 codes per order. Right now there is a code I found that allows 20% off any order no minimum and they automatically give free shipping on $25 or more, no code needed for shipping. If you have a 2nd code for something special you can combine, as long as it is different like say particular code for a specific item at a specific price or extra off in certain dept.

Happy Shopping

Delivery to door beats lugging pkgs. myself

Also important mote if you buy items that you need delivered say Large TV,furniture..you will likely go to store to get sale..that discount is eaten up by the charges for delivery. Which i am sure the stores know they make up for the discount by high delivery charges. If you have code and can get same sale for item online and the free shipping code &/or extra code for $ off..you get a better deal online!!

It works have done it many times.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
I went to the book store, there was no line... I think that says a lot about our society today.
I use the library, used book stores, DL books on the iPad and occasionally purchase online. If anything, the absence of a line in the bookstore could be indicative of readers utilizing modern readers or exploring less expensive options.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:48 PM

160 posts, read 316,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I use the library, used book stores, DL books on the iPad and occasionally purchase online. If anything, the absence of a line in the bookstore could be indicative of readers utilizing modern readers or exploring less expensive options.
I somewhat agree. But NO line at all..is indicative of the uneducated and disinterested society we live in. I agree with that as well.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I somewhat agree. But NO line at all..is indicative of the uneducated and disinterested society we live in. I agree with that as well.
Many stores had extra staff on hand to accommodate shoppers and keep things moving. The 'no line' poster doesn't indicate whether there was 1 or 10 registers open, how many checkout locations there were in the store, the time of day, whether the book store was offering any 'door buster' sales -- all factors which would influence how many people were/weren't on a line.

When Borders was still open over here, there were times of day when the store was busy, and other times I could get in and out without a line. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest the lack of a line at a book store on Black Friday implies we're an illiterate or uninformed populace.

TV interviews of Black Friday shoppers indicated they were buying a lot of essentials -- clothing, shoes, in addition to gifts for children. If anything, the lack of a line (BTW what constitutes a line to the book store person?) at the bookstore says more about the economy and society's embrace of ebooks.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/e...oks-suffer-do/

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 11-25-2011 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include link.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:29 PM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

TV interviews of Black Friday shoppers indicated they were buying a lot of essentials -- clothing, shoes, in addition to gifts for children. If anything, the lack of a line (BTW what constitutes a line to the book store person?) at the bookstore says more about the economy and society's embrace of ebooks.

Ebook sales in the US double year-on-year, paper books suffer double-digit losses -- Engadget
The TV interviews I saw had people (who obviously place little value on their time) waiting outside for hours for TVs and Xboxes as well as other crap.

Even when Borders had their closing sales with books at 70% off, the lines ere never out of the door or anything. But let the nintendo wii go for 50% off; people will be lined up for miles.

But I can't front, I use a Nook, and only went to the store because the 2 books I wanted were not popular, therefore they weren't available in ebook format.

-the book store person

You guys are really entertaining! lolz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island