U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,189,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Now THAT, I'm going to disagree with. I've traveled quite a bit and lived other places than here, and although the Island has some beauty in its beaches, parks, and so on, when you consider housing and infrastructure, in no way is it "nicer than most of the country." Oh, hell no!
so leave the Island if its so much better elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,844,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
so leave the Island if its so much better elsewhere.
Believe me, I'd love to. But this isn't about me. The point of my comment was to refute the statement that Suffolk is nicer than most of the country. Sorry if it stings your pride, but I call 'em as I see 'em.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:07 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,189,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Believe me, I'd love to. But this isn't about me. The point of my comment was to refute the statement that Suffolk is nicer than most of the country. Sorry if it stings your pride, but I call 'em as I see 'em.
Fair enough for me.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:34 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,325,034 times
Its amazing how many people are stuck on Long Island. Most because of their jobs or their spouses jobs. Some suckle on the gov'ts teat for employment so unfortunately they have to stay.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,935,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Its amazing how many people are stuck on Long Island. Most because of their jobs or their spouses jobs. Some suckle on the gov'ts teat for employment so unfortunately they have to stay.
It's sad to be trapped in a place that you don't like for the best years of your life so that when you're an old fogey you can have money coming in. What do you call someone who suckles off someone else who suckles on the gov'ts teat for employment so unfortunately they have to stay?

Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Paging Dman!

See what you've started here by innocently giving a compliment to Patchogue? (Or are you another crafty puppeteer? )

Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 AM

332 posts, read 710,164 times
Suffolk is bigger than Nassau, yeah, but it's similar in the amount of villages and hamlets (and population). Youre not making any sense here. Land area is irrelevant.

--My point was that it is a much larger land area, and as such, might have a bit more less than desirable spots because they can be spread out over a greater land area.

Okay. It's obvious you haven't really seen most of Nassau. What area in Nassau south shore does Nassau "claim" as their white trash/redneck areas that are like Shirley and Mastic??!?? This should be interesting. And your demographics are off , as I_Love just mentioned.

--Well since you love bashing Patchogue, Shirley, Mastic, RP, Wading River and all of these Suffolk towns, I was kindly pointing out that Nassau has very similar areas. Some people on these boards just seem to have blinders on and are not aware of their surroundings....you are calling a spade a spade....is there really a difference between Elmont or say....Brentwood.....probably not....so we are talking minor details here.

What's funny is, you're talking about the Town of Hempstead only. Have you seen properties in the Town of Oyster Bay and Town of North Hempstead? The other 2/3rds of Nassau? There's plenty of 60x100, 80x100, 100x100 to half-acre properties in the hamlets/villages in both those Towns with extremely private backyards, large roads with sidewalks, sewers and no major areas with cesspools. People exaggerate the space that exists in Suffolk. My Village, and most of the hamlets/villages in Town of Oyster Bay & North Hempstead are similar in lot sizes to most of Suffolk. Explain that.

-YES....and most of these places and towns are not affordable to the people on these boards.....just like the Hamptons in Suffolk or Belle Terre or Old Field in Suffolk, both counties have their very nice areas as well....just like in terms of Suffolk you are mostly bashing the town of Brookhaven for its "redneck trash"....

See above. My backyard has plenty of privacy; and to be honest, I think 80x100 is plenty of space -- unless I was gonna put a pool in or some other major project, I don't even think I'd want more than that considering how much landscapers charge these days.[/quote]

--Whats plenty of privacy? My point was that the AVERAGE house in Nassau has far less property than a similar one in Suffolk....It is well known that in Suffolk you get better value for your money....more property, more privacy, and more land. IF you are happy with 80x100 thats fine I am not attacking your preferences, I am saying that personally I prefer the larger properties, and more space that Suffolk has to offer...

Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
--Well since you love bashing Patchogue, Shirley, Mastic, RP, Wading River and all of these Suffolk towns, I was kindly pointing out that Nassau has very similar areas. Some people on these boards just seem to have blinders on and are not aware of their surroundings....you are calling a spade a spade....is there really a difference between Elmont or say....Brentwood.....probably not....so we are talking minor details here.
WHAT????

What in the world kind of credibility does THAT statement have?

When the $&^#!#$ did Elmont get its own OFFICIAL CONSULATE TO EL SALVADOR like Brentwood has?

I'd really like to know since you consider it almost identical to Brentwood.

Elmont may be a bit shopworn, but it is not in the third world.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
On a forum based around a bunch of people wasting their time, this topic of Nassau vs Suffolk is an even bigger waste of time.

That's like a waste of time squared. It's almost as bad as trying to have an intelligent conversation with Gpsma
Yet it is an ever-recurring theme on here.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
On a forum based around a bunch of people wasting their time, this topic of Nassau vs Suffolk is an even bigger waste of time.

That's like a waste of time squared. It's almost as bad as trying to have an intelligent conversation with Gpsma
LI/CD(NvS)=TW2

As for the 2nd part, it has been sucked into the same black hole which magically transports people from RP to LIE at warp speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island